Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What will a new bike do for me?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What will a new bike do for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 01:04 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorg67
Help me out here. I am working on rationalizing a splurge.....
You've already succeeded.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 02-16-21, 01:59 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Most (all?) of the time we spend money to make ourselves happy., Be happy.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 02-16-21, 02:52 PM
BakinaRakija

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I just like to bring old neglected things back to life, and I consider these bikes more pleasant than new-new bikes.
Likes For BakinaRakija:
Old 02-16-21, 03:05 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Sometimes new bikes can bring a pleasant experience. I like to build one every couple of years or so, to complement the neglected older reborn ones...

This year's bike will be a track bike modified for road use. I expect it to be quite fabulous, but only the riding will tell.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 02-21-21, 06:58 PM
UncleG

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 950 Single-Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
A new bicycle might motivate some to spruce up their garages and organize the tools.
Old 02-21-21, 07:34 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
A bike with a riding position more suited to extended efforts at higher output will be more comfortable over that distance at that effort...
So, what is actually known and measured as far as the relationship between riding position and maximum output power? Obviously if speed is the priority, you need to balance maximum output with aerodynamic drag. But, in terms of simply optimal position for maximum power output, how do various positions compare?

Otto
Old 02-23-21, 12:38 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I am shopping for a new bike. Currently leaning toward an endurance bike like Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane and Cannondale Synapse.

I am riding a hybrid. It is comfortable on 40 mile rides. I am gradually increasing my distances.

Went on my first ride with a slow D group. No problem keeping up with those guys. Ride leader said he thought I would have no problem with the C group. But I would struggle in the B group.

I do not think a new bike would make the difference between being a C group rider and a B group rider. But I suspect it would help a bit.

Maybe a nicer, better fitting bike would be more comfortable.

And I think I would enjoy riding a higher quality bike, crisper shifting, smoother ride and I admit cooler. Maybe only cooler in my head, but that is really the only place it matters.

And I want a new toy.

you will find yourself to be taller, more handsome and attractive to people who will all attempt to be your buddy.
​​​​woman will swoon and you will get huge raise.
some say hair becomes long. lush. thicker and bank account can never go below $50k.
​​​​​some say.
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 02-23-21, 12:46 PM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
you will find yourself to be taller, more handsome and attractive to people who will all attempt to be your buddy.
​​​​woman will swoon and you will get huge raise.
some say hair becomes long. lush. thicker and bank account can never go below $50k.
​​​​​some say.
Nice!!

I will say that when I am out for a ride and say hello to attractive young ladies, I generally get a better response than in other settings. I guess with a helmet and sunglasses, they cannot tell I am a bald headed geezer.

I think the ship has sailed on the long lush hair though.
Old 02-23-21, 01:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,072 Times in 3,815 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleG
A new bicycle might motivate some to spruce up their garages and organize the tools.
This is 100% accurate (for me).
Old 02-23-21, 01:03 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
I am shopping for a new bike. Currently leaning toward an endurance bike like Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane and Cannondale Synapse.

I am riding a hybrid. It is comfortable on 40 mile rides. I am gradually increasing my distances.

Went on my first ride with a slow D group. No problem keeping up with those guys. Ride leader said he thought I would have no problem with the C group. But I would struggle in the B group.

I do not think a new bike would make the difference between being a C group rider and a B group rider. But I suspect it would help a bit.

And I think I would enjoy riding a higher quality bike, crisper shifting, smoother ride and I admit cooler. Maybe only cooler in my head, but that is really the only place it matters.

And I want a new toy.

you need a minimum of 2 bikes. one for wet conditions (with fenders), and one for dry. After that, maybe a trail bike for off road and a fixie for short rides
Old 02-23-21, 01:28 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I've seen really fit folks take their knobbie equipped gravel or cyclocross bikes (with requisite gearing) all the way up to the A ride. Just to sit in at a hard tempo/sweetspot the whole time for something different. One dude even showed up on his hardtail one night and kept up fine. He didn't ever pull, but made it perfectly fine. Just to show there the bike isn't mandatory to be one thing or another in different groups.

I'd say there are two practicalities to going to an endurance road bike over a t-bar hybrid. They're meant to be totally practical and nothing to do with anyone's abilities or anyone's fashion or cache'.

1. As groups get faster, if you ever choose to take a turn up front the wind you're working against on a drop bar is less than a hybrid. Unless you're okay altering how you hold your bars on a hybrid. The roadie is likely lower on the bars and narrower. Less wind to fight.

2. Often in faster groups, to save more energy, people ride a lot closer together front to back and even side to side. I don't think a hybrid set of bars in a tighter B group would annoy anybody at all. It would be fine, but there is the practical nature of hooking bars. The further a set of them sticks out, is worth paying attention to. Nothing mandatory, just something of taking note.

I don't see it mandatory at all what you ride so long as you can keep up, chat, and maybe even contribute. Ride what you wish in the group. Other than that, test ride a few! Have fun! The two things above are just things you might notice. Nothing exclusionary or mandatory.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-23-21, 04:40 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
When you get a new, sleek bike, you'll notice an immediate jump in your rest stop FTP.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 02-23-21, 04:51 PM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
When you get a new, sleek bike, you'll notice an immediate jump in your rest stop FTP.
What is; "rest stop FTP"?
Old 02-23-21, 06:44 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
What is; "rest stop FTP"?
It means when you're stopped, and standing by your sleek new bike at a rest stop, you'll look faster.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 02-23-21, 07:53 PM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
It means when you're stopped, and standing by your sleek new bike at a rest stop, you'll look faster.
Gotcha. Yes, definitely I look much faster.

With my new shirt, I look even faster!
Old 02-23-21, 08:19 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts

And I want a new toy.

Sounds like you're already convinced. May I suggest a new Trek Emonda? It's great so far! It's everything you assume it would be, minus actually being light (SL trim).
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 02-24-21, 01:49 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
as far as frame goes it will give you access to more modern tech , allowing the bike to be stiffer lighter and more efficient giving you more potential for higher performance , parts can be more hit or miss , but on bike shop bikes parts are usually the cheapest quality so they can make the largest profit !

when you do ask a question like this , you have to get more specific and state your budget , and intended uses , brand , and parts desired !
Likes For Toespeas:
Old 02-24-21, 04:07 AM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by Toespeas
when you do ask a question like this , you have to get more specific and state your budget , and intended uses , brand , and parts desired !
This is an old thread that came to life again when I reported my new bike experience. I bought a Specialized Diverge Sport Carbon in October of last year. Many of the comments were helpful in my decision. The biggest thing I learned is that speed and efficiency was not what I was looking for. I was looking for fun. I like varied terrain. The Gravel bike category made the most sense for me. Even though I spend most of my riding on road, the little bit of time I spend on dirt, grass and gravel make this bike worthwhile to me. I also like the resilience to debris in the road which is common in the bike lane. I hope to find some faster guys to ride with. It will be interesting to see how I manage. I feel like I am a bit faster on this bike than my hybrid, but it is really hard to measure. Accelerating from stops, riding into the wind and going up hill seem noticeably faster.

I think I will try some different tires. I have 38 x 700 all terrain tires. I would like to try some 28 x 700 smoother tread and some bigger tires with more aggressive tread and see if I notice much difference. I do not think I will notice much difference with the 28 x 700 in speed. I think I will notice a big difference with more aggressive tread in traction. There is a gravel loop I ride frequently that is a little sketchy on the existing tires. They slide a little around corners. I think I would be able to corner faster with a more aggressive tread. I think I will find that the existing tires are a good choice for the way I ride. They have a smooth strip down the middle which I expect rolls pretty efficiently going straight on road when fully inflated. The little bit of tread on the sides seems enough for other terrain without creating too much additional weight or wind resistance.

I suspect I would have enjoyed an endurance bike like Roubaix or Domane very much as well. Honestly, I think I have enjoyed every bicycle I have ever ridden. They all have their own charm. I road a friend's tri bike the other day. That was a cool bike. Not the right bike for me, but I enjoyed riding it. Perhaps one day, I will add a true road bike to the stable. For now, I am really grooving on the gravel bike.