Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Sturmey Archer AM 3 speed hub/internals

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-02-10, 07:50 AM
Carcinogent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I am looking for a Sturmey Archer AM, for a conversion project (I want to swap AW internals for a the more closely spaced AM). Ebay had a hub or two couple of weeks ago but since then no luck. Does anyone have an old hub or know someone that might have one and is willing to sell? Also unless the hub requires any extremely hard to find parts I can overhaul/do most repairs myself.

-Carcinogent

P.S. My initial idea was to put in Sprinter 5 speed internals (HSX 140), however, the low gear pawls and the freewheel ratchets inside the 3 speed do not match (the freewheel ratchets are placed too wide). In theory that was supposed to be a pretty straightforward job according to my own research and opinion of others, unfortunately it did not work in practice.
Old 03-02-10, 01:57 PM
Altmangf
word.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have an old AM, but I too would like to find one! Here are a few starters for your search.

https://www.phoenixhubgearrepairs.co.uk/
https://www.bikeville.com/hubs.html
https://www.rideyourbike.com/index.html
https://www.v-cc.org.uk/index.html

I'd like to hear if you have success finding an AM or AC hub.

Gabe
Old 03-02-10, 03:05 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcinogent
-Carcinogent

P.S. My initial idea was to put in Sprinter 5 speed internals (HSX 140), however, the low gear pawls and the freewheel ratchets inside the 3 speed do not match (the freewheel ratchets are placed too wide). In theory that was supposed to be a pretty straightforward job according to my own research and opinion of others, unfortunately it did not work in practice.
The 5 speeds that fit in AW shells are S5, S5/1 and S5/2 all are two cable models. IIRC The single cable sprinter has a reputation for not being as reliable as the earlier models.
Old 03-02-10, 03:42 PM
Carcinogent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help! I'll check those links out, and keep my eyes open if something comes up on ebay. Back when i was still on the 5 speed conversion, I could swear there were a couple of AM hubs at a time but oh well, gotta stay patient=P

@ QMnHPVA Guy: Thanks for the input, I wish i knew that before. I keep hearing the Sprinter 5 has some problems esp really low efficiency in gears 1 and 5, but for me, the medium range is what I was interested in, hence my newly found interest in obtaining an AM. Can't go wrong with three speeds. AM has the same bulletproof and simple design as the timeless AW, however using compound planet pinions so it should really do the trick. I don't even have to change cables and shifters...I wish it was always this easy=)

-Carcinogent