Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Switching bikes before a big ride? Bad Idea?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-31-21, 03:31 PM
JB_Nicholson

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Elite E5 - 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would love some thoughts on this. I have my first century ride coming up in 3 weeks.

I've been riding a Specialized Diverge (aluminum) for 9 mo now, and just upgraded to a Specialized Roubaix (Carbon). I'll probably be able to get two `60 mile rides and a handful of shorter rides in before the big day - and have a new bike tune-up scheduled for it the week before the race. I've moved my saddle and tires over, had the new bike sized, and the frames are the same size as well.

Is that enough to feel comfortable on the new bike? I'm really hoping to take advantage of my newer lighter bike in time for the ride but want to make sure it's not nuts to take on a century after just 2 weeks of riding the new one.

Thanks all!
Old 08-31-21, 03:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
If setup identical (saddle height, reach to bars, saddle/bar drop etc.) I think it’s ok to use new bike. If not, use older tried/true steed.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-31-21, 03:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Three weeks is plenty of time go get used to a bike. How confident are you that your position is the same on both bikes? That trips a lot of people up, even those of us that should know better.
Old 08-31-21, 03:49 PM
JB_Nicholson

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Elite E5 - 2021

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only really test ridden the Roubaix but the two feel really similar. Both are designed for endurance and both seem to have me in roughly the same posture. Maybe a little more upright in my old bike but nothing too drastic!
Old 08-31-21, 04:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
If the new bike feels as good or better, then take it. Especially if it's a few pounds lighter. Leaving five extra pounds at home will save you some energy over the course of 100 miles. Especially if you have some hills to go up.
Old 08-31-21, 05:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
You say you'll be able to do 2 x 60 mile rides before the Century? That should be good enough, but listen closely to your body during and after those rides. After can be subtle! I have one bike that has 2cm more bar drop than all the others, and I took it on a 65 mile ride, having had no problems with 25 and 50 mile rides on it. I felt no pain during the longer ride, but I did experience some lower back pain - more of an ache, really - over the next week. So I think I'll save that bike for shorter rides.

Regarding position matching, what I do is to measure the model bike with it on a level floor, with the back wheel pushed up against a wall. Then I do a series of measurements from both the door and the wall to various points, including the BB center, and then I can figure out just about any measurement with a little subtraction.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-31-21, 05:56 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
I switch between 2 road bikes sometimes. Different saddles and bars and slightly different position. If the old bike sits for weeks or even months a couple shorter rides on it and I adapt pretty well. Seems like you have time to get it sorted. I wouldn't take the new bike on a long ride first time out, but you should be fine.
Old 08-31-21, 07:14 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
The two 60-ers mean it should be fine, but make sure you're not even close to a tight back or sore knees at the end.
Old 08-31-21, 07:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
I've done similar. Went from a 700x32 hybrid front suspension flat bar to a 700x28 road carbon. Did a few long rides a handful of days prior to the 70 miler. Made some adjustments along the way.

The brakes were the biggest of changes to grasp. One was mech other hydr. disc. With good tires & paying attention, I lived to type this response.
Old 08-31-21, 07:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Only thing I would change is that tune-up. I never mess with my bike between my last long ride and the event. I don't even change the tires, though I do pump them up. I've seen bike shops screw a bike up. Best to stay with what worked last time IME. Have a great ride.
Old 08-31-21, 08:19 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Ive done my biggest climbing days on a rented bike, sight unseen. If you’ve had 2 60 mile test rides on your new ride, you’ll know if there’s anything wrong with it.