Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Metatarsal Pain

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-21, 05:35 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Metatarsal Pain

On my road bike I recently switched to platform pedals. I have always ridden with platform pedals on the mountain bike. Currently I am using Five Ten mountain bike shoes. The soles are very flexible. I think that the flexible soles is a major factor causing my foot pain. Before spending another $100 + on new platform shoes, I would appreciate recommendations.
Old 07-26-21, 09:28 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
On my road bike I recently switched to platform pedals. I have always ridden with platform pedals on the mountain bike. Currently I am using Five Ten mountain bike shoes. The soles are very flexible. I think that the flexible soles is a major factor causing my foot pain. Before spending another $100 + on new platform shoes, I would appreciate recommendations.
How recently did you make the change? What kind of pain? Is it just sore foot muscles because you are working your feet more and longer? That should sort itself out. Or is it more like specific pressure points getting sore from pressure coming through the shoe?

Otto
Old 07-27-21, 09:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Try a set of ProFoot Miracle insoles. I have narrow, bony feet with high arches and needed orthotics and insoles since I was a kid. These are the best I've found. Lightweight, resilient, easy to trim to size and shape, inexpensive at around $8-$10 (I buy 'em at Walgreens), and durable. Mine usually last up to a year. I use 'em in almost every pair of cycling shoes, walking and running shoes. It's not memory foam or gel, but a resilient foam that takes a set and conforms under the toes, but keeps the full cushioning support under the arches and heels. They're really remarkably good and a bargain compared with most insoles.

You can use them to replace the original insoles, or add them over or under the existing insole, depending on how the shoe fits. In some cases I've trimmed them back from the toes, and the heel cup to avoid fit problems, keeping only enough of the custom insole for the metatarsals and arches. Even after the flatten out I'll keep the old set for other shoes that might need a double insole but not too much thickness.

Most cycling shoes I've tried -- clipless or platform types -- have insoles that are way too firm, or not thickly padded enough. I almost always replace them after giving the original a try for a few rides. My Fizik and Scott clipless shoe insoles are in a drawer or box in the closet, probably never to be used again. I tried some Five Ten Freeriders in a shop a couple of years ago and while they were good the insoles felt too firm to me.

In some cases metatarsal pain, arch pain, etc., is temporary so you might not need custom insoles for more than a few weeks or months. When I resumed running about 8 months ago, after a 30+ year hiatus, my arches were so weak I needed to double up on the insoles in my Adidas, Under Armour and Atreyu running shoes. But after about six months I was able to use just the ProFoot Miracle or, in some cases, just the original insole.
Old 07-27-21, 09:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I'd go along with the idea that the flexible shoe soles are a problem. It's an easy thing to remedy and see if that's the cause. There are plenty of shoes made specifically for cycling that aren't intended for cleats. And the mtn bike shoes I use with my road bike all came with a cover plate to use if cleats were not desired.

Also foot position on the pedal can be an issue. So maybe change that. It feels funny at first but for me, with cleats, moving my foot forward on the pedal so far has always produced better results once I got over the funny feel. I have them almost as far back as they will go. But it might be a while before I go further back. Maybe next year. I'm not in a hurry.
Old 07-27-21, 10:59 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
I ride with tennis shoes. I use MKS Lambda Platform Pedals. There is also a version with pins in them for more grip. They are longer front to back so you put your foot further forward on the pedal. They are made for soft shoes.
Old 07-27-21, 04:36 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Which FiveTen shoes do you have? I ask because they usually have pretty stiff soles. I use their Freerider Pros and I wouldn’t describe those as very flexible.
Old 07-27-21, 07:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,598 Times in 2,905 Posts
How far is your usual ride? Do you do prolonged hill climbs? What speed do you maintain? When do your feet first start hurting?

Old 07-28-21, 01:49 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Which FiveTen shoes do you have? I ask because they usually have pretty stiff soles. I use their Freerider Pros and I wouldn’t describe those as very flexible.
Mine are not the Pro version. They flex more than sneakers. I would not have bought them if I knew that was the case.
Old 07-28-21, 04:54 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Mine are not the Pro version. They flex more than sneakers. I would not have bought them if I knew that was the case.
I once rode around thirty kilometers with what was a fairly flexible shoe sole. I had lost something valuable somewhere on that route and had to go back to find it. So my total distance that day was sixty kilometers and before the end of it my right foot was in agony. I then bought a pair of stiff smooth sole MTB shoes that I use with the exact same pedals, toe-clips and straps and can now ride all day without foot pain.

The shoes I bought.

Cheers
Old 07-28-21, 05:34 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Something is not quite right here. Fake perhaps? You say not the Pro version. So are these Freeriders or some other model? Because I know they make more flexible trainers and climbing shoes too. But their mtb shoes are nice and stiff on the soles as you would fully expect. I've owned several pairs over the last 5 or 6 years.
Old 07-29-21, 08:28 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Something is not quite right here. Fake perhaps? You say not the Pro version. So are these Freeriders or some other model? Because I know they make more flexible trainers and climbing shoes too. But their mtb shoes are nice and stiff on the soles as you would fully expect. I've owned several pairs over the last 5 or 6 years.
These are the shoes that I have.
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...bike-shoe?sg=3
Old 07-29-21, 08:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Might be the difference of how long and how much power you put into your pedals. Longer rides with more power will require stiffer soles. So two different people might have two different experiences with them.

Too many want to use the "Fake" word to blame things that don't turn out like they wanted.
Old 07-29-21, 09:19 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by Iride01
Might be the difference of how long and how much power you put into your pedals. Longer rides with more power will require stiffer soles. So two different people might have two different experiences with them.

Too many want to use the "Fake" word to blame things that don't turn out like they wanted.
My usual ride is only 20 miles. I am willing to cut my losses and buy a different pair. I need to find one with a stiff sole.
Old 07-29-21, 09:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If they are comfortable enough to walk a hard surface like a concrete sidewalk, then they probably are not stiff enough to ride with if you put a fair amount of power into your pedaling.
Old 07-29-21, 10:30 AM
daniell

I am considering purchasing these shoes. Being that they are designed for cleats, the sole would be stiff. I just don't know whether these would be suitable for platform pedals.
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1257...1&csp=a&pos=13
Old 07-29-21, 10:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

X-alps are what I've been riding for quite a while with SPD cleats and pedal. However there are so many versions of X-alps now. And they don't even make an X-alp shoe that looks like mine anymore.

Mine had more mesh material in them that allowed great cooling when riding in the hot weather. Also dried out quick while riding after being soaked by rain along the way. However very cold in the winter. Don't know what those will be like.

I just replaced mine with some Sidi's that fit my foot wonderfully. Worried about the heat retention and that I'll be feeling like I'm constantly stomping on water after a rain, but like any new purchase, I'll try them and see if I chose poorly or not.

You can also buy direct from Pearl Izumi and they have all sorts of X-Alps, other shoes and other cycling clothes as well. Usually when they have a sale, the others drop their prices too, but sometimes PI is just a little better deal. Other times the other vendors win out.

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sea...vance&show=All

Last edited by Iride01; 07-29-21 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-29-21, 11:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
you might try lacing them differently
Old 07-29-21, 12:03 PM
daniell

Originally Posted by Iride01
X-alps are what I've been riding for quite a while with SPD cleats and pedal. However there are so many versions of X-alps now. And they don't even make an X-alp shoe that looks like mine anymore.

Mine had more mesh material in them that allowed great cooling when riding in the hot weather. Also dried out quick while riding after being soaked by rain along the way. However very cold in the winter. Don't know what those will be like.

I just replaced mine with some Sidi's that fit my foot wonderfully. Worried about the heat retention and that I'll be feeling like I'm constantly stomping on water after a rain, but like any new purchase, I'll try them and see if I chose poorly or not.

You can also buy direct from Pearl Izumi and they have all sorts of X-Alps, other shoes and other cycling clothes as well. Usually when they have a sale, the others drop their prices too, but sometimes PI is just a little better deal. Other times the other vendors win out.

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sea...vance&show=All
From what I read, I can use these for platform pedals with the option of using clipless. I am between sizes. Should I go up or down?
Old 07-29-21, 12:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

From what I read, I can use these for platform pedals with the option of using clipless. I am between sizes. Should I go up or down?
As always, that depends.

There is no standardized foot that the manufacturers base their lasts on. Pearl Izumi's tend to run narrow which is good for my foot. Other cycling shoes tend to run wider for a given size and others even narrower. Few even give you a width selection. Some do, but that is rare now even for a shoe that is just a shoe.

I'll probably always try shoes on before purchase. Even the Sidi's I just bought yesterday I tried on. I didn't get to try on every cycling shoe I wanted to as inventory is low at all the LBS's here. I called other nearby cities and was willing to drive a couple hours, but none had any that I was interested in. I even thought of waiting till I go to Denver in a couple weeks and trying the shops there. But I was way to late replacing my old spd shoes. I needed shoes now. So I got what I could try.

If you can't try locally, then I'd consider what the return policy is for each online vendor you look at. Shoes many times are a different policy than other things they sell.
Likes For Iride01: