Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tips and Tricks

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tips and Tricks

Old 08-23-05, 10:07 PM
Belugadave

Bikes: 1999 LeMond Zurich and 2004 Giant OCR Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. For cold rain or snow, I carry a pair of large dishwashing gloves that I put on over my full finger gloves. They keep my hands warm and dry and they are cheap, very light weight and don't take up much space.

2. I wrap my duct tape around a small pencil so it doesn't take up much space or I wrap it around a section of my frame pump.

3. Guys, I save my first empty Gatorade bottle and keep it in the tent with me so I don't have to leave the tent in the middle of a cold night to relieve myself. It takes up a little space in the pannier, but it is very light weight to carry.

4. When I'm camping, I really like having a soft chair so I have one similar to this that utilizes my Thermarest sleeping pad. It is also lightweight (for a chair) and folds up nicely to strap on to my rear rack.
https://www.backcountry.com/store/CAS...l?CP=Affiliate

5. For a backup to a flashlight or headlamp in case they burn out, I carry one of those little promotional keylight mini flashlights. They are very small and light weight.
Old 08-26-05, 10:02 AM
Magictofu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Ah, but you can squash your bread so it takes up less room. After all, bread is half air! I hadn't thought of that one until the first time my cycling partner and I went grocery shopping on our Australia trip. We got out of the store ... he picked up the loaf of bread ... and squashed it so that the slices were still the same height and width, but their depth had significantly diminished - each piece was about 2 mm thick. Later, when you get to your campsite, and peel off a slice of bread, it plumps up a little bit so it isn't too bad. .
To be honest, I tend to avoid 'squashable' bread and prefer the hard crust stuff... I also tend to buy lots of fruits and veggetables (especially in the summer) to make salads or to eat along the road or in the morning... it takes quite some space... I understand that we all have our own indulgence once on the road and these are mine and for this reason I find it useful to keep some extra space in my bags!

Originally Posted by Machka
You have to be a little bit careful with this one.
-- If the local cyclists are avid, adventuring cyclists who really know cycling (different aspects of it) and know their area, you can get some good answers.
-- But if the local cyclists are the ones who do 5 miles a day on bicycle paths, you'll get the directions to the local bicycle path which might be scenic, but will slow you down significantly and will usually take you quite a bit out of the way. That might be all right, but if you are trying to make some time, it might not be what you're looking for.
-- Or if the local cyclists are racers who easily ride straight up mountains at 30 mph on their 3 lb bicycles, they might tell you that the road ahead is basically flat ... and once you get there you discover you are pushing your 60 lb loaded touring bicycle up the never-ending, steep hills.

It wasn't long before I started taking all directions and suggestions with just a tiny grain of salt.
The idea is to ask the right people! you can usually tell sunday riders from the more adventurous ones... This summer, I avoided a 30 km dirt road thanks to the advice of a cyclist who told me that the shoulders of an otherwise very busy road was paved which made it easy to cycle.
Old 08-26-05, 05:06 PM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More tips:

1)My favorite "multi tool" is a Swiss Army Signature II Lite Knife.

-Very lightweight+pretty darned durable, I allways keep it nearby (in an outside handlebar pocket, or in a pants pocket).
-The tiny blade is suitable for cutting slices of cheese, pepperoni, zip ties etc.
-The scissors can be used to trim nails, mustache/beard, and as scissors on paper (maps, guidebooks ec).
-The nailfile/flatblade screwdriver is the perfect size for deraileur adjustment screws, and also works excellent to pry off beer bottle tops.
-The pen is handy, still works after a couple tours+a trek. Not the greatest ergonomic design if you write novels, but passable for short entries/notes.
-The red LED works great/and is pretty bright. I'm still on the original battery. Handy to find stuff in bags/do some short reading (you have to hold the button on) or find the bathroom in the middle of the night at a hostel, without waking everyone else up by turning on the lites. I've even used it to lite a trail when I was late getting back to camp after a hike, and didn't bring a regular lite.

2) Cycletouring I don't wear a bladder backpack, but take just the bladder (saving a bit of weight). I melt two holes (with a heated awl at home) through the extra plastic at the bottom of Platypus water bags. I then tie off looped reflectorized spectra utility cord through the holes. Makes for a simple handle, as well as a nifty hanger for hanging the bladder off of a branch etc. Super handy for using the bladder for a sponge bath/rinsing dinner ware/filling bottles. Triple/quadruple looping the spectra cord allows for a couple yards of it, with a shorter handle-but then bits of the cord can later be used to repair stuff if needed.
Old 08-26-05, 06:02 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try not to ask car drivers/shopkeepers/random pedestrians for directions. It's always "five minutes" but that's five minutes in a large chunk of metal that takes no extra effort to go up a hill. In fact these guys don't seem to realise that hills exist.
Old 08-26-05, 06:59 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Isn't it funny how non-cyclists often don't have a clue as to their immediate topography?

Originally Posted by Boudicca
Try not to ask car drivers/shopkeepers/random pedestrians for directions. It's always "five minutes" but that's five minutes in a large chunk of metal that takes no extra effort to go up a hill. In fact these guys don't seem to realise that hills exist.
Old 08-26-05, 09:17 PM
ZootNerper

Bikes: Woodrup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As we're on the topic, the absolutely best way of clearing up is water. I live in Thailand and every toilet has a tub of water for flushing and washing. You do your business and then use a bowl (some places have a hose) to run water down your bum and use your other hand to aid the washing. For cleanliness it's the business - no more skid marks on your shreddies. Try it and you'll never look back again! (so to speak)

(Thai toilet paper is no good for wiping as it's only designed to dab dry.)

When I go home (UK) I take a water bottle with me so I can use this technique in more "primitive" conditions. It's the red one - at least I think it's the red one! I keep this one on the bottom of my 3 water cages that I can't get access to unless I stop.

Saves on carrying paper and cleaner too. Want to dry off? Pull up your pants.
Old 08-26-05, 09:25 PM
ZootNerper

Bikes: Woodrup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cut an old inner tube into thick sections (0.75cm-1cm) and use these instead of rubber bands - they don't degrade as fast and are free. I use 1.5 or 1.75 size tyres. The sections fit snuggly round the handbars and stay in place for when you need them.
Old 08-27-05, 10:46 AM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Isn't it funny how non-cyclists often don't have a clue as to their immediate topography?
When someone tells me my destination is X minutes away, I ask, "by car?" If they answer "yes," I multiply by 6 to 10 to arrive at the time to cycle. (The fudge factor varies according to the distance, road conditions, hilliness, how tired I am, and how anxious I am to get there!)
Old 08-27-05, 09:23 PM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gpljr75
Perhaps glistening would have been a better term.
I suppose you could shine them up using the space blanket, but why? Is there going to be a contest or something?

San Francisco, California
Old 08-30-05, 11:46 PM
old bones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hook bunge cord to spoke slow down grab and run theft

half the time i forget to unhook it and i'm wondering whats going on
Old 08-31-05, 08:44 AM
gnz
Being there, doing that

Bikes: Avanti Pioneer Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boudicca
Well, its funny but my experience is the opposite, when I ask for directions to random pedestrians or drivers they will notice Im going by bicycle, then they will try to estimate the actual riding time for me and tell me my destination is soo far away that I should go by bus or something when the actual destination was only 2km away. These of course are the people who think bicycles are toys.
Old 08-31-05, 10:28 AM
Magictofu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gnz
These of course are the people who think bicycles are toys.
They're not!?
Old 09-01-05, 12:00 AM
gnz
Being there, doing that

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregw
It's not a hobble, the technical name is "A front tire holder thingie" just for the record. Here is my one handed model.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...e_id=9172&v=4n
Wow, I just had to pop in and say that after the first day implementing this bungee version of the trick I can surely say that it is the best thing since sliced bread
Old 09-01-05, 12:31 AM
gnz
Being there, doing that

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Magictofu
They're not!?
humm, well err.. ok you got me, let me rephrase that... these people think a bicycle is ONLY a [silly] toy which is the only one those without a car (or suv) could afford play with. Does my point get trough now?

edit: grammar

Last edited by gnz; 09-01-05 at 12:34 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-30-05, 02:24 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Just thought I'd "bump" this post for the benefit of knoxg who might be looking for some good tips and tricks for his brochure.
Old 10-30-05, 02:29 PM
gnz
Being there, doing that

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe if it became a sticky post we could collect even more tips and tricks.
Old 10-30-05, 05:48 PM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Wil Davis
I did a quick check to see if this had already been dealt with, and was surprised to find that it hadn't - or at least not in exactly the same manner as my solution for a "parking brake", which involves using a Velcro™ strap looped through the front wheel and down-tube. It makes the bike much more docile when leaning it against a wall/bench/whatever… (see pic…)

- Wil

PS - this could be better described as a "hobble" than a brake…
Notice the tire saver!
Old 10-31-05, 06:11 PM
Baz
pedalphile

Bikes: For dirt: Brodie Climbmax. For touring: IF Independance. For Commuting: Reflecto-Fixie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you plan on pitching a lot of tarps, go to a camping shop and get a few replacement sections of tentpole (the fancy aluminum kind). They're quite light, and It's much easier than finding sticks every time you try to pitch. If I'm bringing a tent, I bring 3 12" sections, and if I'm not I bring 6.

A u-lock makes an excellent peg hammer.

A shower cap makes an excellent rain cover for your saddle for overnight.

An upside down 2L pot covered with a fleece or a sarong makes a consistently shaped, high enough pillow. (I always had problems with a sore neck from making a pillow from whatever bunched up clothes I had available until I found this trick.)

In cold weather, a thin fleece balaclava can get you from miserable to cozy quite easily.
Old 10-31-05, 06:20 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Baz
An upside down 2L pot covered with a fleece or a sarong makes a consistently shaped, high enough pillow. (I always had problems with a sore neck from making a pillow from whatever bunched up clothes I had available until I found this trick.)
Great tip, thanks!.....as I don't like to sleep on pillows that are too cushie.....

Last edited by roadfix; 11-01-05 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-31-05, 09:04 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A camelbak water bladder makes a perfect pillow. Just blow into the bite valve to inflate to desired thickness and lock the valve. You can leave it in the backpack or remove and wrap with clothes or a towel.

Telescoping trekking poles make great supports for a tarp when there may not be any convenient trees or branches.

A silk sleeping bag liner is very lightweight, adds a bit of extra insulation, and is very compact and lightweight. On warm nights you it may be all you need.

Many quick releases (seatpost or wheel) can be used as emergency tire levers when your plastic ones break.

Don't go crazy carrying spare parts and heavy tools. If you have a major repair job, have someone at home FedEx stuff to you or use overnight delivery from a mailorder place for any parts and tools unavailable locally.

You can make a pot cozy by cementing together pieces of a blue foam sleeping pad. Instead of wasting fuel simmering food like pasta, bring it to a boil then set the pot in the cozy so its completely contained within. The cozy will maintain the temperature and the food will cook as if you were simmering.
Old 10-31-05, 11:16 PM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by supcom
A camelbak water bladder makes a perfect pillow. Just blow into the bite valve to inflate to desired thickness and lock the valve. You can leave it in the backpack or remove and wrap with clothes or a towel.

Telescoping trekking poles make great supports for a tarp when there may not be any convenient trees or branches.

A silk sleeping bag liner is very lightweight, adds a bit of extra insulation, and is very compact and lightweight. On warm nights you it may be all you need.

Many quick releases (seatpost or wheel) can be used as emergency tire levers when your plastic ones break.

Don't go crazy carrying spare parts and heavy tools. If you have a major repair job, have someone at home FedEx stuff to you or use overnight delivery from a mailorder place for any parts and tools unavailable locally.

You can make a pot cozy by cementing together pieces of a blue foam sleeping pad. Instead of wasting fuel simmering food like pasta, bring it to a boil then set the pot in the cozy so its completely contained within. The cozy will maintain the temperature and the food will cook as if you were simmering.
Nice tips. Re the cozies: I've found Relectex insulation easy to work with (for various sizes/shapes) and insulates well also.
Old 11-03-05, 12:43 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Instead of regular old oatmeal (which I'm not too crazy about) try making savory oatmeal - just cook it the same way, but instead of adding honey/raisins/apples etc, just add a dash of dried chicken/vegetable stock, or a some crumbles of bouillon cube.

It ends up tasting like stove-top stuffing that was cooked too long.
Much more palatable for my tastes. (I'm not a sweet tooth except for chocolate)
Old 11-03-05, 12:52 PM
Mr_Super_Socks

Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Belugadave
3. Guys, I save my first empty Gatorade bottle and keep it in the tent with me so I don't have to leave the tent in the middle of a cold night to relieve myself. It takes up a little space in the pannier, but it is very light weight to carry.
sleep in a hammock with a tarp. among numerous other advantages, you can unzip you sleeping bag in the middle of the night and pee out the side straight onto the ground. expecially good when the ground is wet/muddy/snowy.
Old 11-03-05, 01:03 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Super_Socks
sleep in a hammock with a tarp. among numerous other advantages, you can unzip you sleeping bag in the middle of the night and pee out the side straight onto the ground. expecially good when the ground is wet/muddy/snowy.

I just hope you take notice when you're stepping out barefoot, in the cold morning light!
Old 11-03-05, 01:39 PM
Mr_Super_Socks

Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
I just hope you take notice when you're stepping out barefoot, in the cold morning light!
that's the beauty. by morning it's all gone! absorbed into the ground! well, unless it freezes on some snow. that's not so great. also, be sure to jiggle aggressively before zipping up, esp. if you have a down bag.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.