Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

shoe covers

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

shoe covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-16, 12:30 PM
jbithaca

Bikes: Fuji Jari Carbon 1.1, Honey Winterando (made by Seven), Litespeed Arenberg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
shoe covers

I am looking for shoe covers for my Lake Mt. Bike shoes. Do any of you have experience with the following shoe covers, GORE WINDSTOPPER INSULATED OVERSHOES.

https://www.goreapparel.com/gore-bik...covers&start=2

Thanks for your time.
Old 11-08-16, 02:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
Those look pretty serious. Let us know how they work. The covers I tried didn't work worth a damn.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-09-16, 06:28 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some Gore Windstopper Thermo Overshoes (I think that's the model - they make so many variations). I'm pretty pleased with them. I use them with Woolie Boolie socks when temps drop below 40 deg F (Yes, I'm a wimp) - below about 35 deg F I start thinking about using my Lake Winter Boots (I'm in Nothern California, so it seldom gets below 30 deg F). I also have a couple of different PI booties. They all work pretty well, but right now I prefer the Gore (can't remember why right now - might have something to do with the ease of the zip closure in the back). None of them work that well when it's raining hard .
Old 11-09-16, 06:54 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I haven't tried those but they do look like they would do a good job.

Unfortunately I've had pretty mediocre results with the shoe covers I've tried, but that doesn't mean these won't work.

I do strongly recommend trying to fit a pair on your shoes before you buy as some don't fit well at all.
Old 11-11-16, 06:33 PM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I've had a pair for 3-4 years and they're the best. Mine are lined with polar fleece but the newer new version maybe isn't. They're great for low 40s to mid 20s temp range and I wear them over Sidi's. Be aware the bottoms near the toes will wear through quickly if you walk much on pavement. I have a similar pair made of neoprene by Pearl Izumi. They don't breath and my feet get cold. The Gore Windstopper version breathes and keeps my feet warm and dry. Great product.
Old 11-20-16, 12:49 PM
qwksti

Bikes: litespeed C1R, GT GRADE carbon

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive used these in the past, worked great. lasted a long time.
Old 11-20-16, 04:16 PM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Do they have a sole hole for cleats ? I've been using showers pass overshoes below freezing, but just cut a hole for the cleat. Admittedly, I wear sandals instead of shoes until about 15F and then switch to boots, but would like a more tailored/robust cleat opening if one exists.
Old 11-28-16, 08:00 AM
jbithaca

Bikes: Fuji Jari Carbon 1.1, Honey Winterando (made by Seven), Litespeed Arenberg

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shoe covers

I got a pair of the Gore Bike Wear insulated shoe covers in a size XL (which should fit 11-13). According to the size chart, these should fit my Lake MX237 Mt. Bike Shoes size 45 (size11). They are too big. I have ordered a pair in the Large size. In my experience of buying shoe covers over 30 years, most shoe covers end up being too small and one has to size up. Should be here Wed/Thursday and I will inform the group if they fit any better. Seem well made with a large cleat hole and a piece of velcro which fastens under the bottom of the shoe behind the cleat. One should be able to fit either road or mt. bike shoes though the later might wear through the bottom eventually.
Old 11-28-16, 09:31 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
What kind of temps are you pedaling in?
Old 11-28-16, 11:55 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by jbithaca
I got a pair of the Gore Bike Wear insulated shoe covers in a size XL (which should fit 11-13). According to the size chart, these should fit my Lake MX237 Mt. Bike Shoes size 45 (size11). They are too big. I have ordered a pair in the Large size. In my experience of buying shoe covers over 30 years, most shoe covers end up being too small and one has to size up. Should be here Wed/Thursday and I will inform the group if they fit any better. Seem well made with a large cleat hole and a piece of velcro which fastens under the bottom of the shoe behind the cleat. One should be able to fit either road or mt. bike shoes though the later might wear through the bottom eventually.
Are you returning the too-big covers? If not, I might like to buy them off you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-30-16, 06:30 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by veloz
I've had a pair for 3-4 years and they're the best. Mine are lined with polar fleece but the newer new version maybe isn't. They're great for low 40s to mid 20s temp range and I wear them over Sidi's. Be aware the bottoms near the toes will wear through quickly if you walk much on pavement. I have a similar pair made of neoprene by Pearl Izumi. They don't breath and my feet get cold. The Gore Windstopper version breathes and keeps my feet warm and dry. Great product.
I have the PI neoprene. My feet get cold but that's true with almost anything I've used.

Why would a breathable version be better at keeping your feet warm (the gore windstopper) than the nonbreathable one (the pearl izumi)? You don't really sweat much around your feet and I would have thought that, everything else being equal, a non-breathable shoe cover would be better at keeping your feet warm.

Perhaps the difference is that the Gore overshoes have some insulation and the pearl izumi does not?
Old 11-30-16, 09:00 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I have the PI neoprene. My feet get cold but that's true with almost anything I've used....
I use the PI neoprene with my mountain bike shoes down to about 25F, and then switch to the Lake winter boots for the serious cold.