Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Speedplay slash and burn by Wahoo

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Speedplay slash and burn by Wahoo

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-20, 03:11 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Correct. In fact there WAS a growing aftermarket in bearings and spindles in various lengths and materials.
Yeah, I know - it was primarily people that wanted to skirt around paying Speedplay for the Ti versions of their pedals. What is this, Undercutter's Pizza? "We'll charge you half of what you'd pay Speedplay for the upgrade!" If you think that's kosher, you're naïve.

See you were so close... but you just couldn't help yourself but to inject an asinine straw man. Who, anywhere, said speedplay was in any way relevant to the economy?
It was your contextual insinuation that I was going off of - blame yourself.
Old 11-19-20, 07:15 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
We sell a lot of Speedplay pedals. Had Frogs sitting on the shelf for 2 years before they were sold to someone specifically looking for Frogs, not a new user. The X pedal had to go away as it made no sense in the line up as things have moved on from that design. Kudos to Wahoo for cleaning up the line and streamlining selection. Makes sense to me as a dealer.

Never heard about the bearing story. Must be the use of the Speedplay name in advertising that they went after. Silly for sure, but the corp lawyers have to justify their price, and the executive branch likely had nothing else to determine during a Monday morning pow-wow.
Yes I get you point. I originally went with Speedplay X in 1999 because I was tired of replacing 2 or more pair of Look cleats a year. Over 5 years of this, I had spent the cost in Look cleats that my X2 cost. So I have two pair of X2 on two bikes and cleats on 4 pair of road shoes. That reason alone kept me from going to the Zero system. I do not suffer from knee problems so full or limited or no float means little to me. But to change to either Zero or Time or whatever will be the cost to one or two pair of pedals and 3 or 4 pair of cleats. Ching!
Old 11-19-20, 09:27 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, I know - it was primarily people that wanted to skirt around paying Speedplay for the Ti versions of their pedals. What is this, Undercutter's Pizza? "We'll charge you half of what you'd pay Speedplay for the upgrade!" If you think that's kosher, you're naïve.
I'd try to explain the cost benefit value of OEM vs farking around in the garage to save a dollar, plus the utility curve of OEM manufacturing and pricing, but honestly I have neither the time nor the crayons for you.

But I will give you a datapoint, a possible clue if you will. Maybe you can do something with it, maybe you lack the capacity. Just consider... AMG charges $10k for carbon ceramic brakes that you _could_ buy for $5000 and install in your garage. But the vast majority of people would rather just pay the $10k and not have to screw around in the garage to save a little money (and also incur a little risk). Mercedes knows this, and willingly allows the aftermarket to "undercut" them on carbon ceramic brakes. But yeah, I'm sure 2 speedplay autismos making bike pedals have figured out a secret to OEM, aftermarket, pricing, and customer affinity that Mercedes just can't grasp.

And I am now done with you and won't respond again.
Old 11-19-20, 09:41 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I'd try to explain the cost benefit value of OEM vs farking around in the garage to save a dollar, plus the utility curve of OEM manufacturing and pricing, but honestly I have neither the time nor the crayons for you.

But I will give you a datapoint, a possible clue if you will. Maybe you can do something with it, maybe you lack the capacity. Just consider... AMG charges $10k for carbon ceramic brakes that you _could_ buy for $5000 and install in your garage. But the vast majority of people would rather just pay the $10k and not have to screw around in the garage to save a little money (and also incur a little risk). Mercedes knows this, and willingly allows the aftermarket to "undercut" them on carbon ceramic brakes. But yeah, I'm sure 2 speedplay autismos making bike pedals have figured out a secret to OEM, aftermarket, pricing, and customer affinity that Mercedes just can't grasp.

And I am now done with you and won't respond again.
Dude's comparing a high-cost minor component of a complex product in a ginormous industry to a low-cost integral component of a mechanically simple product in a niche industry, yet he's insulting the intelligence of others.
Old 11-20-20, 09:38 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Old 11-21-20, 10:54 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Got it - so there'd be a robust market for completely honest, non-infringing, third-party Speedplay parts if not for the threat of/litigation keeping said parts out of the hands of the yearning masses. It's rather too bad - I bet that would have buoyed the economy through our current situation.
Speedplay were dicks about this, to be honest. There was a company making after-market Ti spindles for them that they went after. They also went after another company for putting instructions on how to change out the spindles on their website. I use Speedplay pedals and love the product - but they took being dicks to a level that would make Mike Sinyard step back and go whoa.
Old 11-21-20, 11:49 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Speedplay were dicks about this, to be honest. There was a company making after-market Ti spindles for them that they went after. They also went after another company for putting instructions on how to change out the spindles on their website. I use Speedplay pedals and love the product - but they took being dicks to a level that would make Mike Sinyard step back and go whoa.
That was then, this is now and it's Wahoo not Speedplay. They could fix this in a heartbeat if they wanted to. But so far, they're not and that's disappointing.