Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes on high end road bikes. Brunyeel says it's time. He is correct.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Disc brakes on high end road bikes. Brunyeel says it's time. He is correct.

Old 07-14-11, 04:47 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I have created a bike/tech weenie monster with this stupid thread.
Old 07-14-11, 04:53 PM
mrbubbles
?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutnick
There was a guy on the forum here that had one too and he had it down to crazy light considering it was a steel frame. He even had carbon hoops built up for it. Cannondale had a disc model too.
This is the one. By MIN.

Disc is the future. I had one for a bad weather/long-distance-big-mountain-ride bike and it rules.

Avid BB7 road discs are seriously all you need. Anything else is just for weight savings and that Tektro adapter only adds weight.
Tektro has a road disc caliper that's 100 gms lighter than BB7s.
Old 07-14-11, 04:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker
Imagine a scenario where at 20mph you grab the brakes with full force.
It's called a panic stop, and it doesn't feel any different based on the type of brakes on your bike.
Old 07-14-11, 05:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I have created a bike/tech weenie monster with this stupid thread.
true dat
Old 07-14-11, 05:15 PM
Minion1

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Werkin
Yes, they do, 32 spoke 3X is the minimum recommended for disc brake applications, and spoke arrangement is specific also. The recommendation covers a broad range of uses. Although I've seen non-recommended wheel builds survive. I followed widely recognized build recommendations and then some.
Sorry but Im highly amused by the idea that Zipp is going to offer you superlight weight 303 rims built up 32 spoke 3 cross around a disc hub. Who in their right mind would pay for that? If Zipp and others are already pushing the limits at 16 - 20 spoke configurations, how are they going to deal with the different requirements?
Old 07-14-11, 05:16 PM
Minion1

Originally Posted by BS87
Carbon Clinchers without having to worry about brake heat issues? Yes Please.
Why do you have to worry about heat build up with carbon clinchers?
Old 07-14-11, 05:42 PM
BS87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't old/cheap ones used to have problems caused by the heat of braking? Something about resins in the cf?
Old 07-14-11, 05:53 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
Originally Posted by BS87
Didn't old/cheap ones used to have problems caused by the heat of braking? Something about resins in the cf?
I read an article some time back (perhaps by Zinn) that the temperatures reached by braking are in the same range where normal resins used with CF start softening. This is a huge problem with clinchers because it means the air pressure can start pushing the sidewalls outward. For this reason, more expensive high-temp resins must be used to prevent this.
Old 07-14-11, 06:21 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
It should be good. The only downside of the Poprad was the 130mm spacing but disc hubs can be found for 130mm if people look hard enough.
Novatec has two models available already.

Old 07-14-11, 06:29 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by Minion1
Sorry but Im highly amused by the idea that Zipp is going to offer you superlight weight 303 rims built up 32 spoke 3 cross around a disc hub. Who in their right mind would pay for that? If Zipp and others are already pushing the limits at 16 - 20 spoke configurations, how are they going to deal with the different requirements?
If you design a disc specific carbon rim it means there is no brake track and that frees up design considerably - especially if you are designing tubualrs.

For instance, you could go wider and taller on the tubular bed which would alter both the contact patch and the interface between the tire and the rim. I'm sure there is a lot of room here for aero improvements. I'd image that guys at companies like ZIPP would LOVE to have this design restriction removed and be allowed to rethink this entire elemnt of rim/wheel design.

The weight of added spoks need for disc application would, most likely, be offset by the material not needed for brake tracks. It would pretty much be a wash.

To those only thining about stopping power your view is too limited.

Big John nailed it when he talked about long mountain descents. Caliper brakes give you Popeye forearms half way down the mountian and it only gets worse with brake fade. Add rain and carbon rims to the mix and it's an issue worth addressing.

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 07-14-11 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-14-11, 07:13 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
J. Brunyeel of Team Radio Shack said recently that with lighter equipment and higher speeds, it's time for disc brakes on road bikes, and that better braking might reduce the crashes in pro racing. He may have a point. Racing bikes have minimal traction to begin with (tiny tire contact patch), rim brakes on carbon braking surfaces only exacerbate things. Disc brakes are exponentially better on wet roads too.

I'm sure the wizards of Shimano and Sram can come up with a disc braking set up that only adds 200 grams to a modern racing bike. Well worth the weight penalty in my view.

I go back and forth between my racing bicycles and my 700 lb motorcycle with disc brakes front and rear. The motorcycle stops on a dime from speeds of 30-50 mph. There's no such thing as a panic stop on a racing bicycle at those speeds. If that situation arises, you are mostly going to crash. I do think disc brakes would improve your odds in those circumstances.
If Brunyeel thinks disk brakes are necessary, I guess he should know better than anyone. However, I'm personally not sure what advantage they would provide. I see where they would be better for high speed braking on descents, since they won't heatup the rims. However, I assume that disk brakes would provide more braking power from the brakes. But unless you can control the extra braking power, there will be more wheel lockups and skidding. It already easy enough to do this with rim brakes. Having never used disk brakes on a bicycle, do they provide better brake modulation? If so, riders would have better control of their braking.
Old 07-14-11, 07:16 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by bikepro
If Brunyeel thinks disk brakes are necessary, I guess he should know better than anyone. However, I'm personally not sure what advantage they would provide. I see where they would be better for high speed braking on descents, since they won't heatup the rims. However, I assume that disk brakes would provide more braking power from the brakes. But unless you can control the extra braking power, there will be more wheel lockups and skidding. It already easy enough to do this with rim brakes. Having never used disk brakes on a bicycle, do they provide better brake modulation? If so, riders would have better control of their braking.
Read the thread.

Usually this is completely pointless on BF but for this thread you might actually learn something both for and against on the subject at hand (with a few idjits sprinkled in).

Old 07-14-11, 07:23 PM
mrbubbles
?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro
But unless you can control the extra braking power, there will be more wheel lockups and skidding. It already easy enough to do this with rim brakes. Having never used disk brakes on a bicycle, do they provide better brake modulation? If so, riders would have better control of their braking.
Stupid questions should be forbidden from people who haven't used disc brakes with 23c tires on road bike.
Old 07-14-11, 07:49 PM
Guitarrick

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fairweather only not-so-mechanically-inclined (or not-so-mechanically caring enough for a leisurely bike ride) riders could benefit from sticking with v-brakes. Check out Kool Stop salmons. They're the $hite.

Whatever-weather riding as a usual mode of transportation people ---> discs could be your ticket.

I don't see the pros running discs anytime soon. Why bother? I don't know the weight difference of the lightest v-brake vs the lightest disc brake... that may be why..

I'm still trying to get my discs dialed in. Does anyone have a future disc brake TdF mechanic they can spare for a day?
Old 07-14-11, 08:13 PM
Minion1

Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
If you design a disc specific carbon rim it means there is no brake track and that frees up design considerably - especially if you are designing tubualrs.

For instance, you could go wider and taller on the tubular bed which would alter both the contact patch and the interface between the tire and the rim. I'm sure there is a lot of room here for aero improvements. I'd image that guys at companies like ZIPP would LOVE to have this design restriction removed and be allowed to rethink this entire elemnt of rim/wheel design.

The weight of added spoks need for disc application would, most likely, be offset by the material not needed for brake tracks. It would pretty much be a wash.

To those only thining about stopping power your view is too limited.

Big John nailed it when he talked about long mountain descents. Caliper brakes give you Popeye forearms half way down the mountian and it only gets worse with brake fade. Add rain and carbon rims to the mix and it's an issue worth addressing.
Cheers, you raise good points. But I still have reservations about the idea, because to my mind cable disk brakes don't have the modulation or power of hydraulics, and tbh I wouldn't change from rim brakes to cable disks - it's just not worth the bother, I don't think you'll gain that much. You can still burn your arms out braking using cable disks, it seems the expectation gap with disks is running away with people already.

WRT rim design, there will likely be another design restriction that we just don't know about yet...once a rim/tyre combination goes past a certain point, there may be diminishing aero benefits, if you remove the brake track the wheel may need reinforcing elsewhere, and while it may free up rim designers, (who wouldn't like a challenge like that to work on?) your assumed benefits have to overcome the fact that, on the front wheel for instance you'd have to nearly double the spoke count and add a rotor. This may be different for companies like Mavic and Fulcrum, who may be able to add fewer spokes because of their spoke design, but still that's a long bow to draw.

There may be tremendous advances in cable disk brake design, that I just don't know about and that make all my points moot. Also, if you're making long descents in the wet on carbon rims with a carbon brake track you probably need your head read, there's no safety device like common sense. I have a light, old aluminium box section tubular with a ton of spokes I use for rides like that. Brakes great.

I'm going to stick to my guns for now, that until there is a solution that allows hydraulic brakes to be used on a road bike the jump isn't worth making. I'm 99 per cent sure that at some point I'll be proven wrong, but who can't say that.

EDIT I'm only commenting on road race bikes. Cross bikes, tourers, tandems they've been around for ages and are a done deal.

Last edited by Minion1; 07-14-11 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-14-11, 09:25 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think this makes sense. You said it yourself when you said the contact patch is already very small with the skinny tires. Increasing stopping power would only cause the tires to lock up that much faster. How could this possibly be a good thing? The riders aren't going down because they can't stop fast enough. They are going down because they are locking up the tires while going around the turns.

Comparing a motorcycle with a larger tire contact patch and another 500 lbs of weight is not a fair comparison.
Old 07-14-11, 09:31 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1
EDIT I'm only commenting on road race bikes. Cross bikes, tourers, tandems they've been around for ages and are a done deal.
Keep in mind that cross bikes and road bikes are virtually the same. Cross bikes have been racing in road races for a long time. can't tell you how many times I've looked up in a pack to see cantilevers in front of me. In the pro ranks they often show up for the spring classics as a way to gain mud clearance.

As you say - cross bikes are a done deal - therefore there will be road race ready bikes peaking into low end amateur races sooner rather than later. Spring races roll around next season I know we will see a few cross bikes here locally....and I am sure there will be a disc. Officials will be all over it, but it WILL happen. think about it.

Old 07-14-11, 09:53 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbubbles
Stupid questions should be forbidden from people who haven't used disc brakes with 23c tires on road bike.
You know what? That kind of reply is totally unwarranted. I'm smart enough to know when I don't know something and ask a legitimate question. I've never found it necessary to attack anyone for absolutely no reason -- and I won't start now.
Old 07-14-11, 10:09 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Keep in mind that cross bikes and road bikes are virtually the same. Cross bikes have been racing in road races for a long time. can't tell you how many times I've looked up in a pack to see cantilevers in front of me. In the pro ranks they often show up for the spring classics as a way to gain mud clearance.

As you say - cross bikes are a done deal - therefore there will be road race ready bikes peaking into low end amateur races sooner rather than later. Spring races roll around next season I know we will see a few cross bikes here locally....and I am sure there will be a disc. Officials will be all over it, but it WILL happen. think about it.
Do you ever get tired being ahead of the curve?

Bloody exhausting, isn't it?

Old 07-14-11, 10:12 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Yup...talk has been 135 from everyone that has one out. There is simply too much product available out there right now for 135. Poprads were 130. Sucks to be them. The Crux(s) are 135. That pic was aluminum - yes.
For cross, I always figured the entry would be people setting up on the front wheel as a disk and leaving the back as a canti. That way people with current frames would only have to buy a new fork / new front wheel, and they'd get the benefit of greater braking where it matters and eliminate brake shudder. This may be a stupid question, but is the front wheel also 130 or 135mm? For some reason I thought it was narrower (and now I'm gonna have to go downstairs and measure it, damn.)

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 07-14-11, 10:56 PM
Werkin

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Front axle is 100mm
Old 07-14-11, 11:19 PM
pbd

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
It's a matter of time before disks are common on road bikes, there are too few real disadvantages for them to not become common. Maybe they won't become the majority, but they won't stay rare for long.

Sure, changes will be required in the design and engineering of both the wheels and the bike. But they provide too many positives with too much open design space for engineers and designers to work in for them to stay rare.

Sure, you need strong mounts, more spokes, etc...but you can make the rim whatever you want it to be with no brake track, your wet braking is better, you get no brake fade, and with more R&D you won't be giving up any weight at all by the time it's all said and done. Plus any weight you do add can be moved from rim to hub, or even rim to frame/fork.

It's only a matter of time. Those Volagi bikes look awesome, and I think we'll be seeing more like them in the near future.
Old 07-15-11, 01:33 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,646 Times in 4,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Runner 1
Everyone claiming extra torque on the fork, how much more torque? I'd like a number. It's easy to throw out wild guesses of how something "might" affect something else.
You really need a number?

How about a pic?

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 07-15-11 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-15-11, 02:21 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I pump up my own bicycle tires you know.
Old 07-15-11, 02:33 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
After truing and alignment, none of my three disc-equipped bikes had that problem. No harder than any other brakes (honestly, it's almost easier...).
This is true. The cable discs on my MTB were very easy to align and the only issue I've had is rub from a bent disc that I bent by dropping the wheel.

And therein is one issue not dealt with here... the discs are the most "fragile" part in the mix, and people's clumsiness or carelessness are likely to produce issues with rub. Touring cyclists who use bikes with discs have always expressed concern about how to protect the discs in transit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.