Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do we feel better after a ride only after we shower?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do we feel better after a ride only after we shower?

Old 06-14-21, 08:05 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Or when you come around a bend in the forest at 25 mph, a grizzly and get mauled to death like that poor guy did a few years ago near Glacier National Park.
a civilized diet high on fiber?
Old 06-14-21, 08:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
You and whomever makes up "We" for you are doing something wrong if you have to take a shower to feel good.

I get back from a 40 mile ride and am ready to do another. No shower required. Though I am pretty sweaty and probably smelly to others.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-14-21, 08:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
In biking we don’t get runners high. I’m not sure why. Even when going up a big hill, still no runners high. But many of us say we feel better after the ride, once we shower. That is also the case for me. I don’t start to feel the increase in energy until I shower. Is it just mental?
hmmm not sure about that, maybe it's recovery time? but you got me wondering why I notice a tan after a day at the beach, more so after a shower ...
Old 06-14-21, 08:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,266 Times in 7,222 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
a civilized diet high on fiber?
Tragic incident. His brother-in-law was riding a bit behind him and came upon the attack. Of course, there was nothing he could do. The investigation concluded that, depending on actual speed of descent, the deceased had between something like 1 and 3 seconds to react to the bear in the trail. The deceased had injuries that were consistent with an endo crash. The conclusion was that he was bombing the descent, came around the curve, hit the bear, went over the bars and was then attacked.

It happened on Forest Service land that is know to have a good amount of bear activity. I camped at a private campground in the area back in 2003 before a backcountry trip in Glacier. Got out of my tent to take a leak just before dawn and startled what I am sure was a bear behind some grass that behind my site. Thing took off with thundering steps.
Old 06-14-21, 08:53 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Tragic incident. His brother-in-law was riding a bit behind him and came upon the attack. Of course, there was nothing he could do. The investigation concluded that, depending on actual speed of descent, the deceased had between something like 1 and 3 seconds to react to the bear in the trail. The deceased had injuries that were consistent with an endo crash. The conclusion was that he was bombing the descent, came around the curve, hit the bear, went over the bars and was then attacked.

It happened on Forest Service land that is know to have a good amount of bear activity. I camped at a private campground in the area back in 2003 before a backcountry trip in Glacier. Got out of my tent to take a leak just before dawn and startled what I am sure was a bear behind some grass that behind my site. Thing took off with thundering steps.
Number 1 became a number 2 real quick.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-14-21, 09:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,266 Times in 7,222 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Number 1 became a number 2 real quick.
In the grand scheme of my bear encounters, that is way down there. In 2017 I woke up in NW PA during a cross-state tour. Interestingly, the campground abutted the federal prison where actor Wesley Snipes served time for tax evasion. Awoke before dark and walked to the trash dumpsters to toss some papers and saw that they had been raided. There was a large pile of bear scat on the ground. Hit the restroom and saw another pile of scat maybe 25' from my tent. Kept my head on a swivel while I made coffee, at breakfast and packed up. walked my bike around a driveway to the front of the office near the dumpsters. Again, it was just before dawn. Leaned my bike up against a bench and was preparing to turn on my lights and don my helmet. When I heard a the clinking of bottles. Looked over the dumpsters and a humongous black bear walked out from between them. The thing looked to be at least 600l bs. It was mid-September, so it was fattening up for the winter. He was about 25' away. We stared at each other for about 5 seconds and then I started to retreat while keeping and eye on him. He must have realized I was not a threat and ambled off into the brush. Not the way I wanted to start the morning. The following day I saw another one. Much smaller and from a safe distance. He got spooked when he heard me, jumped in a creek and swam across to the other side. Managed to get a shot of him before he disappeared into the brush. I was riding south on the Pine Creek Trail in NE PA. Nice trail from Wellsboro to Jersey Shore, PA.

Old 06-14-21, 09:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
In biking we don’t get runners high. I’m not sure why. Even when going up a big hill, still no runners high. But many of us say we feel better after the ride, once we shower. That is also the case for me. I don’t start to feel the increase in energy until I shower. Is it just mental?

I feel better after I shower because people stop making comments about my sweat smell.

This is obviously a special shower for you and deserves a special name--may I suggest "The Shower of Gold"?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-14-21, 09:34 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I think several posters (including the OP) may not know what what "runner's high" specifically means. It happens WHILE you are running and it is something that happens during extended, highly repetitive, rhythmic, consistent aerobic exertions. It is a little hard to explain if you have not experienced it, but I think it is much less likely to be a part of cycling than running. Not saying it can't happen, but there is a reason it is referred to as a "runner's high" and not a "biking high".
Old 06-14-21, 09:57 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
The investigation concluded that, depending on actual speed of descent, the deceased had between something like 1 and 3 seconds to react to the bear in the trail. The deceased had injuries that were consistent with an endo crash. The conclusion was that he was bombing the descent, came around the curve, hit the bear, went over the bars and was then attacked..
My ride buddy was descending on a road in Glacier Park, when he came around a curve and ran into an adult grizzly. They guy he was riding with yelled at the bear, and the bear ran into the woods, apparently none the worse for wear.

My buddy had several broken ribs and a punctured lung, spent a week in the hospital. It could have been much worse.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-14-21, 10:13 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I think several posters (including the OP) may not know what what "runner's high" specifically means. It happens WHILE you are running and it is something that happens during extended, highly repetitive, rhythmic, consistent aerobic exertions.
Any aerobic exercise can induce the "runner's high", also known as "exercise-induced euphoria". But you have to do it with adequate intensity for a long enough time.

New research shows that endorphins don't produce the high, as was the prevailing thinking. It's cannabinoids: the euphoria of marijuana without the side-effects that make you an idiot.

Except when I'm suffering mightily, I feel euphoric on every ride.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-14-21, 10:18 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
If you have never experienced a true ‘runner’s high’ you would be foolish to comment on it.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 06-14-21, 10:19 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Until he crashed into a lake.
Hey, at least his last hit was a big one.
Old 06-14-21, 10:19 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
the only high i ever felt...oh never mind.
Old 06-14-21, 10:47 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I dunno about you, but I get a runners/riders high almost every time I ride. It can be a long 10 mile stretch where I have no stops. Great feeling! Feel sorry for you if you don't get it.
These moments are rare, but truly enjoyed. I could roll much farther if the stops were greatly reduced.
Old 06-14-21, 10:49 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Any aerobic exercise can induce the "runner's high", also known as "exercise-induced euphoria". But you have to do it with adequate intensity for a long enough time.

New research shows that endorphins don't produce the high, as was the prevailing thinking. It's cannabinoids: the euphoria of marijuana without the side-effects that make you an idiot.

Except when I'm suffering mightily, I feel euphoric on every ride.
I am not about to question someone in particular about whether what they are experiencing is a "runners high", but just because you feel euphoric, does not mean it is the same thing. I have been cycling for decades and have never experienced the same thing as what I did on occasion when I was running in my earlier days. Do I find other sorts of euphoria, bliss, and zen in cycling? Sure. But I've never experienced the same thing as when I was running. Not better or worse, just different. I imagine if I were riding some very consistent road sections and I could find a groove and just stay there for extended periods and to some extent mentally check out, it could happen. But I just don't find that same kind of rhythm and mental state when I am on a bike.

EDIT: of course I should acknowledge that I don't know exactly what other peoples' "runner's high" is like. But for me it was like the act of running became effortless. Like it would be no easier to stop running than to keep running. In some ways I felt like I was just along for the ride. And my mind was really quiet. I just don't think I could maintain that state while operating a bike, as second nature as it is to me. Hard to explain, but there is just something so raw and primordial about running that is very different than cycling to me. It is also a lot harder on my body these days, which is why I don't run enough to experience that high anymore.

Last edited by Kapusta; 06-14-21 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-14-21, 11:52 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 915 Posts
"Runner's high" is pure PR genius.
Old 06-14-21, 11:58 AM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
I am not about to question...
That was an informative post. Thanks.
Old 06-14-21, 12:32 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I thought that was Joe Walsh.

John Denver spoke to God, and I'm pretty sure he was dead sober.
Hardly. He was a big-time stoner.

Joe Walsh was "Rocky Mountain Way." Narcotics must likely also involved.
Old 06-14-21, 12:33 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 935 Posts
At 57 y/o I don't move like I used to. Runner's High? In the zone? Peak Experiences? Euphoria? Call them what you want. I do know that once on a fairly short 25 mile ride around the June Lake Loop in the Eastern Sierra, I had my most recent peak experience. I became lost in the experience of nature and grand vistas.

I find huge efforts on the bike exhaust me and dull my senses, not enhance them. Suffering on the bike does not bring me euphoria, but the setting I am in seems to be the ticket.
Old 06-14-21, 01:00 PM
DreamRider85

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I think several posters (including the OP) may not know what what "runner's high" specifically means. It happens WHILE you are running and it is something that happens during extended, highly repetitive, rhythmic, consistent aerobic exertions. It is a little hard to explain if you have not experienced it, but I think it is much less likely to be a part of cycling than running. Not saying it can't happen, but there is a reason it is referred to as a "runner's high" and not a "biking high".

I'm not sure they know what it is. No, I have gotten it before. And it happens much quicker when running. In fact I never got it from cycling, even when doing tough hills. I'm not sure why that is.
Old 06-14-21, 01:01 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
At 57 y/o I don't move like I used to. Runner's High? In the zone? Peak Experiences? Euphoria? Call them what you want. I do know that once on a fairly short 25 mile ride around the June Lake Loop in the Eastern Sierra, I had my most recent peak experience. I became lost in the experience of nature and grand vistas.

I find huge efforts on the bike exhaust me and dull my senses, not enhance them. Suffering on the bike does not bring me euphoria, but the setting I am in seems to be the ticket.

I don't think enjoying nature has to do with the high. It's more of a body thing.
Old 06-14-21, 01:09 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts

WOW! What a crazy story - scary & true. Its worthy of its own thread too - some much there. He was going really fast around a blind turn and well...you know, slammed into a bear!
Old 06-14-21, 01:12 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I dunno about you, but I get a runners/riders high almost every time I ride. It can be a long 10 mile stretch where I have no stops. Or riding alongside the edge of a mountain road rolling up the grade knowing it's 20 miles long. Great feeling! Feel sorry for you if you don't get it.

I think you're mistaking a runner's high from just enjoying the ride.
Likes For DreamRider85:
Old 06-14-21, 01:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
In 15 years of running, only experienced the high twice but would only 4 to 6 miles at a time. Most of the time it felt like stoic necessary drudgery ‘to get in a workout”. For many of those years there was no such thing as headphones/earbuds either so I just listened to my breathing and feet.

Never felt euphoric on a bike but definitely have gotten into rhythms where my legs felt like pistons which were firing away with seemingly endless energy. My non-euphoric highs come from bombing down a hill on my road or mtn bike and downhill skiing (especially skiing). Mix speed, technique with a bit of risk, keeps my adrenal glands functioning. So no euphoria, just excitement. YMMV

Old 06-14-21, 01:17 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by rsbob
In 15 years of running, only experienced the high twice but would only 4 to 6 miles at a time. Most of the time it felt like stoic necessary drudgery ‘to get in a workout”. For many of those years there was no such thing as headphones/earbuds either so I just listened to my breathing and feet.

Never felt euphoric on a bike but definitely have gotten into rhythms where my legs felt like pistons which were firing away with seemingly endless energy. My non-euphoric highs come from bombing down a hill on my road or mtn bike and downhill skiing (especially skiing). Mix speed, technique with a bit of risk, keeps my adrenal glands functioning. So no euphoria, just excitement. YMMV

So you have gotten it. But I'm surprised only twice. Yea, I got it after about 5 miles. But when I ran, it gave me a better feeling than cycling. Cycling is more fun though, but running made me feel more like I got a full mind and body workout.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.