Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folding Bike security

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Folding Bike security

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 11:29 PM
Here We Go

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
NICE! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-23-13, 10:03 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
TiGr have a new 'shortie'...

...and it accommodates the fold, essentially in situ.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (97.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (99.5 KB, 307 views)
Old 03-23-13, 11:59 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rudymadethis
I recently purchased a Giant Expressway 1 which I would be using on my 2.5 mile commute to work. I figured I'd just take it with me inside the office during the day, but wanted to be able to lock it up outside when I make stops at the gym or market.

With that said, does anyone know of any helpful tips to locking up folding bikes? How do you go about securing your rides? I live in New Haven, CT (small city/home of Yale), so there is always a chance of theft in a metro area.
Why did you buy a folding bicycle in the first place? I don't understand all this hoopla about locking. That problem or concern is for people who have bikes that are not portable/collapsible. If you have a folder, use it's greatest design feature and simply take it with you.
Old 03-24-13, 05:10 AM
cpg

Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
Why did you buy a folding bicycle in the first place? I don't understand all this hoopla about locking. That problem or concern is for people who have bikes that are not portable/collapsible. If you have a folder, use it's greatest design feature and simply take it with you.
I guess because in some situations its just not convenient or the bike is a little too bulky to take into a place such as a small restaurant or shop witch limited space between isles or tables.
Old 03-24-13, 10:11 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
Why did you buy a folding bicycle in the first place? I don't understand all this hoopla about locking.
Surely you understand the difference between, "I bought it so I can ride everywhere I go," and, "I bought it so I can carry it everywhere I go"? Those are very different statements!

Folding bikes are great, but why the hell would you need one in a restaurant, or in a grocery?
Old 03-24-13, 08:29 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cpg
I guess because in some situations its just not convenient or the bike is a little too bulky to take into a place such as a small restaurant or shop witch limited space between isles or tables.
I worked on this problem on all three of my present bikes (2 shown below)-even my former ones as well. See for yourself how I solved the problem of carting them around. From Far Left the red bike is my 21st century Brompton-the most flexible one of all. The brown one is my vintage Raleigh Twenty-even 1970s technology can easily and cheaply upgraded to present storage needs by simple straps and a 2 leg or prong kickstand just like the more modern bikes have. The other 2 were my former Dahons.

My primary way is using a bland luggage cart with the usually bagged bike strapped right on it. If for some reason it is not right for the bike to go with me, no problem at all. I just leave it at home (I did this just yesterday). I spent hundreds, even thousands of dollars on these bikes-even if they were bought used. I treat them all with the respect I give anything I spend a huge amount on. Just as I do with my wallet, purse, laptop, or anything else with value-it stays with me or leave it at home. I don't want to be another bike theft victim. These bikes and their proper use is my solution for now over 10 years. It works. Just give it a chance. All you need is a good bag or slipcover to start.

Originally Posted by chaadster
Surely you understand the difference between, "I bought it so I can ride everywhere I go," and, "I bought it so I can carry it everywhere I go"? Those are very different statements!

Folding bikes are great, but why the hell would you need one in a restaurant, or in a grocery?
Either in a shopping cart/trolley or underneath the table. Especially when I dress up, none is worse for wear. As you can see for yourself, folding bikes are quite at home underneath tables or in shopping carts.

By the way, I don't have or own a heavy lock. Just a simple cable locks when I secure indoors if needed (and that is very rarely I leave the bike alone).
Old 03-24-13, 10:06 PM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster

Not two hours ago, I grabbed a bite in a restaurant, and my bike sat next to the table, and then went to the grocery store, and the bike went in the shopping cart. I don't own a lock. I chose to bike for these errands, even though I could have walked.

That said, I'm starting to want the option to lock up my bike outside. If you arrive somewhere by bike, but leave it outside, no one knows or cares how you got there. But if you bring it inside, it's obtrusive and conspicuous, even if it's not really a problem. I'm starting to feel like I'm that crazy guy who always has his bike with him. And sometimes it is a problem, even if people put up with it. But then this is New York City, so I guess I'll keep on doing what I'm doing. I'm too paranoid and risk averse to let my bike out of my sight.
Old 03-26-13, 01:55 PM
vmaniqui

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
still the best security for me is to fold your bike and wheel it inside. as much as i want to, i can't trust all those bike locks and honestly i never have one. my folding bike is just too precious for me to leave or lock outside. you never know what those bike thieves can do even with all those bike locks.
Old 03-27-13, 01:54 AM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificcyclist
And live a life as a slave to a material possession?!?
A slave with a ride home. My minivelo encountered two would be thieves in one afternoon just Monday... One had the seat off when I caught him, so I locked it, then later watched the second be foiled by the lock.
Old 03-30-13, 11:20 PM
Brimstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use an Abus combination armored cable lock usually with my Dahon Mu XL; it's fairly light and flexible and moderately secure and can go around a lot more stuff than any U-lock. I add a combo-lock Abus 'Bordo' link-plate affair if I think I'm going to a high threat situation. For the seat I use a small cable and run the lock through it; it seems easy to cut though. I bought a Zefal ceat post clamp lock but it's for a smaller diameter post and I have not figured out how to fit it yet. I am considering drilling the bottom of the seat post so I can lower it and run a padlock through it. I'll probably get some Pin-head locking cap-nuts now that they have those for the solid axles on the rear IGH and front dynamo.
Old 04-01-13, 03:46 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Only ever locked my best folder ina few situations.
Several times at uni folded an use cable plus U lock. This location was in full view of class rooms and any potential theifs would stand out. I locked up several bike together to go on a short boat criuse. Occasionly i have locked up at bike shows rather than being lumbered with it.

Other than that it has always stayed with me.
Old 05-25-17, 01:14 PM
Samyjj

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered the Expressway 1.... it looks like good quality.. does it feel right when all unfolded? I wasn't too sure of that lock mechanism. Sorry I know this is the wrong topic... can you tell me if the mechanism is tight and secure?
Old 05-28-17, 06:56 PM
George3

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by charbucks
I have yet to lock up my Brompton for more than half an hour or so, but I will probably end up doing so to go to a bar where it's too crowded to bring it in.
For those occasions that you must leave the bike unattended in a high-theft-environment, you can use a second folding-bike, that was much cheaper, or that is older and uglier. You might buy that one second-hand via the internet.

Last edited by George3; 05-28-17 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-28-17, 07:05 PM
George3

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by George3
For those occasions that you must leave the bike unattended in a high-theft-environment, you can use a second folding-bike, that was much cheaper, or that is older and uglier. You might buy that one second-hand via the internet.
If you need your expensive folding bike and must park it unattended (inside or outside), you can use extra locks to lock it to a pole.
Old 05-28-17, 07:19 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I only rarely fold my bike. I fold it to go in an automobile. I fold it sometimes to ride the Bart train but mostly I don't. I will fold and carry it only if there is no secure place to lock it up. I carry a 2.5lb onguard mini u lock which requires two cuts with an angle grinder. The saddle, seatpost and wheels are secured with special bolts. I don't leave the bike locked up for more than an hour or so at most.
It's faster and easier to put the u lock through the bike than to fold it; it takes less than 10 seconds. I use my bike like a cargo bike and when I have multiple bags of groceries the last thing I want to do is unfold my bike to attach the various bags (the Brompton front bags would never hold all my stuff).
I've a folding bike because it rides incredibly well (Bike Friday) and can be folded if and when needed, like when I bike to someplace to meet a friend and we drive together elsewhere in their car.
If I were going to fold it all the time I would get a Brompton and a Bike Friday Haul-a-Day since the Brompton alone would not meet my needs. My Bike Friday doesn't fold as well as the Brommie, but I only need the one bike.
Old 05-29-17, 12:44 PM
sdwphoto

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noteon
Possibly too obvious to mention, but:

Lock within line-of-sight of someplace where you can see it from inside the gym or market, and glance over every few minutes.
yes ,best advice given yet if you have a bike that must be locked up outside.If you can't see it ,then go somewhere else until you can.I have only had to lock my bike up once or twice I use a light cable that is wrapped with flexable tubes,if someone wants to steal my bike,they can cut it but it still gives time for me to them in time to rip out their throat.
Also ,depending on what folder you have get used to takeing it inside, not every bike is a Brompton,but some brands have very good folds that are not that bulky.
Also,if you ask many stores such as supermarkets,coffee shops,etc are open to allowing them in,if you do alot of riding while shopping then you know exactly where you are going and don't need to carry a lock at all.

My Brompton has been everywhere,Dentist,library, resturants,and the movies I just fold it wheel it in and nobody complains.
Old 05-29-17, 01:17 PM
George3

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sdwphoto
yes ,best advice given yet if you have a bike that must be locked up outside.If you can't see it ,then go somewhere else until you can.I have only had to lock my bike up once or twice I use a light cable that is wrapped with flexable tubes,if someone wants to steal my bike,they can cut it but it still gives time for me to them in time to rip out their throat.
Steel cables are good for towing and hoisting, but are not safe for theft prevention.
Old 05-29-17, 01:19 PM
badrad

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Ditto on bringing the bike in most places I go to. Folded up and with a cover over it to reduce dirt and debris, I have never been told I can't bring in the bike with me. In almost all places I get remarks of being the best thing to do as the reception or security will make some comment about how bad the bike theft is in that area. On occasion they do tell me not leave it in any public access way that could cause problems in case of emergencies, but have never been told to leave the bike outside. I have seen unfortunate bikers with full size bikes told to leave their bikes outside.
I do also pick my establishments that are folded bike friendly, for instances cramped restaurants or cafes that do not have enough room to bring in my bike folded, I sometimes carry a small cable lock and park directly outside within view. Although I must admit even for those brief instance where my view gets blocked or I might be distracted may make the meal or coffee less enjoyable.
Old 05-29-17, 01:30 PM
George3

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by badrad
Ditto on bringing the bike in most places I go to. Folded up and with a cover over it to reduce dirt and debris, I have never been told I can't bring in the bike with me.
You keep it rolling on the mini wheels, with the cover?

Large shops ok, but my dentist wil not be happy with it. And I try to keep him happy. Cinemas are too cramped, dance clubs won't allow it. And I know people who won't allow a folded Brompton in their house.
Old 05-29-17, 01:49 PM
badrad

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
You keep it rolling on the mini wheels, with the cover?

Large shops ok, but my dentist wil not be happy with it. And I try to keep him happy. Cinemas are too cramped, dance clubs won't allow it. And I know people who won't allow a folded Brompton in their house.
My dentist is a personal friend who we play sports together, as is my family doctor and both let me leave the bike hidden behind the receptionist. Before I travel to my friends homes, I will ask them if they will have a problem or not, and to date have not had any friends who don't. But if they don't want the bike inside, I would have another mode of travel, maybe with my beater bike and I will park outside.

Usually going to movies or clubs is with the spouse, and she isn't a biker so usually it will be transit or the 4 wheel beast. That's just the way it is.

My Dahon is only 18 lbs, a breeze to carry or roll on the rear wheel. YMMV.

Last edited by badrad; 05-29-17 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-29-17, 04:50 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Went in on the spur of a moment and in a moment of weakness to get a donut. Asked me to put my bike outside. I left and nicely told them I would not be giving them my business in the future. The shop was empty, no other customers, so it wasn't in anyone's way. Can't always make this point because sometimes you need the business. My local market now has bike lockers at 5 cents per hour so I don't need to carry my lock there - they are awesome!
Old 05-29-17, 05:17 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
I never lock my folder anywhere, but here's my advice for anyone who wants to lock a bike in a public place.

Remove and take the front wheel with you.

Why? One of the attractions of stealing a bike is that once you break the lock, you can just ride away on the stolen bike. Without a front wheel - and especially one on a folder, which is not likely to be a typical 700c size - nobody's going to bring a spare wheel to ride away into the sunset.

With everything locked but one wheel missing, if I were walking along and saw that situation, I wouldn't assume that someone had pilfered the front wheel only. So of course, you could still have parts or the entire remainder stolen, but it is a strong deterrent to a thief riding away on it. It might be enough of a disincentive to move on to the next bike.

I sell a lot of bikes to college students, and almost every one of them has an "a-ha" moment when I tell them to take their front wheel to class and lock the remainder.
Old 05-30-17, 12:32 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bargainguy
I never lock my folder anywhere, but here's my advice for anyone who wants to lock a bike in a public place.

Remove and take the front wheel with you.

Why? One of the attractions of stealing a bike is that once you break the lock, you can just ride away on the stolen bike. Without a front wheel - and especially one on a folder, which is not likely to be a typical 700c size - nobody's going to bring a spare wheel to ride away into the sunset.

With everything locked but one wheel missing, if I were walking along and saw that situation, I wouldn't assume that someone had pilfered the front wheel only. So of course, you could still have parts or the entire remainder stolen, but it is a strong deterrent to a thief riding away on it. It might be enough of a disincentive to move on to the next bike.

I sell a lot of bikes to college students, and almost every one of them has an "a-ha" moment when I tell them to take their front wheel to class and lock the remainder.
To stop them from riding away detatchable pedals is a good thing. Small and easy to take with you. I always strap them together to make a bigger bundle so I do not loose them. Also I am often worryed about the seatpost since there is a lot of seatpost theft in this area. A folders seatpost can be huge so not always practical to take it to where I am going.
Old 05-30-17, 08:23 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Samyjj
I just ordered the Expressway 1.... it looks like good quality.. does it feel right when all unfolded? I wasn't too sure of that lock mechanism. Sorry I know this is the wrong topic... can you tell me if the mechanism is tight and secure?
You might want to start a different thread to get your question answered.
Old 05-30-17, 08:52 AM
George3

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Or make your bike as ugly as you can with paint, tape, dirt, rope, litter, dirty (smelly) ragged frayed clothing, reflective material, ragged bags, etc. Combine this with a lock that is well tested for motorcycles, to attach it to a welded pole in the street.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.