Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Domane SL 5 vs Cervélo Caledonia 105

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Domane SL 5 vs Cervélo Caledonia 105

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 02:42 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I have a Cervelo C3 which is very similar but older. It's a very fun bike to ride. I love the handling. It accelerates well. I can take it on dirt roads in the mountains around here and ride it pretty fast in good conditions.
I think the C3 would be fairly similar to the current Domane from a geo standpoint, but not really much like the Caledonia. The Caledonia I think is effectively the R3 made with a bit more tire clearance.
Old 06-01-22, 03:57 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,181 Times in 2,224 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think the C3 would be fairly similar to the current Domane from a geo standpoint, but not really much like the Caledonia. The Caledonia I think is effectively the R3 made with a bit more tire clearance.

I would say the Caledonia is closer to the C3.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 06-02-22, 07:02 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by bampilot06

I would say the Caledonia is closer to the C3.
I wouldn't. From what I recall visually, the C3 had a massively long headtube. Stack and reach suggest the Caledonia is a more stretched out racier feel.

Old 06-02-22, 07:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by QXB
Both are the same price up front, but there’s a few factors that concern me with both. The Cervélo concerns me because of it’s press fit BB and lack of dealers and or support. If I purchased a Cervélo it would be from a chain store called Erick’s Bike, Board and Ski.
Originally Posted by QXB
There’s a couple Cervélo dealers within an hour from me. One is an LBS that sells in Felt, Cannondale, and Cervélo bikes. The other is Erik’s Bike Board and Ski which sells all sorts of sporting goods.
Since you have mentioned Erik's in a negative way twice, I figure I will chime in and clarify that Erik's is very much a bike store. It is a large chain, due to it being successful, but it is a bike store. Erik's bought a long time LBS in my town a few years ago and everyone stayed. Same everything, just a different name. After a year and a half they moved across the parking lot to a larger brand new building and now carry some skate boards and skis, but it is very much still a bike shop with quality products and staff that knows stuff. It has been a win for customers as there is more/better inventory in a larger building.
I would not say they sell 'all sorts of sporting goods'. They arent at all close to a Dick's, or even similar to an REI. They are real fully stocked stores with real mechanics and real quality LBS products.

...maybe the specific store you visited wasnt great, but its the company has real bike stores.
I wouldnt hesitate to buy a bike from Erik's.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-02-22, 07:47 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Since you have mentioned Erik's in a negative way twice, I figure I will chime in and clarify that Erik's is very much a bike store. It is a large chain, due to it being successful, but it is a bike store. Erik's bought a long time LBS in my town a few years ago and everyone stayed. Same everything, just a different name. After a year and a half they moved across the parking lot to a larger brand new building and now carry some skate boards and skis, but it is very much still a bike shop with quality products and staff that knows stuff. It has been a win for customers as there is more/better inventory in a larger building.
I would not say they sell 'all sorts of sporting goods'. They arent at all close to a Dick's, or even similar to an REI. They are real fully stocked stores with real mechanics and real quality LBS products.

...maybe the specific store you visited wasnt great, but its the company has real bike stores.
I wouldnt hesitate to buy a bike from Erik's.
+1

Erik's is local to me (as in, they were founded a few miles away) and although they have winter sporting goods (we have looooong winters, fer chrissake - the diversification is probably a good idea), they are, first and foremost, a bike shop - no one would mistake that upon walking through the door.
Old 06-02-22, 08:26 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
+1

Erik's is local to me (as in, they were founded a few miles away) and although they have winter sporting goods (we have looooong winters, fer chrissake - the diversification is probably a good idea), they are, first and foremost, a bike shop - no one would mistake that upon walking through the door.
I assume a bike shop in the tundra would need to, more or less, or have huge financial issues.
Old 06-02-22, 08:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I assume a bike shop in the tundra would need to, more or less, or have huge financial issues.
Not all of them but, yeah, it's not a bad idea. Some shops do a really good job of tapping in to the winter cycling market (fat bike, year-round commuters/utility, that kind of thing), but I assume that's a still a significantly smaller segment than the fair-weather riders, so not all shops would be able to count on it.
Old 06-02-22, 08:57 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Trek Domane for sure. They hit it out of the park with their latest Domane design in my opinion.
  • ISO speed for better comfort.
  • Fits up to 700 x 40 tires.
  • Threaded Bottom Bracket.
  • Downtube storage compartment (I have a tube, pump, small tools and patches in mine)
  • Internal cable routing is the best design on the market
  • The Blendr components for rear light, bike computer mount and other accessories are top notch the way they are integrated into the bike.
I'm not sure you need to change the handlebar. You could probably get away with changing the stem length or downsizing to the next smaller bike.

The only downside to the Domane when you buy it new is that it comes with garden hoses for tires. I changed mine out right away to Conti GP5000.

Last edited by prj71; 06-02-22 at 09:01 AM.
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-02-22, 11:01 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Not all of them but, yeah, it's not a bad idea. Some shops do a really good job of tapping in to the winter cycling market (fat bike, year-round commuters/utility, that kind of thing), but I assume that's a still a significantly smaller segment than the fair-weather riders, so not all shops would be able to count on it.
There’s at least one shop in Boulder with a similar setup, as well as Sun and Ski Sports, come to think of it.
Old 06-02-22, 01:28 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
The only downside to the Domane when you buy it new is that it comes with garden hoses for tires. I changed mine out right away to Conti GP5000.
Those concrete filled garden hoses were the first things to hit the compost bin (donated) . I might have put a few miles on them if they actually held air for more than a couple of days.... Whom ever installed them, must have had a liquid lunch or been gulping down the sealant like pepto.
Old 06-03-22, 10:16 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Trek Domane for sure. They hit it out of the park with their latest Domane design in my opinion.
  • ISO speed for better comfort.
  • Fits up to 700 x 40 tires.
  • Threaded Bottom Bracket.
  • Downtube storage compartment (I have a tube, pump, small tools and patches in mine)
  • Internal cable routing is the best design on the market
  • The Blendr components for rear light, bike computer mount and other accessories are top notch the way they are integrated into the bike.
I'm not sure you need to change the handlebar. You could probably get away with changing the stem length or downsizing to the next smaller bike.

What pump did you fit in the down tube and did you put it above of below the access panel? I’ve been thinking about modifying the DI2 bracket below the panel to fit a pump.
Old 06-03-22, 10:42 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,364 Times in 3,504 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
What pump did you fit in the down tube and did you put it above of below the access panel? I’ve been thinking about modifying the DI2 bracket below the panel to fit a pump.
I have a Topeka Micro Rocket in mine that sits next to the Di2 battery holder. It rattled a bit, so I put some sticky back Velcro (soft side) on it. I also carry the roll with Co2.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 06-03-22, 06:00 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I have a Topeka Micro Rocket in mine that sits next to the Di2 battery holder. It rattled a bit, so I put some sticky back Velcro (soft side) on it. I also carry the roll with Co2.
I have one amongst my pump collection. It is crazy small but easy to get high pressure. I was thinking a Lezyne HP pro may fit, take less pumping and has a hose.
Old 06-06-22, 03:30 PM
prj71

Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Lezyne Pocket Drive. I put it above the access panel and wrapped it in paper towel so that it wouldn't rattle inside the frame. Then I put the Bontrager bag in after it.
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-07-22, 08:15 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by QXB
lack of dealers and or support.
I stopped reading right ^^^there. That is a dealbreaker, period.
Old 06-07-22, 10:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I stopped reading right ^^^there. That is a dealbreaker, period.
Except if you had read further, it's been mentioned that Erik's is a dealer, and should be satisfactorily equipped to service bikes that they sell (e.g. Cervelos).
Old 07-09-22, 03:38 PM
1sp33d

Bikes: 2022 Cervelo Caledonia -- 2022 Surly Ghost Grappler

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 23 Posts
Just picked up a Caledonia 105. Test rode a Trek Emonda and thought it felt cheap and really didn't like the feel at all. The shop didn't have the Domane to test out.

The Caledonia felt great on the short test ride. Much smoother feel. Tomorrow I'll get some miles on it to get a better sense and will report back after a few rides.
Old 07-09-22, 06:19 PM
Mojo31
-------

And pics or it never happened.
Old 07-10-22, 09:39 AM
1sp33d

lol

First ride today on the Caledonia and knocked out about 16 miles. Ride is very smooth and it takes bumps like a champ. I was cruising pretty fast, it accelerates nicely, and the geometry is certainly nice and relaxed. Might be more comfortable than my old Look 566, which has been my all time favorite.

I'm no expert only a few years of experience riding but I did notice the hand vibrations from the handlebars. I plan to upgrade the handlebars, the stem, the seat and seat post sometime soon like others have recommended here. But all my bikes are giving me numb hands/wrists right now. It's probably just bc I'm so out of shape. Going to wait a few weeks to see how if things improve.
Old 07-12-22, 05:13 PM
1sp33d

Just got pic privileges. Here she is in all her beauty. Love the feel of the bike. Only thing is my left hand keeps going numb, 3-4x over a 55 min ride today. After reading others, I'm guessing I'll need to invest in the carbon handlebars and stem to fix that. Perhaps wheels and seat post too.

Likes For 1sp33d:
Old 07-12-22, 05:42 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by 1sp33d
Just got pic privileges. Here she is in all her beauty. Love the feel of the bike. Only thing is my left hand keeps going numb, 3-4x over a 55 min ride today. After reading others, I'm guessing I'll need to invest in the carbon handlebars and stem to fix that. Perhaps wheels and seat post too.
Nice bike!

I suspect it's more position - too much weight on your hands. Those tires should be big enough you're not getting vibration-induced numbness. Unless... what pressure are you running at? And what size are they?
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-12-22, 05:42 PM
Mojo31
-------

Sweet ride!

Crabon bars are nice, but will not cure the hand numbness. Lots of riding and learning not to lock up your arms and wrists will help that. The bars will absorb some of the shock though.

Save your money on the crabon stem. Get some good crabon wheels.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 07-12-22, 06:03 PM
1sp33d

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Nice bike!

I suspect it's more position - too much weight on your hands. Those tires should be big enough you're not getting vibration-induced numbness. Unless... what pressure are you running at? And what size are they?
Thanks! And thanks for the help. Tires are 30c. I believe the mechanic set them at 65/70 pressure. Max is 100. I pumped them up to 100 for the first ride and popped the front tire. Bike mechanic explained tech has changed over the last 10 years and you don't pump them up full pressure now, unless you're on a bike track (pristine surface). My Jamis I pump up to the max 120 on 23c tires. Getting fitted for the Cervelo on Friday so maybe a change in position will help.

Sweet ride!

Crabon bars are nice, but will not cure the hand numbness. Lots of riding and learning not to lock up your arms and wrists will help that. The bars will absorb some of the shock though.

Save your money on the crabon stem. Get some good crabon wheels.
Thanks! I'll wait awhile before changing things up. If the carbon wheels make the most difference I'll prob get them first if at all.
Old 07-12-22, 06:09 PM
Mojo31
-------

Thanks! And thanks for the help. Tires are 30c. I believe the mechanic set them at 65/70 pressure. Max is 100. I pumped them up to 100 for the first ride and popped the front tire. Bike mechanic explained tech has changed over the last 10 years and you don't pump them up full pressure now, unless you're on a bike track (pristine surface). My Jamis I pump up to the max 120 on 23c tires. Getting fitted for the Cervelo on Friday so maybe a change in position will help.

Thanks! I'll wait awhile before changing things up. If the carbon wheels make the most difference I'll prob get them first if at all.
The wheels won’t make any difference with respect to the numbness. Big diff is weight and stiffness which turns into acceleration. Plus, they look cool.
Old 07-12-22, 06:26 PM
1sp33d

The wheels won’t make any difference with respect to the numbness. Big diff is weight and stiffness which turns into acceleration. Plus, they look cool.
Ahh, okay I see.

Hopefully the fitting will help some. Weight loss I'll be patient with. Will give an update after a few more weeks of riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.