Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ebay Buyer Unhappy - What Would You Do?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ebay Buyer Unhappy - What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11, 06:06 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AllezDada
I would find out how much an LBS (near the OP) would charge to replace the bearings, and if not unreasonable, offer that amount back. I also sell on eBay, and really try to keep my buyers happy, and if the fix is not too expensive it would be worth it to me to keep the buyer satisfied.
This is what I would do as well although I share the sentiment posted earlier about good and asshat ebayers. Make it right if it isn't too costly or take them back. BTW, having served doesn't automatically make a person good.
Old 07-04-11, 06:29 AM
Nick29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Or offer to pay his LBS direct for the work.
This would be perfectly reasonable, and would give you a better idea of whether the buyer's claims are legit.
Old 07-04-11, 06:37 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
You absolutely KNOW that the bearings were fine - and if you have good feedback so far, I'd either take one bad feedback or split the cost in exchange for good feedback.
Old 07-04-11, 06:39 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seems like 4 months for a response and hes well out of the 60 day period to file a claim right?
Old 07-04-11, 06:45 AM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My return policy is 7 days... so he/she knew that when they purchased the wheels.. Also, good luck getting back money already paid to Paypal and eBay.

In my opinion the "right thing" is for you to make him honor the deal.
Old 07-04-11, 06:48 AM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and the right thing to do would be (and this coming from somebody who has a seller score of 100% with over 1000 auctions closed) tell him to read the TOS. he has a certain amount of time to review the product and contact the seller, if the item is not as described then he can take that up with you, if you don't feel you should replace it then he can dispute it through paypal, which you and he can leave it up to them to settle the claim. If he's buying things that he knows he can't physically look over for 4 months he shouldn't be buying them from ebay. If he's buying wheels that are 3+ years old and doesn't want pay to have the hubs serviced then he's just an ebay troll...you can see other items he's won and see feedback he's left as well as feedback responses, if it's something common with him then screw him. If he's legitimately concerned over the wheels then offer a partial refund, he can pay for the listing and closing fees plus the paypal fees (for withdrawing money) etc. plus shipping...im sure all of this will change his mind and he will see that paying to service his hubs himself might be just the same...
Old 07-04-11, 06:50 AM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
also, having purchased some 105 brakes from Rad last Fall for the girlfriend... his item was as described.
Old 07-04-11, 06:57 AM
K&K_Dad
Schleckaholic

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sorry, I'm just not buying this. Same thing as everyone else. just about everytime I order something it arrives while I'm at work. Unless it's for the wife I ask her to open it immediately to make sure that everything is there and in working order. Did this man say where these wheels were stored in the 4 months they 'sat around'? Climate controlled storage or out back in the shed. I'm all for our guys and gals in the service and would do anything for em but I find it insane the no one could check on these wheels for him in 4 months. Hope things work out for ya.
Old 07-04-11, 07:04 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Personally, I think tough cookies to that guy. That's the risk you take buying stuff on eBay. If he doesn't like it, he can cough up the dough and buy from a retailer or someone he knows personally.
Old 07-04-11, 07:14 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I would wonder if the guy can accurately assess wheel bearing condition and what at what point they need replacing.
Old 07-04-11, 07:24 AM
KateinNH

Bikes: Oh Gosh! My kids say I'm a hoarder -- Roads: Basso, Gitane, Fixie: Old Shwinn, Fontane, MTB: Cannondale hardtail, Jamis Drakar, Specialized FSR (early), Giant 760 FSX (something like that), myriad wheels tires and other junk I won't let go of.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, I've bought and sold on Ebay a lot and I'd say to him that you are sorry he seems to think there is something wrong with the bearings, but that you know they were good when you sent them out and that you expect people to examine their products within 30 days of receipt.

You can try that and see if he leaves it be. But, unfortunately the way Ebay sets their rules, he has the ability to open a case on the transaction and press it until Paypal covers his loss and makes you pay up -- if you refuse to reach an agreement with him.

Possibly you could offer a partial refund if you get the feeling that he'll press the issue -- if he responds or opens a "case" after your first response stating you don't feel responsible. Ebay protects buyer more than sellers. I've bought many sketchy things on Ebay, even an old truck, knowing that I have almost 100% right of return for any defect or misrepresentation that I perceive.
Old 07-04-11, 07:29 AM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's too late for that...he has 60 days...after 90 the transaction can't even be pulled up on eBay only paypal history.
Old 07-04-11, 07:55 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with getting an LBS involved. You should have a professional opinion on the state of the bearings because the buyer may not know what he's talking about. If they say the bearings are bad and you want to make the buyer happy (ie. shut him up) then cover the cost of standard bearing replacement. You wouldn't want to give him a free bearing upgrade.
Old 07-04-11, 08:00 AM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LBS will service anything and suggest it just as well....it's how they Pay the rent...seriously offer a refund minus ALL costs...fees and shipping...he'd save more keeping them and fixing em
Old 07-04-11, 08:19 AM
glrnns280

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell him to send proof that he was overseas and that he had just got home. Then if its true send him money for the parts.Just explain to him this happens all the time in the world of ebay,people like to scam.
Old 07-04-11, 08:29 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I would wonder if the guy can accurately assess wheel bearing condition and what at what point they need replacing.
That's a good point. Is this guy even able to diagnose some perceived problem with the wheel?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-04-11, 08:34 AM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
Additional information - he's not looking to send the wheels back, at least not yet...just for me to pay to replace the bearings.

Bearings are standard garden variety cartridge style but I would imagine it should also include some funds for labor. I can't imagine it would be all that much...
Since you want to be nice even after 4 months get the numbers of the bearings pick up a set and send them, tell him you will supply bearings and he's going to have to have them installed or do it himself. That's a good compromise for something that's 4 months old I'd say .
Old 07-04-11, 09:15 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lots of good information here...thank you all for your responses. Here is how I handled it.

First, there is no way I can say with 100% certainty that the bearings were perfect when I shipped the wheels. I can only be 98% certain. Second, I dug up the Paypal record of the AUCTION and was reminded that the winner paid more for a set of used wheels than he would have for a new set - which are still available in shops. Both of these contributed to my willingness to work with the buyer.

I researched the cost of new cartridge bearings for this wheelset, which are relatively inexpensive. The hubs aren't anything unusual in terms of design so I offered to pay for both the bearings and the labor and I requested to pay the shop direct.

His response was one of surprise and gratitude which confirmed for me that he was being honest in the first place.

As for the bearings, the only thing I can think of is that some moisture got in there and the long sit mucked them up.

55/Rad
Old 07-04-11, 09:50 AM
KateinNH

Bikes: Oh Gosh! My kids say I'm a hoarder -- Roads: Basso, Gitane, Fixie: Old Shwinn, Fontane, MTB: Cannondale hardtail, Jamis Drakar, Specialized FSR (early), Giant 760 FSX (something like that), myriad wheels tires and other junk I won't let go of.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with socalrider and think that consulting with the seller's forum on Ebay is a good way to go, especially considering that its been long past the time for making a grievance -- he may have lost some of his leverage.

Also, consider how much time you want to put into this issue? How much money are we talking here? What is your time worth? Would it shut him up to just send him ten or twenty bucks toward another set of bearings or would you be better to just wait it out, especially considering that you don't have a positive or negative feedback to gain or lose by this, so I think consulting with Ebay experts would be good advice and then considering how much time this is worth to act on at all outside of the ebay advisers.
Old 07-04-11, 10:23 AM
cyanemi

Bikes: 1989 Fuji Saratoga, Salsa Mukluk, Electra Townie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sold a set of wheels back in early March - decent set that was used and in fine shape. Not perfect or mint but structurally sound and cosmetically nice. About 3 years old.

Buyer writes today - 4 months later - to tell me that he just returned home from being deployed and that he opened the box TODAY to find that the bearings are shot on both wheels. They certainly weren't shot when I boxed them up.

A hundred things ran through my mind and I know what I'm going to do but I'm wondering...

How would you handle? And no, he hasn't left feedback yet.

55/Rad
I would refund and have him send them back at his expense.
Old 07-04-11, 10:53 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
ebay. Not worth the hassle.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 07-04-11, 11:10 AM
AllezDada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of good information here...thank you all for your responses. Here is how I handled it.

First, there is no way I can say with 100% certainty that the bearings were perfect when I shipped the wheels. I can only be 98% certain. Second, I dug up the Paypal record of the AUCTION and was reminded that the winner paid more for a set of used wheels than he would have for a new set - which are still available in shops. Both of these contributed to my willingness to work with the buyer.

I researched the cost of new cartridge bearings for this wheelset, which are relatively inexpensive. The hubs aren't anything unusual in terms of design so I offered to pay for both the bearings and the labor and I requested to pay the shop direct.

His response was one of surprise and gratitude which confirmed for me that he was being honest in the first place.

As for the bearings, the only thing I can think of is that some moisture got in there and the long sit mucked them up.

55/Rad
Sounds like a reasonable solution (and happy ending) for you and the buyer.
Old 07-04-11, 02:34 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does it really take an LBS to replace cartridge bearings?

Offer to send him new bearings if he sends you the old ones.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 07-04-11, 02:37 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Not sure if you're using eBay to sell a whole bunch of stuff, if you are, you probably wanna take more sensible advise. BUT you asked what we would do... and me... I'd tell the guy to go screw himself. I've had enough of being the good guy having his balls busted. You get these real low lifes screwing the good sellers.
Old 07-04-11, 02:40 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts

55/Rad
Proof once again of why you deserve the respect that you get from so many on this forum (and in real life I would assume), including myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.