Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.3

Old 07-22-21, 08:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,468 Times in 5,875 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The black-billed magpies we encountered riding out west were often really aggressive. (Not my photo.)

Magpies are just crows in wifebeaters.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-22-21, 08:52 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9439 Post(s)
Liked 6,236 Times in 3,436 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I associate both poison oak and The Doors with early sexual milestones.
That's one way to scratch the itch.
Old 07-22-21, 08:59 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12574 Post(s)
Liked 7,464 Times in 3,952 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Coincidentally I just saw that my local indie movie theater will be showing Val, which is apparently a self-made documentary over the last 40 years of Val Kilmer. I can't decide if this is brilliant or astoundingly self-indulgent or both.

I remember that period in the 90s when he was an A-lister and then... he just wasn't. Also The Doors seemed really powerful and meaningful when I was a teenager and then I got older and realized it was just silly af. Kind of like The Doors themselves.
Salton Sea was pretty good. Seems like he was in a bad horror movie after that...
Old 07-22-21, 09:08 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Uh oh. On the morning spin, I noticed a quarter-sized spot, in the hip area of my bibs, that had gone sheer. I guess it's gettin' time to retire those'ns to trainer and under tights duty.
Old 07-22-21, 09:10 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10069 Post(s)
Liked 5,753 Times in 3,092 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Uh oh. On the morning spin, I noticed a quarter-sized spot, in the hip area of my bibs, that had gone sheer. I guess it's gettin' time to retire those'ns to trainer and under tights duty.
The urgency is inversely proportional to distance from your crack.

Don't nobody want to see no crack.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-22-21 at 09:15 AM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-22-21, 09:15 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
The urgency is inversely proportional to distance from your crack.
Yeah, the current spot isn't really problematic, but the way that it sprang in to being, without any warning, is concerning. I don't want to find out, after a ride, that a crack-straddler decided to join in the fun.
Old 07-22-21, 09:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Also The Doors seemed really powerful and meaningful when I was a teenager and then I got older and realized it was just silly af. Kind of like The Doors themselves.
I think a lot of people feel the same. But I will admit that I am jealous of Morrison getting to hook up with Nico. I have a strange obsession with her.

BTW...During a bike tour in Montana I passed by the offices of a law firm called Morrison & Frampton. I like to think they met in law school and were sitting around the dorm one night smoking a doobie and thinking "We HAVE to start our own firm one day."

Their Whitefish office was located in the last building ever designed by Frank Lloyd Right. It appears they are now out of business because their website leads to some Chinese lottery site or something.
Old 07-22-21, 10:20 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13588 Post(s)
Liked 4,417 Times in 2,445 Posts
NBD: Otso Waheela C. Unfortunately I'm probably going to get kicked off of Instagram because I didn't take any pictures of it brand new and shiny before I got gravel dust all over it. LBS called me at about 4:30 to tell me it was ready; I raced across town and got it set up in time to catch my friends' ride at 6.

2 rides in and I'm a fan. Very compliant and just soaks up the road. Planted and stable on the loose gravel descents. The second picture the tuning chip--Otso's adjustable dropout system, you can move it forward for more technical riding. I doubt I ever do that but I guess it's nice to have. I decided to try the Pirelli Centurato Gravel H tires, 45mm, because I wanted something wider and what limited user feedback I could find on them said they were fast. So far so good but who knows how much of that is new bike watts?

Went with GRX 600 because I was worried about supply issues. Seems pretty solid so far and that clutched derailleur is doing its job with mitigating the chain slap. Went with a 2x crank because I didn't want to sacrifice the range on either end and Ekar was not in the budget. Also installed my Redshift Shockstop stem that I've had for a couple years. Rounded out with King titanium cages and the Outvi Possm tool roll that I've been using forever. The WTB saddle that the bike shipped with seems to agree with me so far. Using some Issi pedals because they're red :-)
Gravel bikes aren't suppose to be clean and shiny.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 07-22-21, 10:28 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4769 Post(s)
Liked 7,739 Times in 3,658 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
What the hell is up with the first base bag???
The orange part outside the foul line is called the "safety base". The idea is to give the runner and fielder more space from each other, and reduce injuries due to collision. This is common for softball. Interestingly, it's not a part of of all softball rule sets. For example, HS and college softball doesn't use the "safety base", but most youth-level rule sets do. There are a few other little details that vary depending on which organization's rules you're playing under. It's kind of irritating, and definitely causes some confusion on the field.
Old 07-22-21, 11:36 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10872 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
"The west is the best."
Thanks, Jim.

Old 07-22-21, 11:41 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I like the Doors and have a Doors channel on Pandora.

There, I've said it.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 07-22-21, 11:49 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,178 Posts
There is just something dark and brooding about the doors music that I really don't have enough room for. I'm sure it's not all like that but it lays on my brain like a wet wool blanket.
Old 07-22-21, 11:57 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
There is just something dark and brooding about the doors music that I really don't have enough room for. I'm sure it's not all like that but it lays on my brain like a wet wool blanket.
"The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on.
He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall."
Old 07-22-21, 12:02 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22473 Post(s)
Liked 8,794 Times in 4,092 Posts
We are still coming to LA in 3 weeks, but the case count is rising at an alarming pace.
Old 07-22-21, 12:09 PM
Mojo31
-------

Kind of a cool story:

I have a turntable in my office with a metal platter and felt pad, but at home have one with an acrylic platter. Wanted to try an acrylic platter at the office, so I bought an aftermarket one from an Amazon seller that was supposed to be a direct replacement for the metal platter. When it arrived, I found that it was exactly like the one at home (both tables are the same brand). It was really well made, but changed the sound of the table in a not very pleasant way. Sent it back through Amazon, and then got an email from the seller asking why I was returning it, stating that he wants to make the best product he can and the information might help him. We had a number of very pleasant exchanges (he never tried to fight my return), and towards the end he told me he wants to send me another platter for free in case I want to try to raise my tonearm using a part that Pro-Ject sells as thanks for providing him feedback. I told him no need to do that, but if I wanted to try again I would just buy another, and that if he really wanted to do something he could make a small donation to our local education foundation. Then received an email that he made a nice donation!

I thought that was pretty cool.

The seller is "Supreme Tech" on Amazon.

Last edited by Mojo31; 07-22-21 at 12:13 PM.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 07-22-21, 12:12 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by datlas
We are still coming to LA in 3 weeks, but the case count is rising at an alarming pace.
But, you are magnetized and have a chip so you are good.

We are heading to STL tomorrow to see my parents as Saturday is my mom's 85 birthday, and we have not seen them in almost 2 years. She decided to throw a family party for herself, with all the extended family coming. She's only doing that because we will be there. The catch is that at least half of those attending will be of the unvaxed variety.

Thinking one of these might be in order -

Old 07-22-21, 12:12 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22473 Post(s)
Liked 8,794 Times in 4,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Kind of a cool story:

Story of the day:

I have a turntable in my office with a metal platter and felt pad, but at home have one with an acrylic platter. Wanted to try an acrylic platter at the office, so I bought an aftermarket one from an Amazon seller that was supposed to be a direct replacement for the metal platter. When it arrived, I found that it was exactly like the one at home (both tables are the same brand). It was really well made, but changed the sound of the table in a not very pleasant way. Sent it back through Amazon, and then got an email from the seller asking why I was returning it, stating that he wants to make the best product he can and the information might help him. We had a number of very pleasant exchanges (he never tried to fight my return), and towards the end he told me he wants to send me another platter for free in case I want to try to raise my tonearm using a part that Pro-Ject sells as thanks for providing him feedback. I told him no need to do that, but if I wanted to try again I would just buy another, and that if he really wanted to do something he could make a small donation to our local education foundation. Then received an email that he made a nice donation!

I thought that was pretty cool.

The seller is "Supreme Tech" on Amazon.
Good story.

Audiophile schwag makes cycling look cheap by comparison. Of course it does not wear out, usually and can last a lifetime.
Old 07-22-21, 12:16 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I’ve had a wheel set in Customs jail since 7/19. A much cheaper parcel from the same seller and arrived in Customs the same day, cleared in no time at all.

Old 07-22-21, 12:19 PM
Mojo31
-------

Good story.

Audiophile schwag makes cycling look cheap by comparison. Of course it does not wear out, usually and can last a lifetime.
The platter I bought was only $65 so not crazy. I'm on the low end of "audiophile."

Some of that stuff makes everything else in the world look like a bargain. I just don't understand a lot of it. Like this 6' power cable for $7,500: Shunyata - Omega QR-s Power Cable (15A, 2.0m) (musicdirect.com)
Old 07-22-21, 12:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,468 Times in 5,875 Posts
Good story.

This is why I stopped reading audiophile magazines in 1988 after I got my system together. That way, madness lies.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-22-21, 12:39 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I’ve had a wheel set in Customs jail since 7/19.
Anything fun?
Old 07-22-21, 12:48 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Anything fun?
Campagnolo Bora WTO 33 Carbon clincher disc brake set, tubeless, of course.

The Campy wheels (Fulcrum) that came with my Colnago are fine but a little heavy. They’ll make excellent winter/back up wheels and they are tubeless also though they currently have clincher tubed tires mounted.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 07-22-21 at 12:52 PM.
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 07-22-21, 12:52 PM
WhyFi

Sounds pretty fun to me!

Is it possible that you missed a notice on duty owed or anything?

edit: oh, since 7/19 isn't that bad...
Old 07-22-21, 01:10 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts

The Campy wheels (Fulcrum) that came with my Colnago are fine but a little heavy. They’ll make excellent winter/back up wheels and they are tubeless also though they currently have clincher tubed tires mounted.
those are sick wheels. 3 days is not too bad & I hope that they don't charge you fees. Where did you get them from, just asking for a friend?
Old 07-22-21, 01:15 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by sshakari
those are sick wheels. 3 days is not too bad & I hope that they don't charge you fees. Where did you get them from, just asking for a friend?
i ordered through PBK. I get mail copied to three devices and none have a “notice” email. I had that happen several years ago on a bike and got a notice that the duties hadn’t been paid. No email this time, at least not yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.