Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Creeking From Front Wheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-21, 07:13 AM
Straightbangin

Bikes: Liv Alight 2, Kent Ridgeline, Huffy Cranbrook, Schwinn Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey guys. I have a cheap Kent Ridgeline hybrid bicycle that I love. It started making a creeking noise that I believe is coming from the front wheel. It will make the sound randomly even just coasting. I made sure all the spokes are at the right tension and none are broken. I soaked a good amount of bike oil into the hub by laying it on its side for awhile on each side so it really soaked in. It still makes the noise. It sounds like the rim is just like " annoyed with me & grumpy " I really can't explain it. It's just an annoying sound. Any idea what it could be or how to fix it? Thanks.
Old 09-15-21, 08:43 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Since most front wheels share a common fork spacing, the first thing I'd do is swap the wheel out with another one to verify the source of the noise. Also, make sure the front brake pads aren't rubbing the rim or tire.

Soaking a hub in oil isn't the same thing as properly greasing the bearings, which I assume are loose-ball. So while you're doing that, inspect the cups, cones, axle, and the bearings themselves.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-15-21, 09:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Rim brakes? Open them up wider. Just flip the release if it has one. If the sound goes away then your rim is not true enough or your brakes are adjusted a tad too close to the rim. But don't do this on a hill with a twisty turn or where traffic is.

If the sound is an actual creak, then I still favor spokes. Though they may all feel tensioned correctly how do you know they are the right tension? Also, if you shift your weight rearward or forward, does that have an affect on the creak?

Creaks and clicks can be hard to find sometimes. I don't get immediately worried about them other than just look at the bike and make certain everything appears to be okay. I'll live with a creak or click for months on end till they finally make themselves known. Usually they are a "Duh" moment. Seldom are they any real safety concerns. And those that are a mechanical issue won't cost any more to fix when they do finally show their damage than it will cost you now.
Old 09-16-21, 08:42 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Try oiling the spoke nipples.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 09-17-21, 10:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Try oiling the spoke nipples.
And also rub some paraffin or wax of some sort at the point where the spokes intersect and touch another.
Old 09-17-21, 10:10 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Might be time to clean and repack the front hub. Dirty bearings sometimes manifest as creaks and pings in the spokes.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-17-21, 08:29 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
I had a squeak from the rear wheel of my folding commuter bike for several months. I looked into most the possibilities mentioned above, and others such as the possibility of a cracked rim. The noise went away when the tire pressure was increased. I was trying to think of a way the noise could come from the hub, an Alfine-11. The actual cause of the noise was much less exotic.
It was a rusted spot on the wire bead of the tire, which was rubbing on the inside of the rim. The rubber had been rubbed off the bead by repeated removal and remounting of the tire. I eliminated the noise by dripping a small amount of silicone lubricant along the bead in the rusted area.