Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What The Bike Shop Says

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What The Bike Shop Says

Old 06-30-22, 04:19 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
What The Bike Shop Says

I have an old road bike that I would like convert to a Fix Gear bike. The only problem is the LBS. They say without a F.G. dropouts, you will never get the Rear Wheel tight enough. All I can hope for is a Single Speed. Is this true or a load that the shop is trying to sell me?
Old 06-30-22, 06:33 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I have an old road bike that I would like convert to a Fix Gear bike. The only problem is the LBS. They say without a F.G. dropouts, you will never get the Rear Wheel tight enough. All I can hope for is a Single Speed. Is this true or a load that the shop is trying to sell me?
The shop is basically correct. If you have vertical "road" dropouts, it is difficult to properly adjust the chain tension, although it is possible to get close with a "magic gear." You don't necessarily need track dropouts, you can also use an old road frame with horizontal (forward facing) dropouts. You cannot use a spring loaded chain tensioner on a fixed gear setup.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 06-30-22, 06:46 AM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 77 Posts
Yeah, if I were a LBS I wouldn't touch that project. Magic gear may be possible, but then you have to manage chain stretch. A gear that works one with a new chain may be too slack in a few hundred miles. There is also the option of building up a rear wheel using a white industries eno eccentric hub. Although, that may set you back about the cost of just getting a frame better suited for the job.
Likes For theblackbullet:
Old 06-30-22, 07:52 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Shop is right. You need horizontal dropouts to provide chain tension adjustment. A single speed can be set up with a chain tensioner, but that is because the bottom dun of chain on a single speed (with a freewheel) is not under tension, while a fixed gear bike gets tension in both top and bottom runs of chain and you are likely to rip off a chain tensioner the first time you try to slow down using back force on the pedals.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-30-22, 09:48 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts

Vertical dropout are the problem -- not the LBS. I can't imagine why you'd think they would tell you this if it wasn't true.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-30-22, 03:28 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
I see a few vertical drop out bikes for sale on eBay being sold as fixed gear and think I wouldn't want to stand on those petals, I wouldn't even set up a single speed with VD's.

There is this:

convert a road frame to a track frame - YouTube

Last edited by bykemike; 06-30-22 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-30-22, 04:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
OP, I'm not sure if you are saying your bike has vertical dropouts or (near) horizontal dropouts that open to the front. If you have horizontal dropouts, what the shop told you is BS unless you are very strong. I've been riding horizontally dropped fix gears 45 years and 120,000 miles without issue.

"rear wheel tight enough"? Did the shop mean getting the axle nut tight enough to keep the wheel from slipping? A 6" crescent wrench did that job for me just fine when I was a bike racer and stronger than I'd ever be again. Did they mean getting the chain tight enough? Simply bad! The chain should always have ~1/2" vertical play midway between chainring and cog to ensure it never goes tight.

If you have vertical dropouts, you "can" pick one of the chainring/cog combos that yields the right size to produce a chain circle with proper chain slack but that is living life the hard way. You can also buy an eccentric bottom bracket to adjust chainslack. Expensive. Cog changes might alter effective seat height. Far easier is to pass on that bike and get one with either track ends (truly horizontal and opening to the rear) or horizontal dropouts. Horizontal dropouts work and are the choice of many.
Old 06-30-22, 08:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Get a proper fixed gear frame, there are tons of them out there and plenty of companies making custom bikes and you can get them built to do whatever you need.
Old 07-03-22, 02:07 AM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are the dropouts vertical or semi horizontal? Vertical you can go singlespeed with derailleur or a Surly Singulator. If it's an old road frame with semi horizontal drops you can make it into a fixie .
Old 07-03-22, 02:08 AM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Back in 02 I asked a bike shop if they could convert an old Raleigh. They fed me this garbage that frame would crack under the pressure of a fixed wheel and advised that I buy fixed bike from them.

Last edited by sleepy; 07-03-22 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-06-22, 02:26 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
If you have vertical dropouts then your best option is a wheel built with the White Industries ENO hub. It's a fantastic hub but not cheap and nor is a complete wheel build.

https://www.whiteind.com/product/eno...ric-flip-flop/
Old 07-06-22, 05:01 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Shop should have told you the only way (which kinda is true) is with a $300 ENO laced up by their wheelbuilder. Figure spokes and rim at full retail, plus labor, $500 wheel minimum.