Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know the pull ratio of Microshift STI shifters?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-21, 07:50 AM
cherokeeronin

Bikes: SGM Charles Jerry 26er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Planning to make a budget drivetrain.

Finally found a source where LTWOO A7 RD (10speed) happens to be 2:1 with its pull ratio. Stating that its Shimano compatible.

Im thinking now if I am gonna go with this option, if I would use a Micronew 10speed STI shifters, or would rather go with Microshift Barend shifters, which are for sure, as theu have stated that it is Shimano compatible.

Which brings me to the LTWOO A7 RD, if it is compatible with the shifters mentioned above.
Old 09-02-21, 08:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Microshift has 3 different 10sp drop bar shifter ratios.

- Advent X matches their own Advent X shifting group and the ratio is not compatible with anything else.
- Centos 10 matches Shimano Tiagra 4700 shifting ratio.
- R10 matches old shifting ratios for when Shimano cables were exposed.

No idea which of the above LTWOO A7 matches, thought Im confident it isnt Advent X.
Why use an LTWOO RD?...I understand new components are tough to come by right now in certain instances, but I would think a gently used Shimano RD would be preferable over a new LTWOO. <--that isnt based on my use experience, only on the many videos and online reviews of LTWOO products over the last handful of years.
Old 09-03-21, 05:54 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I bought some sensah 9spd shifters are they compatible with Shimano 6-10 sod RD. The exception is tiagra 4700 which is the same (geometry) as any other Shimano 11 sp RD.
I was researching LTwoo as well and they are (stupidly) very unclear on their compatibility - at times sellers saying Shimano 10spd and other times 11 sped (and sometimes both!) and sometimes SRAM. They could easily clear this up if they had an official web site but they don’t.
Old 09-04-21, 08:44 PM
cherokeeronin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
I bought some sensah 9spd shifters are they compatible with Shimano 6-10 sod RD. The exception is tiagra 4700 which is the same (geometry) as any other Shimano 11 sp RD.
I was researching LTwoo as well and they are (stupidly) very unclear on their compatibility - at times sellers saying Shimano 10spd and other times 11 sped (and sometimes both!) and sometimes SRAM. They could easily clear this up if they had an official web site but they don’t.
Greetings friend,

I am now also looking into Shensah shifters as they are also cheaper and are Internal cable routing.

I am thinking of going with 9 or 10 speed shifters to have more gear ratios. But I am not sure which RD to use. But for the most part, the gear range I would like to have in my cassette would be ideally an 11-42T.

If lets say going 9 speed, would a Claris medium cage work with an 11-40T cassette? I'm not sure how much maximum teeth the RD can handle. And if its okay to use the Claris RD for 9speed shifters.

If I am to go with 10 speed, would the Alivio RD (which is an MTB RD) fit with the shifters? I am also not sure if I can mix match road and mtb RD. They say 7-9speeds can work but 10 speeds above cannot. Im thinking of going with the Alivio RD since it is stated to accomodate to a maximum of 45T. This is where I would say 11-42T would come in.

Any thoughts or suggestion about this one?

Well my source has it confirmed, but the blog is written in Filipino not English. Would you like me to give you the link?
Old 09-05-21, 05:10 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I'm not sure about Sensah 10 spd (& 11 & 12spd) derailleur compatibility but up to 9spd it's compatible with older Shimano RD pull ratios. Basically most 6-10 spd Shimano RD is OK and most of the older 8-9spd MTB rear derailleurs are also OK. So using a Sensah shifter with an older MTB RD should be great match.
Here is more info after where it says "Most 8- and 9-speed Shimano mountain bike and road kit is inter-compatible because they both use the same cable pull ratio. "
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...r-derailleurs/
Old 09-05-21, 09:40 AM
cherokeeronin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
I'm not sure about Sensah 10 spd (& 11 & 12spd) derailleur compatibility but up to 9spd it's compatible with older Shimano RD pull ratios. Basically most 6-10 spd Shimano RD is OK and most of the older 8-9spd MTB rear derailleurs are also OK. So using a Sensah shifter with an older MTB RD should be great match.
Here is more info after where it says "Most 8- and 9-speed Shimano mountain bike and road kit is inter-compatible because they both use the same cable pull ratio. "
Thank you for the link!

I was writing down if I went with Shimano STIs, but they're too expensive for me 😅 Safe to say that mix matching RDs wouldn't be a problem. If I were to use 9speed and lower if Im not mistaken.

Im thinking now, if the Shensah 10speed STIs would work with Alivio RD? 🤔 (what do you think about this?), this is mostly my main concern.

So I wouldnt have the trouble of buying the wrong thing. If the 10speed Shensah STIs wouldnt fit, I'll probably go down with the 9 speed. I hope I explained that properly.

My local bike mechanics here wouldnt give me a definite answer. Since they're not really a fan of mix matching brands.