Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 07:34 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I haven't heard the expression much since my competitive days, but it is annoying. I've had arguments with people who think it means lapping wheels from behind. I ride with a younger, stronger, guy occasionally, who does it habitually. Sometimes I want to kill him.

Never heard of this.
Old 04-19-21, 07:36 AM
bampilot06

Apparently I’m that guy. Weird, Usually do it when I am with someone slower and try to push them to go faster. Oops.
Old 04-19-21, 07:41 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,753 Times in 2,766 Posts
Cycling content.

Nasty ass day on the bike. Brutally hard, but at least I wasn't alone. 7.7 mile course, 3/4 mile of rough dirt that takes a right hand turn straight up a hill to the finish. 5.5 laps, because staging is at the Budweiser plant off course, so that meant the dirt and hill were 6 times. There was a wind from the northwest, which meant the downhill sections of the roughly square course all had a cross headwind, which really sucked. Very little rest. We went quick the first time up the hill and dirt, but not brutally so. The second time up the hill, attack city and I was able to hang on, though the field was thinned. The third lap, just before the right into the dirt, they lit it up. 3 got off the front, and I was 20 feet behind after having to pass those with faster fast twitch than myself. By the time I spooled up, I had to pass about 6-8 riders on the dirt. I made the turn, made it up the hill and they had about 50 feet on me, and looking back, I had a little more on the chasers. I just couldn't close it, so I figured rest was best, so I let off, let the 7 riders (come to find out) catch me, and we went on about the business. 4 of the 7 had teammates in the break, so three of us were doing the work. To our credit, we got rid 3 riders, and I dragged myself up the hill the final time in 7th. Hard day, and looking at the times of the youngsters in other classes, we did pretty well for being the cats that drink Geritol.

Last edited by LAJ; 04-19-21 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-19-21, 07:42 AM
LAJ
So it is

6 inches of snow forecast tonight.
Old 04-19-21, 07:51 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
People are weird and they keep getting weirder.
And how!...
Old 04-19-21, 07:53 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Never heard of this.
Rider next to you keeps pushing the pace by staying a half wheel ahead. Don't do it.
Old 04-19-21, 08:04 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Periodical Cicadas. Big 17 year brood coming to the NE.
Oh. Well, that will be noisy.
Old 04-19-21, 08:07 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
Much like Vietcong don't surf, BillyD don't camp.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-19-21, 08:10 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Rider next to you keeps pushing the pace by staying a half wheel ahead. Don't do it.
Should they choose to do it, I let them get ahead and just suck their wheel. If they're too fast for the group, I'll drop them from the front.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-19-21, 08:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
To me, camping always sounds like more fun than it actually turns out to be. "Sleep under the stars! Enjoy the quiet of the wild!" Yeah, and wake up in the middle of the night having to pee, in the freezing cold, while what sounds like a bear but is actually a squirrel rummages through the leaves all around your tent. Wake up to no coffee, like that time Mrs. GeneJockey and I went camping with her class, back when she was a teacher - it was late May in NorCal, so nobody expected it to rain, and so nobody closed up the camp stoves overnight.
I had never camped until the fist night of my cross country bike tour. I woke up to use the bathroom and there was a raccoon on the picnic table trying to get at our food. I was scared to go into the porta-pottie (we were in a group site, away from the plumbed bathrooms) for fear that there might be something like a snake inside. And at first I also used to think that every sound was from a predator or some other big critter. During my second tour out west I camped at a primitive site on a hillside that looked straight at the Tetons. Beautiful, but there were moose tracks around and ripped open tree stumps, which indicates bear activity. The only grassy area to pitch my tent was near the bear locker. Didn't get much sleep that night. Every rustle a branch creek made me nervous.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-19-21, 08:11 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by BillyD
Much like Vietcong don't surf, BillyD don't camp.
Same. No need for that tomfoolery.
Old 04-19-21, 08:15 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by LAJ
I saw these today.

For several years they paraded down a street pulling the wagon in my neighborhood in connection with the Budweiser Made in America Festival, which was held every Labor Day weekend not that far from my house.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-19-21, 08:18 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I had never camped until the fist night of my cross country bike tour. I woke up to use the bathroom and there was a raccoon on the picnic table trying to get at our food. I was scared to go into the porta-pottie (we were in a group site, away from the plumbed bathrooms) for fear that there might be something like a snake inside. And at first I also used to think that every sound was from a predator or some other big critter. During my second tour out west I camped at a primitive site on a hillside that looked straight at the Tetons. Beautiful, but there were moose tracks around and ripped open tree stumps, which indicates bear activity. The only grassy area to pitch my tent was near the bear locker. Didn't get much sleep that night. Every rustle a branch creek made me nervous.
I once got run out of a campsite by a black bear in the middle of the night. Smelled it before I even saw it - ursine smell is a thing. I had heard that black bears are afraid of people, so I waved my arms and yelled "Get the **** out of here!" Bear snorted and took a few steps toward me, so I said (out loud), "Okay, I'll get the **** out of here!" -- and then I ran like hell.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-19-21, 08:29 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
I once got run out of a campsite by a black bear in the middle of the night. Smelled it before I even saw it - ursine smell is a thing. I had heard that black bears are afraid of people, so I waved my arms and yelled "Get the **** out of here!" Bear snorted and took a few steps toward me, so I said (out loud), "Okay, I'll get the **** out of here!" -- and then I ran like hell.
I have told this story before, but...In 2017, during a tour across PA, I was camping on the edge of the Allegheny National Forest (and right next to the prison where Wesley Snipes served his tax evasion sentence). Got while it was still dark and went to toss some paper trash. Saw that the dumpsters had been raided by a bear. There was a giant pile of scat. Walking back to my site I saw another pile about 30' from the tent. Make coffee, eat breakfast and pack up while keeping my head on a swivel. Roll the bike around to the front of the office and lean it up against a bench. About to don my helmet and turn on my lights when I hear the clinking of bottle and stuff. A HUGE black bear come walking out from between the two dumpsters, which were about 25' away from me. Probably at least 600 lbs. (PA bears often get very large. At least two 800+ lb. bears have been taken in legal hunts. One was believed to be the one that ripped a NJ resident's metal garage open to get at the garbage.) Not the way I wanted to start my morning. Stared at each other for about 5 seconds and ten I slowly backed away. He realized I was not a threat and ambled across the driveway and into the brush.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-19-21, 08:30 AM
BillyD
Administrator

We had a little snow harassing the tulips this date last year.

We even had a smidgen of snow May 10 last year.

Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-19-21, 08:35 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by LAJ
I saw these today.

Awesome picture.
Old 04-19-21, 08:37 AM
Koyote

I have told this story before, but...In 2017, during a tour across PA, I was camping on the edge of the Allegheny National Forest (and right next to the prison where Wesley Snipes served his tax evasion sentence). Got while it was still dark and went to toss some paper trash. Saw that the dumpsters had been raided by a bear. There was a giant pile of scat. Walking back to my site I saw another pile about 30' from the tent. Make coffee, eat breakfast and pack up while keeping my head on a swivel. Roll the bike around to the front of the office and lean it up against a bench. About to don my helmet and turn on my lights when I hear the clinking of bottle and stuff. A HUGE black bear come walking out from between the two dumpsters, which were about 25' away from me. Probably at least 600 lbs. (PA bears often get very large. At least two 800+ lb. bears have been taken in legal hunts. One was believed to be the one that ripped a NJ resident's metal garage open to get at the garbage.) Not the way I wanted to start my morning. Stared at each other for about 5 seconds and ten I slowly backed away. He realized I was not a threat and ambled across the driveway and into the brush.
That bear had been waiting for you to throw out your trash -- did you have bacon for breakfast?

I don't know what my bear looked like, since it was 1am. I went to the ranger's residence and found him watching TV. Told him what happened, and he looked at me and said, "What did the bear look like?" (It was a black bear, and the middle of the night.)

I gave him an incredulous look, and responded, "Give me a rifle, and I'll go find out."
Old 04-19-21, 08:43 AM
bampilot06

I used to camp down in the OBX all the time. Back when I was 18 my friends and I were down there almost every weekend. I remember sometimes it would be too hot in the tent, and once I was sleeping on top of my friends van it started to rain.

I took my wife camping to the same camp ground the first week I met her. She had never gone camping before and loved it, but insisted from that time on we would have to bring a blow up mattress. We did that a couple of times, and the last time a cactus punctured the mattress.

Now we plan on getting a camper at some point, but we can’t agree on the amenities. I don’t want something huge, where she basically wants a mobile house with all the fixings.
Old 04-19-21, 08:49 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Weather forecast is wrong. 93 for the high
Two hours out in the sun and now we're inside, in the first tent of three before going inside Prolly two more hours, but in the shade and sitting down. Mexicans spend their lives standing in line. It's one of the first things us impatient foreigners need to get past.

Old 04-19-21, 09:08 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
I used to camp down in the OBX all the time. Back when I was 18 my friends and I were down there almost every weekend. I remember sometimes it would be too hot in the tent, and once I was sleeping on top of my friends van it started to rain.

I took my wife camping to the same camp ground the first week I met her. She had never gone camping before and loved it, but insisted from that time on we would have to bring a blow up mattress. We did that a couple of times, and the last time a cactus punctured the mattress.

Now we plan on getting a camper at some point, but we can’t agree on the amenities. I don’t want something huge, where she basically wants a mobile house with all the fixings.
That's what my wife wants as well. I just priced a Sprinter van conversion out of continuing curiosity. What was selling for about $100k a year ago is now $187k. Hard pass on something that expensive that would be used 3 or 4 times a year at most.
Old 04-19-21, 09:12 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts

An air mattress is nice until the thing leaks. I woke up on some pointed rocks once, that sucked.

I've had 5 different shells and campers on 3 different trucks. The cabover was the best for many reasons, including storage capacity. Plus, it had a porta-potty, a 20 gallon fresh water tank, stove and fridge, and small sink. But one thing I never thought about was the ability to stand up. The fact that I could stand up inside was really nice. It was one that ended at the end of the truck bed, so the truck's tail lights were visible. It weighed about 2000 pounds with our stuff in it.

I had a smaller one that did not go over the truck cab and the whole interior converted to a bed and when you broke it down it had a table with benches along the sides. It was actually quite comfortable but I had to cook outside and use ice chests. Good for most trips and I had a lot of fun with it. It was about 1000 pounds and I had it on an old half ton truck with no problem. I also put it on a heavier truck and towed the motorcycle trailer behind it.

I had a shell that was a bit taller than the truck cab and I built a bed on one side and had storage under the bed and lots of room on the other side and slept well but not really ideal for two people. You can build whatever you want in a shell. It's like a van but wider and taller (sometimes). All of the trucks were 8' beds.

I always had room for at least 1 bike inside and the last camper had a rack for 2 bikes inside which could stay when we were sleeping.

Last edited by big john; 04-19-21 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-19-21, 09:12 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
That bear had been waiting for you to throw out your trash -- did you have bacon for breakfast?
No, but I will confess to carelessness. There was no place for breakfast stuff around so I had brought a cheddar and jalapeno bagel earlier in the day while picking up supplies. After I set up camp that afternoon I put it the gear loft of my tent while I went to shower so rodents would be less likely to go after it. Totally forgot about it there. Not smart in bear country.

This is my favorite photo from the NPS during the plowing of Going to the Sun Road last year. Look at the mitts on mama. There were several other bear sightings that year during plowing operations.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-19-21, 09:14 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Mojo31
That's what my wife wants as well. I just priced a Sprinter van conversion out of continuing curiosity. What was selling for about $100k a year ago is now $187k. Hard pass on something that expensive that would be used 3 or 4 times a year at most.
COVID has driven RV prices way up during the last year.
Old 04-19-21, 09:36 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
COVID has driven RV prices way up during the last year.
Indeed.

Might consider it when the frenzy is over and the foreclosure sales begin.
Old 04-19-21, 09:43 AM
Koyote

This is my favorite photo from the NPS during the plowing of Going to the Sun Road last year. Look at the mitts on mama. There were several other bear sightings that year during plowing operations.
Umm, those look like Grizzlies. If they are, I would've dropped the camera on the pavement as I **** myself and then started riding in the other direction.

Last edited by BillyD; 04-19-21 at 10:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.