Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

I don't get gravel bikes?

Old 08-22-21, 03:41 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Didn't really ride the hybrid much due to having a gravel bike, so I gave my built hybrid to my nephew.

People really need to start thinking for themselves. I'm not going to sell anyone/everyone on gravel. I am very thankful some people saw a market for gravel bikes and started producing them. For my bicycling lifestyle gravel bikes are the greatest.
The neighbour across the street wised me up to one route in our corner of the world and told me what a killer it is. OK there I went - I'm a "few" years older than him - on my hardtail 27.5 DeVinci.
Yes, I was quite happy to have those extra gears on the 15% climb on broken up pavement and the extra grip on the tires on the gravelly downhill that wasn't quite as steep as the climb, but very curvy.
Old 08-22-21, 05:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked 5,379 Times in 2,731 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I don’t get unicycles, rollerblades, the Renaissance Fair, or smoked meat.

I don’t waste my time getting on their forums telling them my opinions about it.
This. With the obvious exception of smoked meat....
Old 08-22-21, 05:48 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
I guess I'm missing something with smoked meat. Just never had the occasion to eat any
Old 08-22-21, 05:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked 5,379 Times in 2,731 Posts
I'm thinking BarBQue, smoked turkey at Thanksgiving, brisket.... Maybe it doesn't mean what I think.
Old 08-22-21, 06:48 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm thinking BarBQue, smoked turkey at Thanksgiving, brisket.... Maybe it doesn't mean what I think.
Its tasty enough. I’m thinking about the people who spend their whole weekend home smoking something. Seems like an insane use of time if you don’t own a restaurant. That’s not really my problem though.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 08-22-21, 09:34 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I guess I'm missing something with smoked meat. Just never had the occasion to eat any
Because you never had a turkey leg at the Renaissance Fair. After riding your unicycle there.

*shrugs*
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-22-21, 10:14 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Its tasty enough. I’m thinking about the people who spend their whole weekend home smoking something. Seems like an insane use of time if you don’t own a restaurant. That’s not really my problem though.
leave the cooking to the professionals, and the bike riding to the amateurs!
Old 08-22-21, 10:24 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Also, just in case you haven’t noticed, the US bike market has been reeling from fad to fad for about 55 years now, ever since muscle bikes. Before that, only delivery boys and a few weirdo grownups had bikes at all. This fad is not less valid by being newer.

The defining characteristics of a gravel bike make it a good bike generally. They are,

Wide clearance for wide tires, ostensibly for mud clearance but also useful for even wider tires and fenders on the road
Protected full run cable housings (or hoses)
Lower, wider, and more useful gearing, at or below unity at the bottom and no 53-11 baloney macho gear
fairly relaxed body position and steering geometry
Disc brakes, thank god finally

It’s happened in the past that a combination like this has looked pretty good to people who are used to bikes that were worse. 10 speeds looked pretty good to people who had beach cruisers and 3-speeds. They were fast and efficient and had lots of gears. But really the gears were too high and everyone rode around on the tops. First generation mountain bikes looked pretty good to people who had 10 speeds. They were easy to sit on and have even more gears. But when you put slicks on them the gears are too low and they are kind of pigs. So then we got hybrids, freeing up MTB’s to continue evolving suspension for we who wanted it. Gravel bikes are another step in that category. They have broad appeal beyond their base.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-22-21 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-22-21, 10:51 AM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It has been nine years since the Warbird was launched.
Yeah, well, it's been 110 since the Alcyon.

Garrigou on his Alcyon on the Col d'Aubisque, 1911 Tour de France. Photo from bikeraceinfo.com, probably originally from L'Equipe

There's your next big fad -- gravel fixie races with 300km stages! (Can't see hipsters at it though, they'd keel over dead)

So it has been prophesied -- Ecclesiastes 1:9
Old 08-22-21, 01:26 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by sincos
Garrigou on his Alcyon on the Col d'Aubisque, 1911 Tour de France. Photo from bikeraceinfo.com, probably originally from L'Equipe

There's your next big fad -- gravel fixie races with 300km stages! (Can't see hipsters at it though, they'd keel over dead)
Well this was a fun diversion. Speaking of keel over dead. This guy had to ride one stage in disguise having been framed for poisoning his closest rival in the race. Hipsters do tend to prefer hops and joints over cocaine, strychnine, and amphetamines like real old school riders.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-22-21, 02:00 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by sincos

There's your next big fad -- gravel fixie races with 300km stages!
I don't race but I've done hundreds and hundreds of recreational gravel rides on my fixed gear bikes. It's not a fad, it's how some of us choose to ride.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-22-21, 03:53 PM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't race but I've done hundreds and hundreds of recreational gravel rides on my fixed gear bikes. It's not a fad, it's how some of us choose to ride.
Indeed. The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no thing new under the sun.

(What you say doesn't mean it won't be the next big fad. It just means you're ahead of the curve!)
Old 08-22-21, 09:02 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Also, just in case you haven’t noticed, the US bike market has been reeling from fad to fad for about 55 years now, ever since muscle bikes.
My gravel bike identifies as a 10 speed with more gears that is capable of all being ridden on all roads. Please don't call it a fad.
Old 08-23-21, 01:05 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Also, just in case you haven’t noticed, the US bike market has been reeling from fad to fad for about 55 years now, ever since muscle bikes. Before that, only delivery boys and a few weirdo grownups had bikes at all. This fad is not less valid by being newer.

The defining characteristics of a gravel bike make it a good bike generally. They are,

Wide clearance for wide tires, ostensibly for mud clearance but also useful for even wider tires and fenders on the road
Protected full run cable housings (or hoses)
Lower, wider, and more useful gearing, at or below unity at the bottom and no 53-11 baloney macho gear
fairly relaxed body position and steering geometry
Disc brakes, thank god finally

It’s happened in the past that a combination like this has looked pretty good to people who are used to bikes that were worse. 10 speeds looked pretty good to people who had beach cruisers and 3-speeds. They were fast and efficient and had lots of gears. But really the gears were too high and everyone rode around on the tops. First generation mountain bikes looked pretty good to people who had 10 speeds. They were easy to sit on and have even more gears. But when you put slicks on them the gears are too low and they are kind of pigs. So then we got hybrids, freeing up MTB’s to continue evolving suspension for we who wanted it. Gravel bikes are another step in that category. They have broad appeal beyond their base.
It seems like you’re saying a gravel bike is basically just a good all around bike.
I want one, but this is coming from someone who’s never ridden a drop bar bike more than 50’ and I probably had a similar thread as the OP last quarter.

But described as you did, it sounds like a great idea.
Old 08-23-21, 08:31 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Gravel riding has evolved into an elitist snob activity which requires taking out a mortgage to finance purchasing all types of special "gravel specific equipment, clothing and items "...It's not about the challenge and enjoyment., it's become a fashion show for the newest " gravel specific trends " .
You just nailed absolutely every single biking category and subcategory. Nothing unique about gravel biking here.
Old 08-23-21, 10:59 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

@SkinGriz they are a varietal of road bike so they got drop bars. I've never really gotten along with drop bars either and converted mine to flat bar, which throws off the fit a bit. There are a few examples flat bar gravel bikes per se. There are an awful lot of hybrids that are nearly there, though the nicer ones tend a little more to the road side with smaller tires and there's kind of a ceiling on how nice they get
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-23-21, 12:00 PM
Merrimac

Bikes: Road, carbon, 32mm tires

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 11 Posts
Interesting comments. I did not know that gravel bikes had become a trendy, snob thing.

For me, my gravel bike is just a more versatile road bike.

The 38mm tubeless don’t need changing as often as my skinny tube tires, and are safer on winter-ravaged, New England asphalt, and for a lot of off-road situations—mostly single-track dirt in my area. The disc brakes are safer. There’s clearance for mudguards. And, like others said, the multiple hand positions on drop bars are helpful, especially for us septuagenarians with arthritis. Both my road and gravel bikes have aluminum frames, but the gravel 1x11 weighs 5 pounds more than the 19-lb roadie. That’s the only downside for me. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it to spend double for carbon. So far, nope.
Old 08-23-21, 12:41 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Soo gravel bike = road bike frame that fits bigger wheels to ride off road and hybrid = mtb with road tires?
Old 08-23-21, 12:53 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
@SkinGriz they are a varietal of road bike so they got drop bars. I've never really gotten along with drop bars either and converted mine to flat bar, which throws off the fit a bit. There are a few examples flat bar gravel bikes per se. There are an awful lot of hybrids that are nearly there, though the nicer ones tend a little more to the road side with smaller tires and there's kind of a ceiling on how nice they get
Thanks. I’m not anti- drop bar, just have zero experience with them.

It is a little weird to me that I rarely see anyone in the drops, but if I had more experience I might understand why.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-23-21, 12:53 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Merrimac
Interesting comments. I did not know that gravel bikes had become a trendy, snob thing.
Don't put too much stock in those who pride themselves on being above it all by calling things a “fad” or a “trend.” It’s their own brand of the snobbery they pretend to decry.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-23-21, 01:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Merrimac
It hasnt. One, maybe two posters have claimed that.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-23-21, 01:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Soo gravel bike = road bike frame that fits bigger wheels to ride off road and hybrid = mtb with road tires?
No.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-23-21, 03:37 PM
Merrimac

Bikes: Road, carbon, 32mm tires

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
The boundaries are blurry, which suits me. Now there are “endurance bikes” too!
Likes For Merrimac:
Old 08-23-21, 03:48 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
I think endurance bikes came first, but they were fairly contemporaneous with gravel bikes. And endurance bikes have come to look a lot more like gravel bikes.

I think the people that say gravel bikes are a fad just don't recognize the source of their popularity. People want these bikes, they see all sorts of uses for them other than gravel. What they don't want is a tight clearance racing bike that would fit in just fine at the Tour de France*. It used to be that if you wanted a higher performance bike, that's what you had to get.

*if you want this, it's available so don't fret.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-23-21, 04:17 PM
ssmiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think they are just hybrids with drop bars.
Likes For ssmiker:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.