Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Miyata 610 - Need some advice

Old 06-30-22, 03:36 AM
SeeSeeRookRook

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Miyata 610 - Need some advice

Hello from sunny Singapore.

I am a beginner looking to step into the world of vintage bike and I will appreciate some advice.
There's a listing of this Miyata 610 at USD467. To note, it is quite difficult to source for vintage bikes in Singapore, unlike the US.
Hence, I am wondering if it's a good buy and what might be the necessary change of parts?

The seller only provided info that it is an L size frame

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-30-22, 06:33 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Based on this catalog, it appears to be a 1985. https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...logue%2085.pdf

Miyata made three "Grand Touring" bicycles and this one was in the middle. The 1000 was the top model and is much coveted by those looking for a vintage tourer. But the 610 is a very nice bike in its own right.

The price seems high, but as you pointed out, there isn't as much to choose from. Supply and demand.

What I can tell you is Miyata was a good manufacturer and my Miyata 312, a 1989 model is one of my favorite bikes. I pass by lots of more expensive bikes and often choose to ride it instead.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-30-22, 08:02 AM
SeeSeeRookRook

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Based on this catalog, it appears to be a 1985. https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...logue%2085.pdf

Miyata made three "Grand Touring" bicycles and this one was in the middle. The 1000 was the top model and is much coveted by those looking for a vintage tourer. But the 610 is a very nice bike in its own right.

The price seems high, but as you pointed out, there isn't as much to choose from. Supply and demand.

What I can tell you is Miyata was a good manufacturer and my Miyata 312, a 1989 model is one of my favorite bikes. I pass by lots of more expensive bikes and often choose to ride it instead.

Hope that helps.
It sounds like a decent bike in this case, and I am incline to this too.

May I know what are the estimated price for this bike in the US?
Old 06-30-22, 09:54 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
In my area, that would be a $250 bike. Every area is different! I recently donated one. Later models were quite a bit nicer.

Given your description of the Singapore market, I could imagine it being a much higher price. Here, vintage bikes are plentiful and customers are not.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-30-22 at 09:57 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 06-30-22, 10:54 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by SeeSeeRookRook
It sounds like a decent bike in this case, and I am incline to this too.

May I know what are the estimated price for this bike in the US?
Definitely a decent bike. WRK101 is right, here in the U.S. it is a $250.00 bike in good, rideable condition.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 06-30-22, 07:46 PM
SeeSeeRookRook

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
In my area, that would be a $250 bike. Every area is different! I recently donated one. Later models were quite a bit nicer.

Given your description of the Singapore market, I could imagine it being a much higher price. Here, vintage bikes are plentiful and customers are not.
I am certainly jealous of the abundance of vintage bikes that are being offered in the US.

Shall think again before biting the bullet for this!
Old 06-30-22, 08:09 PM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
So far no discussion on what size bike would be appropriate for you. Note: I would not buy a bike long distance without knowing exactly it’s size and what I’m looking for.
how tall are you? What is the inside length of your pants (how long are your legs)?
Old 06-30-22, 09:27 PM
SeeSeeRookRook

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowride79
So far no discussion on what size bike would be appropriate for you. Note: I would not buy a bike long distance without knowing exactly it’s size and what I’m looking for.
how tall are you? What is the inside length of your pants (how long are your legs)?
Hey thanks for looking out!

I am 6'1 (187cm) and my legs are 2'6 (80cm) long

Seller says its an L size, so i presume i should be fine with it?
Old 06-30-22, 09:57 PM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Hey thanks for looking out!

I am 6'1 (187cm) and my legs are 2'6 (80cm) long

Seller says its an L size, so i presume i should be fine with it?
Size large is not enough information to make an informed decision. Check this out in order to help you figure out what size you need. You will want to ask seller to measure stand over height. I usually also ask for seat tube ctt and top tube length ctc (ctt is center to top; ctc is center to center)
https://steel-vintage.com/bicycle-size-calculator
Old 06-30-22, 11:47 PM
SeeSeeRookRook

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowride79
Size large is not enough information to make an informed decision. Check this out in order to help you figure out what size you need. You will want to ask seller to measure stand over height. I usually also ask for seat tube ctt and top tube length ctc (ctt is center to top; ctc is center to center)
https://steel-vintage.com/bicycle-size-calculator
That is very much helpful. Hopefully the seller can provide those details too!
Old 06-30-22, 11:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I had a ~61cm 610 perhaps a year or two earlier than this one Second Edit: I'm getting my bikes confused. I think my 610 was '85 or a touch later. Got it used in '90. Rode it as a commuter through all weather and a bunch of crashes for 20 years and 27,000 miles. Now I started with a bare frame so I cannot speak for the parts. That frame is excellent. Probably butted main tubes and hi-ten stays and fork. Very well made and strong. Bike rode well. It was slightly odd in geometry. Touring, so a long head tube but medium top tube. BB was high. I still don't know why. I rode it fix gear and loved that feature. Other 610s I've seen don't seem to have that oddity.

I'd still be riding it except I destroyed it in a crash that would doom any bike. (It would be at 47,000 miles now.)

Edit: Size - I was 6'-1/2", long legs when I got it. (Legs are still long but the rest is shrinking.) So, longer legs than you, shorter torso and probably lot longer arms. Standover on mine which was a size larger than that one was a little close. I'm guessing that bike would fit you just fine with no more than perhaps a stem change. (Any old 22.2 quill stem will fit so you have thousands to choose from. Nothing quirky on those frames.)

Third edit: Those cantilever brakes are as good as you'll find. I took one ride when I got my 610 and promptly took them off and put them on my custom where they still are. I never saw those brake on other bikes but they are keepers!

Last edited by 79pmooney; 07-01-22 at 12:05 AM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-01-22, 02:30 AM
SeeSeeRookRook

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I had a ~61cm 610 perhaps a year or two earlier than this one Second Edit: I'm getting my bikes confused. I think my 610 was '85 or a touch later. Got it used in '90. Rode it as a commuter through all weather and a bunch of crashes for 20 years and 27,000 miles. Now I started with a bare frame so I cannot speak for the parts. That frame is excellent. Probably butted main tubes and hi-ten stays and fork. Very well made and strong. Bike rode well. It was slightly odd in geometry. Touring, so a long head tube but medium top tube. BB was high. I still don't know why. I rode it fix gear and loved that feature. Other 610s I've seen don't seem to have that oddity.

I'd still be riding it except I destroyed it in a crash that would doom any bike. (It would be at 47,000 miles now.)

Edit: Size - I was 6'-1/2", long legs when I got it. (Legs are still long but the rest is shrinking.) So, longer legs than you, shorter torso and probably lot longer arms. Standover on mine which was a size larger than that one was a little close. I'm guessing that bike would fit you just fine with no more than perhaps a stem change. (Any old 22.2 quill stem will fit so you have thousands to choose from. Nothing quirky on those frames.)

Third edit: Those cantilever brakes are as good as you'll find. I took one ride when I got my 610 and promptly took them off and put them on my custom where they still are. I never saw those brake on other bikes but they are keepers!
your info is very much helpful for me, let me reach out to the seller and hope for the best!
Old 07-01-22, 03:29 AM
SeeSeeRookRook

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seller said that it is a 58/59 frame!
Will that be too big for me?
As I thought I will fit around a 54-57 frame
Old 07-01-22, 06:28 AM
TugaDude

Seller said that it is a 58/59 frame!
Will that be too big for me?
As I thought I will fit around a 54-57 frame
If you are 6'1", that bike should be fine for you.
Old 07-01-22, 09:31 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I think the frame will be small for one that is your size. Great frame though, I have an '88 615 GT
Old 07-01-22, 12:14 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 217 Posts
Firstly a link to the catalog https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...logue%2085.pdf

We know it's an '85 based on that seat tube sticker, they changed every year. In '85 Miyata measured their touring bikes in inches which makes them pretty easy to size. Looking at the head tube length I know it's larger than a 21" frame and smaller than than a 25" frame so it's a 23" frame.

23" = 58.4cm, Miyata measures seat tubes from center of the BB to top of the top tube, so center to center its a little bigger than a 57cm.

At 6'1" the "will it fit" question depends on your cycling inseam length, your fitness and flexability, and your fit preference. If you carry your hight in your torso it could be a good fit, if more of your height is in your legs, it could be too small.

If it fits, I think its worth picking up. I had an '84 610 and it has clearence for 40mm tires (without fenders) and it's nice and stout. It flexes less under load than the Trek tourers, at least less than my '83 Trek 720. They have 45cm chainstays, and the canti brakes can be adjusted to reach 700c wheels (again based on my 23" '84 610).

I find that for whatever reason Miyata's tend to ride a little smaller than their stated size, but I have measurements a little outside of average. I am of average height but more of my height is in my legs than in my torso, and I tend to larger frames because of it.

Last edited by Chr0m0ly; 07-01-22 at 12:35 PM.
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 07-01-22, 12:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
Firstly a like to the catalog https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...logue%2085.pdf

We know it's an '85 based on that seat tube sticker, they changed every year. In '85 Miyata measured their touring bikes in inches which makes them pretty easy to size. Looking at the head tube length I know it's larger than a 21" frame and smaller than than a 25" frame so it's a 23" frame.

23" = 58.4cm, Miyata measures seat tubes from center of the BB to top of the top tube, so center to center its a little bigger than a 57cm.

At 6'1" the "will it fit" question depends on your cycling inseam length, your fitness and flexability, and your fit preference. If you carry your hight in your torso it could be a good fit, if more of your height is in your legs, it could be too small.

If it fits, I think its worth picking up.
The OP's height is in his torso, not legs. He should have no issues with the top tube height. I'm predicting a totally normal amount of seatpost showing. As for standover I don't know if this 610 will have a "normal" BB height or if it will have a rather high one like my 25" one. But at a full two inches shorter than mine, I don't see a problem. It could be a little short on the reach but as I said before, there are literally thousands of compatible longer stems out there.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-02-22, 02:24 AM
SeeSeeRookRook

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks everyone, I am going down to test ride it and see if it's fit for me
Old 07-02-22, 06:06 AM
SeeSeeRookRook

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've bitten the bullet and gotten it! Thanks to all of you who has provided me with your kind advice.

Now it's time for me to think of changing some parts.
Am thinking to change the brake pads and tyres since it look/feels quite old..

Let me know your thoughts.
Likes For SeeSeeRookRook:
Old 07-02-22, 07:15 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase, or welcome to the cult...
Likes For Mr. 66: