Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Colnago Master X Lite builders please help!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 04:58 PM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts

Further to my other thread on 'which frame to buy', I went for the Colnago.

I'm going to use a combination of Campagnolo Centaur and Chorus, and possibly Nitto stem and bars. I want a modern classic look and I'm not too concerned about weight.

Can anyone help me with a couple of details on the build?

1) Bottom bracket - it's Italian thread, but what width do I need with a Centaur compact chainset?

2) Steerer tube / headset - the frame is coming with the Colnago Precisa forks, but I'm not sure what steerer tube is on that - can someone tell me so I can choose the right headset?

3) Stem - can I use the Nitto Technomic Deluxe quill stem, which is 22.2mm? I'm guessing if the steerer tube is the bigger size I use a shim to make it 26mm?

4) 'Classic' wheelset - If anyone has suggestions for a classic, simple-looking wheelset - preferably silver rims, spokes and hubs (and peel-off logo stickers) - please chip in.

My usage will be anything from evening rides, to 100 mile days out... nothing competitive and not fully loaded with baggage. I'm 200lbs, but a good 15lbs of that is coming off!

Any other build suggestions welcome - it's my first, but I've got my LBS mechanic on standby.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-10, 05:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
I built up an old Battaglin steel fram two years ago, so I have some idea of where you're going. I ended up with 2006 Chorus with a Centaur RE (all silver vs black). But campy's made some changes since then.

Is the fork threaded or threadless? The seller should know. In either case, you can go with a Chris King headset in silver, and get better quality than Campy.

WRT the stem, again, threaded or threadless? If it's threaded, then they're all pretty much the same size where they go into the steerer. The bar end - that's different. You probably want a 26.0, if you can't find a 31.8 - which would be difficult. Most quill stems are 25.8 or 26.0, which I believe are pretty much interchangeable. 26.0 bars are getting harder to find, so if you find one you like, buy a couple.

WRT the BB, step cautiously. IIRC, anything Campy after 2006 or 2007 will not work with an old-style, square-spindle BB.

Someone more knowledgeable will no doubt be able to provide more help.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-05-10, 05:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Oh! I forgot the wheelset! I got White Industries hubs, bright silver, with Velocity Fusion rims in polished silver, and Sapim spokes,28f/32R. Beautiful wheels!

Old 01-05-10, 05:21 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
There is only one Italian BB width and your Colnago uses it - 70mm. I can't imagine that this steel frame uses anything but a standard 1" steel steering tube, but I would also assume it is no longer threaded, but requires a conventional threadless headset. Perhaps a threaded steering tube is still offered.

I can't believe that anyone would buy a frame without knowing what he is buying! Ask the seller.

The picture on post #38 show a relatively new Master X-light. It's got a threadless stem and 1" steering tube, as best I can tell. Most 1-1/8" threadless stem come with a bushing for 1" and if they don't your LBS can provide one. I've got several since 1" steering tubes are rarely seen these days.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...pact-Pro/page2

https://www.windwave.co.uk/colnago_fr...terxlight.html

Last edited by DaveSSS; 01-05-10 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 07:18 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
sounds like you have a great vision in mind, cant wait to see it completed.

that said, based on your questions above, i would make sure to do some serious research before you buy anything...
Old 01-06-10, 01:54 AM
Monkey Face

Originally Posted by DaveSSS

I can't believe that anyone would buy a frame without knowing what he is buying! Ask the seller.
Excuse my dumb questions. I did plenty of research on the FRAME and got lots of help from Forum members. I thought that size, geometry, testimonials, brand reputation, material etc... were more important things to think about than which BB it takes. (Oh, and price... it was only £990.00.)

As for information... have you been to the Colnago website? Geometry is all you get.

DaveSSS - I think what was confusing me is the axle lengths, presumably different for triples and doubles. Thanks for making me aware if this.

I will of course ask the seller (and like I said, I have my LBS mechanic to advise once I get the frame), but - in the meantime - if anyone has experience of building THIS frame I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.

Last edited by Monkey Face; 01-06-10 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-06-10, 01:58 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkey Face
3) Stem - can I use the Nitto Technomic Deluxe quill stem, which is 22.2mm? I'm guessing if the steerer tube is the bigger size I use a shim to make it 26mm?
There are no shims that reduce a 1 1/8 so that you can use a 1" quill stem in it.

Last edited by operator; 01-06-10 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-06-10, 05:26 AM
Jay Olson

Bikes: Sarto Asola, Colnago EPS, Specialized Crux Sport E5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) Bottom bracket - it's Italian thread, but what width do I need with a Centaur compact chainset?
Square taper Centaur/Veloce cranks use 111mm spindle width. As was stated previously, all Italian bottom brackets are 70mm wide. Note also that they are right-hand threaded on both sides.

Last edited by Jay Olson; 01-06-10 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-06-10, 09:49 AM
Monkey Face

Thanks Guys.

I've spoken to my mechanic and I understand the BB and headset stuff now. Steerer tube is 1", so I'll go for an old-fashioned quill stem I think. Will probably go for a Centaur groupset for the rest.
Old 01-06-10, 10:19 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
You can only use a quill stem if the steering tube is threaded. It might be offered either way, but once again, ask the seller. A lot of traditional steel frames come with 1" unthreaded steering tubes and require a threadless headset and stem.
Old 01-06-10, 11:42 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- if anyone has experience of building THIS frame I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.
You need a 1 inch threadless headset. A quill stem is out of the question. Choose a 1 inch stem or buy a 1-1/8 inch steerer adaptor sleeve and use 1-1/8 stem that are more common.
Old 01-06-10, 12:01 PM
ComesATime71
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like he said, or buy a chrome curved 1 inch threaded fork on ebay.. The old threaded curved forks look cooler as well.
Old 01-06-10, 12:04 PM
jackblack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure that shouldn't be a 70mm x 102mm for a double? I thought the 111mm was for a triple.

Pretty sure I have a Campy Chorus 70mm x 102mm for my Chorus double on my Colnago Tecnos.
Old 01-06-10, 12:19 PM
Monkey Face

Originally Posted by clausen
You need a 1 inch threadless headset. A quill stem is out of the question. Choose a 1 inch stem or buy a 1-1/8 inch steerer adaptor sleeve and use 1-1/8 stem that are more common.
You're right, thanks! My mechanic is bald, but this was definitely a 'blonde moment' (can't be too harsh; he hasn't actually seen the forks yet).

The Velo Orange stem looks retro-ish and will work (with a shim) and it's light.

Either that or trade the forks for threaded ones... the curved ones do look better, but I assume I really should keep the same offset?

Anyway, just to be sure, I'm not buying anything until I've physically got the frame and forks.

Last edited by Monkey Face; 01-06-10 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 12:31 PM
Mr. Fly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jackblack
Are you sure that shouldn't be a 70mm x 102mm for a double? I thought the 111mm was for a triple.

Pretty sure I have a Campy Chorus 70mm x 102mm for my Chorus double on my Colnago Tecnos.
Last generation Chrous and Record square-taper double cranks use 102mm spindles and the triple cranks use 111mm asymmetrical spindles.

The square-taper Centaur double cranks definitely use a 111mm symmetrical spindle.

All use ISO tapers so if one is buying a non-Campagnolo BB, do look out for that detail.
Old 01-06-10, 01:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

If you're going for a crank that requires a square-taper BB, you could use a Phil Wood. That's what I used on mine, with Chorus cranks. Great fit, and better bearings than the Campy BB. A bit more expensive, yes, but well worth it for a classic build.

WRT the fork - the straight-bladed Precisa fork is part of the Colnago look. Since you chose Colnago despite the greater expense, it seems a shame to then not use the Precisa fork. Besides, where else are you going to get a fork crown with the Colnago logo?

Last edited by genejockey; 01-06-10 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Oops
Old 01-06-10, 01:30 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Velo Orange stem looks retro-ish and will work (with a shim) and it's light.

Either that or trade the forks for threaded ones... the curved ones do look better, but I assume I really should keep the same offset?

Anyway, just to be sure, I'm not buying anything until I've physically got the frame and forks.
Don't be a fool, keep that fork. Colnago with Ferrari came up with the straight fork. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colnago#History

This is probably the look your going after.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/t-miller/3398447512/
Old 01-06-10, 01:30 PM
ComesATime71
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
k. Besides, where else are you going to get a fork crown with the Colnago logo?
They are on ebay all the time. NOS to boot...
Old 01-06-10, 03:15 PM
Monkey Face

Originally Posted by clausen
Don't be a fool, keep that fork. Colnago with Ferrari came up with the straight fork. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colnago#History

This is probably the look your going after.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/t-miller/3398447512/

Okay... I'll keep the forks... I was just sulking in the realisation that I couldn't use a quill stem.

Anyway, thanks Clausen... that is pretty much the look. Nice details. I saw one with lots of black components and thought the frame looked somewhat lost, but that one is really what I'm after.

Any idea what stem that is? And the rims? Also, the bottle cages are really nice - elegant without being too retro, just right. (In fact they kind of look inspired by the Colnago tube shaping... perfect.)

Thanks again.

Last edited by Monkey Face; 01-06-10 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 03:43 PM
Everest

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay... I'll keep the forks... I was just sulking in the realisation that I couldn't use a quill stem.
There is another alternative if you're set on a quill stem and want to keep the stock fork. The stock fork has a 1" steel steerer tube as far as I know there is no reason that you could not have it cut down and threaded. This would enable you to run a threaded headset and quill stem. The threading would probably have to be done by a frame builder though. Try posting over in classic and vintage they should be able to point you in the right direction of where to go to get your steerer tube threaded.
Old 01-06-10, 11:23 PM
Grimlock
Frozen in carbonite

Bikes: '85 Full Cycle Cycle.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Everest
The stock fork has a 1" steel steerer tube as far as I know there is no reason that you could not have it cut down and threaded.
It is limiting yourself to an outdated technology, for starters. If you're still set on a quill stem though, any good LBS (that has been around for 10 years) should have the tools and be able to thread and cut a steerer for you.
Old 01-06-10, 11:37 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i just had a local shop cut and thread a fork for about $25.

i have a few 102mm italian thread record bottom brackets laying around if you go with a record or chorus crank. i would go with a new athena ultra torque setup though. its not 100% classic but would look nice and keep it somewhat modern.

i can second thee vote for phil woods or white industries hubs. thy are both very nice and look classy.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 01-06-10 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-07-10, 02:49 AM
Monkey Face

Originally Posted by Grimlock
It is limiting yourself to an outdated technology, for starters. If you're still set on a quill stem though, any good LBS (that has been around for 10 years) should have the tools and be able to thread and cut a steerer for you.

Thanks Grimlock, I'll ask about threading... I'm quite comfortable with this being an 'outdated technology' project.
Old 01-07-10, 03:49 AM
plasticmaam12

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You can not do what several posters advised you to do. The interior diameter of a modern threadless fork steerer tube will not accomodate a quill stem. And It's not suited to having external threads cut upon it. YMMV.
Old 01-07-10, 04:11 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimlock
What exactly is outdated about a stem that is infinitely (within its range) adjustable in height?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.