Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-21, 01:22 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
This topic falls under "I'm going to criticize somebody for doing something we both enjoy but choosing to participate in it in a different way".

I guess there shouldn't be bowling leagues, golf leagues, run races, or anything involving a greater level of dedication with the purpose of competing with each other.

Next.........
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-06-21, 01:31 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Weak

*EDIT: Do better, OP.

Last edited by growlerdinky; 05-06-21 at 01:33 PM. Reason: do better.
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 05-06-21, 01:35 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpMan
...when they invest in lighter bikes this get's them even faster.
Accurate. Fast is fun. More fast is more fun.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-06-21 at 09:43 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 05-06-21, 01:38 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Stuff like this is so funny to me. So when I get off work today the first thing I'll do is hop on one of my 18-19 lb road bikes in spandex and do a hard 25-30 miles. Then I'll eat dinner and then go back out in shorts, tee shirt and loafers on the 3 speed, 33 lb Guv'nor for another 10 miles or so of just cruising and enjoying the time out. So in one case I'm a wanna be but the other I'm totally fine?? LOL!!!!!!!

Last edited by jamesdak; 05-06-21 at 02:20 PM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 05-06-21, 01:39 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

I'm okay with TdF type riders, but those MFn Strade Bianche type riders really get under my very, very, very thin skin.
Old 05-06-21, 01:41 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Music is my primary hobby, even ahead of cycling. I'm guilty as charged of being that "that guy" in music. I own a much better instrument than I would strictly need on utilitarian merits alone. I spend hours practicing at home, developing a level of skill way beyond what any amateur performance is likely to call for. It is quite unlikely that I will ever share the bandstand with famous performers.

On a web forum for the instrument that I play, there are similar threads about why people bother with all of this. Often it's trolls, but sometimes a sincere person wonders if they really need to drain their bank accounts to get started on this instrument.

Why do some amateur musicians equip and push themselves to play at a level far beyond any anticipated "need" for skill, equipment, etc.? I don't think any straightforward explanation is possible, beyond "because it's there."
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 05-06-21, 01:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Music is my primary hobby, even ahead of cycling. I'm guilty as charged of being that "that guy" in music. I own a much better instrument than I would strictly need on utilitarian merits alone. I spend hours practicing at home, developing a level of skill way beyond what any amateur performance is likely to call for. It is quite unlikely that I will ever share the bandstand with famous performers.

On a web forum for the instrument that I play, there are similar threads about why people bother with all of this. Often it's trolls, but sometimes a sincere person wonders if they really need to drain their bank accounts to get started on this instrument.

Why do some amateur musicians equip and push themselves to play at a level far beyond any anticipated "need" for skill, equipment, etc.? I don't think any straightforward explanation is possible, beyond "because it's there."
A few pieces in my collection of musical gear cost way more than my mediocre skill level can probably justify. I also have a ton of mediocre stuff, more of it than my current lack of musical activity can probably justify.
Old 05-06-21, 01:48 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
This topic falls under "I'm going to criticize somebody for doing something we both enjoy but choosing to participate in it in a different way".

I guess there shouldn't be bowling leagues, golf leagues, run races, or anything involving a greater level of dedication with the purpose of competing with each other.

Next.........

So, I was at the driving range with some regular old AT&T Byron Nelson Classic -type golfers, just working out the kinks. Sure, there were some Waste Management Phoenix Open - type guys, and a handfull of Taiwan Swinging Skirts LPGA type ladies. So there I was, just swinging along, when this big black Cadillac Escalade pulled up, and out poured all theses Masters, and Open - type players. Then another pulled up and all these Players Championship - type players got out. They came over and started hitting balls farther than me, and with greater accuracy.

What do you call this activity? Is there a name?

*EDIT: corrected punctuation

Last edited by growlerdinky; 05-06-21 at 01:49 PM. Reason: I already said why. Don't dig. You'll get dirt under your fingernails. Then they'll have to be removed.
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 05-06-21, 02:07 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I call them "wanna be tour de-france riders" i see every day a few who dress fancy expensive riding clothes and ride bikes that cost more than grand and ride as if they trying to set world record in speed, (often are running trough red light).
I think this is your first mistake, trying to divine someone else's motivations by just watching them. Do you watch a speeding motorist and think they want to be in the Indianapolis 500?
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-06-21, 02:30 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Pie-eating contests?
Pie?

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Sign me up!!!!!!

Too late...I've already eaten them (yes ALL of them). "Go ride your plastic bike you skinny ****" and "Get on the sidewalk Lance!" /channeling the op
Old 05-06-21, 02:37 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

OP;

It's called LARP'ing. Like those rednecks that do Civil War re-enactments. Or the uber:nerdy dorks who "craft" swords and attend Amtgard yearly.

[Serious]
While we're on the subject...can anyone provide me with the links, much like the OP, but from Carbon Fiber Roadie's (may they all get hit by a truck, patooie!) who post this kind of tripe about people on bikes different from them? Is there a roadie squad on here that's always (not ironically) putting down what other people are riding and wearing? I can think quite a few of these threads in just the last 3 months alone insulting "lycra clad racers" or "tour de France" wannabe's in this sneering condescending manner. Where are the threads where the eating disorder crowd is jeering the people on their Surly's with flip flops and acid wash Levi jean shorts riding to the Fresh Market?
[/Serious]

Last edited by aplcr0331; 05-06-21 at 02:43 PM.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 05-06-21, 02:45 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I like how in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty one there are still people whose first go-to insult for anyone in Lycra is "LANCE!!!!111!!!" even though he hasn't been relevant in over a decade.

It reminds me of the 2015 Kansas City Royals -- at the beginning of the season they got in a lot of bench clearing shouting matches brawls over hit-by-pitches and because they play in Kauffman Stadium a lot of people started making jokes about "Straight Outta Kauffman" as a riff on the single by N.W.A., Straight Outta Compton.

A local boomer TV sports guy made some dumb joke on twitter about how he had to get the younger employees to explain the joke to him.

"Straight Outta Compton" was released in 1988 and at the time this all happened was 27 years old. Those danged kids who had to explain the joke to him were probably not even in elementary school when the single was released.

In conclusion, please update your references.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 05-06-21, 02:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I call them "wanna be tour de-france riders"
Hot take.

Sign me up for your sad little newsletter.

Are you saying it's not ok to like to ride fast just for its own sake?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-06-21, 02:51 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I call them "wanna be tour de-france riders" i see every day a few who dress fancy expensive riding clothes and ride bikes that cost more than grand and ride as if they trying to set world record in speed, (often are running trough red light).

They all are skinny and probably would be fast riding any bike, but when they invest in lighter bikes this get's them even faster.

Never understood this what this riders are all about, are they try to set world record in speed or something, i doubt that they ever will participating in any cycling sport events.

I know there's such thing as bicycle industry and marketing that popularize this, e.g. fishing industry for example and if you go to fishing store you see thousands of lures, hooks, and different types fancy rods when in reality do you really need to make it so complicated to catch a fish?

I know this is also some kind of popularized thing, but what is it all about?

pimping aint easy
Likes For spdntrxi:
Old 05-06-21, 02:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Which sports should adults be allowed to participate in? Pie-eating contests?

I like to combine them. The faster I ride, the sooner I get pie.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-06-21, 02:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Stuff like this is so funny to me. So when I get off work today the first thing I'll do is hop on one of my 18-19 lb road bikes in spandex and do a hard 25-30 miles. Then I'll eat dinner and then go back out in shorts, tee shirt and loafers on the 3 speed, 33 lb Guv'nor for another 10 miles or so of just cruising and enjoying the time out. So in one case I'm a wanna be but the other I'm totally fine?? LOL!!!!!!!

Do you wave at yourself?

I'm thinking before dinner you is totally going to snub after dinner you.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-06-21, 02:58 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
I agree this is pretty weak, especially from someone who has been a member since 2018. Seems as if there is an inverse snobbery thread every couple of weeks. Nevertheless, cycling is all inclusive and you are welcome to ride a BSO in your jorts, wife beater and flip flops as often and as far as you like. Nobody will wonder or even care "what the deal is" with you. Just be sure to wave!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-06-21, 03:00 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Originally Posted by ksryder
I like how in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty one there are still people whose first go-to insult for anyone in Lycra is "LANCE!!!!111!!!" even though he hasn't been relevant in over a decade.

It reminds me of the 2015 Kansas City Royals -- at the beginning of the season they got in a lot of bench clearing shouting matches brawls over hit-by-pitches and because they play in Kauffman Stadium a lot of people started making jokes about "Straight Outta Kauffman" as a riff on the single by N.W.A., Straight Outta Compton.

A local boomer TV sports guy made some dumb joke on twitter about how he had to get the younger employees to explain the joke to him.

"Straight Outta Compton" was released in 1988 and at the time this all happened was 27 years old. Those danged kids who had to explain the joke to him were probably not even in elementary school when the single was released.

In conclusion, please update your references.
I've been called Lance a number of times, usually from big truck driving dudes, I think it's kind of funny. I've heard people say along the lines of "drive like Mario Andretti" lol, I mean when was he relevant? 80's? I still play pickup basketball from time to time (not for the last year) and I still get called Jeff Hornacek or Larry Bird. Got called Stockton a lot when I was living in SoCal...

People driving 3,000lb death missiles jeering at cyclists probably aren't following the latest signings in the pro peloton. Hell, I can't pronounce Tadej Pogacar...you want Steve the General Contractor driving the supped up Hemi bellowing out that name to you on your ride? So, Lance it is...
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 05-06-21, 03:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
My neighbour has a Nascar decal on his car.

He doesn't race.

Who do I report him to?
Ricky Bobby.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-06-21, 03:06 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Just be sure to wave!
Or in the OP's case be sure to stare at the girls ass riding in front of you and give her a "seductive" bell ring so she really "knows what's up".

https://www.bikeforums.net/22032355-post59.html
Old 05-06-21, 03:09 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Kauffman Stadium? That's what all the young whippersnappers call Royals Stadium!

Now, where did I leave my John Cougar cassettes....
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 05-06-21, 03:11 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
the fast skinny rider might've been trying to keep as far away from the general public while also enjoying the free air gaining some cardio improvements.
I don't mind those types, they tend to show me where the hazards are.
Old 05-06-21, 03:19 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Or in the OP's case be sure to stare at the girls ass riding in front of you and give her a "seductive" bell ring so she really "knows what's up".

https://www.bikeforums.net/22032355-post59.html
Wow, how creepy! Wonder why they let that one stay up? I helped him in another thread but it may be time for the iggy list....

Last edited by shelbyfv; 05-06-21 at 03:36 PM.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-06-21, 03:37 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think this is your first mistake, trying to divine someone else's motivations by just watching them. Do you watch a speeding motorist and think they want to be in the Indianapolis 500?
Imagine picking up some feminine products for someone in desperate need & the OP happens to catch a glimpse at your checkout purchases going over the scanner.
Enter the judgement zone.
Old 05-06-21, 03:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by aplcr0331
OP;
Where are the threads where the eating disorder crowd is jeering the people on their Surly's with flip flops and acid wash Levi jean shorts riding to the Fresh Market?
WT* is the "eating disorder crowd"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.