Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New to gravel bikes and have tires questions

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-21, 05:01 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have a Norco Search gravel bike with a 45.5 frame. I've been riding it around northern Minnesota and Wisconsin and am happy with the bike and the fit. I ride about 50% gravel/forest roads and 50% somewhat ratty pavement. The tires are Maxis Ramblers 27.5 x 1.5. They seem so so. The rims are NOX Skyline 275 carbon rims. I do not know the width of the rim, it isn't marked. In the winter I live in Tucson. I am thinking of getting some road tires for this bike to ride the loop that encircles the city. My road bike in Tucson has 650c wheels with 23mm Continental 4000s tires. I get occasional flats. Tire recommendations? I think it would be nice to ride a bike with fatter tires. Price not relevant unless it is not commensurate with quality. Are Rene Herse tires too prone to flats? Tubes? Tubeless?
Old 08-23-21, 06:59 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,777 Posts
Are your rims tubeless compatible?

Old 08-23-21, 07:31 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Rene Herse tires come in multiple levels of thicknesses. The extra light ones are the smoothest and fastest, the thicker ones are more puncture resistant. Choose what you want.

Tubeless flats less frequently than tubed.
Old 08-23-21, 07:46 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
I have a Norco Search gravel bike with a 45.5 frame. I've been riding it around northern Minnesota and Wisconsin and am happy with the bike and the fit. I ride about 50% gravel/forest roads and 50% somewhat ratty pavement. The tires are Maxis Ramblers 27.5 x 1.5. They seem so so. The rims are NOX Skyline 275 carbon rims. I do not know the width of the rim, it isn't marked. In the winter I live in Tucson. I am thinking of getting some road tires for this bike to ride the loop that encircles the city. My road bike in Tucson has 650c wheels with 23mm Continental 4000s tires. I get occasional flats. Tire recommendations? I think it would be nice to ride a bike with fatter tires. Price not relevant unless it is not commensurate with quality. Are Rene Herse tires too prone to flats? Tubes? Tubeless?
According to the NOX web site, those rims are 23mm internal width and 29mm external and are tubeless ready. You should be easily able to run 32s on these rims if you want a pure road tire or 38 or 42-ish Rene Herse if you want to go extra wide (for road tires). I'm running 42mm Rene Herse Snoqualmie Pass tires on my extra set of gravel bike wheels. They are pretty nice on the road and very capable of riding all but the steepest dry fire roads. I don't have too many miles on them yet, so I can't speak to durability. They seem pretty quick and comfy.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 08-23-21, 07:56 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
IF you ride where there is a lot of broken glass, thorns and tire wires in your path then the Rene Herse tires may not be as durable as you desire. If you do not ride in a lot of that then a Rene Herse tire in 35 or 38 mm is a fantastic choice. The Challenge Strada Bianca is a great second choice. Tubeless is far more flat resistant...
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 08-24-21, 03:09 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
The filetread ReneHerse are really nice riding tyres; especially in the extralight.

The tanwall extralight are a little more prone to weeping sidewalls than the black.
Standard casing (or Endurance) would be the more sensible choice, as they don't have the 'paper' thin sidewalls.
Or just run tubes in any option.

Their filetreads have around .7mm thicker rubber at the centre than the filetread GravelKings.

You'd have to check your smaller Search frame to see what max 650b it can take.
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 08-24-21, 12:38 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Are your rims tubeless compatible?
Yes.
I see the Rene Herse narrow width tires are not recommended tubeless. I'd have to go wider. Leaning towards the tubed 38s, which are the narrowist Rene Herse in 650b.

Last edited by goldfinch; 08-24-21 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-24-21, 12:49 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Checked out the Challenge Strada Bianca. Unfortunately, not available in 650b. Not a lot of choices out there.
Old 08-24-21, 01:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
There are tons of 650b tires to choose from.
As for running them skinny...why? I get your bike is on the small end of things, but a 650x48 is roughly the same as 700x32 for overall diameter. Running a 42mm or so tire would give you cushion and be relatively light as well as fast.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-24-21, 02:22 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
As for running them skinny...why?
Does the OP have a Norco search, or a Norco search XR?

What is the tire width restrictions on those 2 completely different bikes?
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-24-21, 02:42 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval

The XR. Without fender max size apparently is a 650b x 47 for my small frame.

Last edited by goldfinch; 08-24-21 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-24-21, 02:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval

Not sure why you are asking me which bike the OP has. The OP didnt specify and I dont know the OP.
Truthfully, I thought all models are 'Search XR' regardless of if they are steel, carbon, or aluminum. So I guess its a Search XR in that all of them are that? Maybe thats current models only though- again, I dont know since I am not the OP.

A minute of searching shows the OP's bike is a 2018 Norco Search XRS Rival. Max tire size is 650b x 47. To be clear, that is also the max tire size for all current Search XR bikes in steel, carbon, and aluminum.
https://www.norco.com/bike-archives/...rch-xrs-rival/
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-24-21, 07:09 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Not sure why you are asking me which bike the OP has. The OP didnt specify and I dont know the OP.
Truthfully, I thought all models are 'Search XR' regardless of if they are steel, carbon, or aluminum. So I guess its a Search XR in that all of them are that? Maybe thats current models only though- again, I dont know since I am not the OP.

A minute of searching shows the OP's bike is a 2018 Norco Search XRS Rival. Max tire size is 650b x 47. To be clear, that is also the max tire size for all current Search XR bikes in steel, carbon, and aluminum.
https://www.norco.com/bike-archives/...rch-xrs-rival/
Good detective work! I am now leaning towards the Rene Herse 42s and running them tubeless. Usedhe flat to tubeless on my mountain bike so that might help with the flat issue.
Old 08-24-21, 07:21 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
big fat slicks might be fun
Old 08-25-21, 10:40 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
The tires are Maxis Ramblers 27.5 x 1.5. They seem so so. The rims are NOX Skyline 275 carbon rims. I do not know the width of the rim, it isn't marked. In the winter I live in Tucson. I am thinking of getting some road tires for this bike to ride the loop that encircles the city. My road bike in Tucson has 650c wheels with 23mm Continental 4000s tires.
Well, the rambles are going to be as fast as anything anyone suggested here. Hard to do better than that. Heck, some of my conti slicks aren't any faster than that.
The Conti 4000s are crazy fast - insanely fast tubless 32mm in the 5000 version (although a nightmare to mount often). Don't know if you can find any pure race tires in 32mm for 650b.

I've ridden 23-25mm for years (decades). Occasionally get punctures. But the 32mm tubeless variety are pretty much mount and forget for me (not that they last that long). That, and at 50psi, they are a LOT faster than the 23mm tires at 100+ on the junk asphalt we have around here.
Likes For chas58:
Old 08-25-21, 12:45 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Well, the rambles are going to be as fast as anything anyone suggested here. Hard to do better than that. Heck, some of my conti slicks aren't any faster than that.
The Conti 4000s are crazy fast - insanely fast tubless 32mm in the 5000 version (although a nightmare to mount often). Don't know if you can find any pure race tires in 32mm for 650b.
Contis don't come in 32s for 650b, widest is 28 and that is likely too narrow for my rims.

You think the ramblers are fast on pavement? They don't feel fast on pavement to me, but I know feelings don't mean much. The tires would exclusively be used on pavement, of varying quality.
Old 08-25-21, 02:17 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
The RH 42mm is somewhat faster in my view than their 48mm.

You can still get the coloured Gran Bois Hetre for tubes which I think come in a 38mm.
And a smaller 36mm? 'Col de ???' something? tubed tyre model also.

Never tried the GB, but have read they ride stiffer than RH.
Old 08-25-21, 02:54 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Contis don't come in 32s for 650b, widest is 28 and that is likely too narrow for my rims.

You think the ramblers are fast on pavement? They don't feel fast on pavement to me, but I know feelings don't mean much. The tires would exclusively be used on pavement, of varying quality.
I've done rodie rides on them - at speed the rides are 25mph steady, 30+ sprints. They are about the same as a Conti 4 season.
.The GP5000 - now those are noticeably faster. At 30mph we are talking 24 watts vs 60 watts - so that is noticeable (given that I'm averaging about 200 watts, but doing a fair amount of that over 300 watts).