Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

For Cleat’s Sake! - an update

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-22, 06:10 PM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts

Originally posted about the rapid wear of my Shimano cleats, to the point of failure, approx. 3 months after purchasing them (along with new everything, inc. bike, on switching from running to cycling).

(https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1243808-cleat-s-sake.html)

Whilst I didn’t feel I walked excessively in them, I cut out 99% of time on my feet in my cycling shoes (essentially the walk from the bike shed at work to the changing rooms, 50m or so) and the new pair lasted…four months.

It’s the left one that failed again (and I do tend to unclip that one more often) but, as you can see in the pictures, both are pretty shot.

I bought four pairs of SPD-SL when I first wore them out and when I’ve used them all up I’ll change system to SPD.

But still baffling! They’re meant to last a couple of years, I’m going through around four pairs per year at this point! Haha

Old 05-01-22, 06:17 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Have you considered Crank Brothers pedals and MTB shoes? They may not work for your kind of riding, but that's what I use on my road bike.
Old 05-01-22, 09:28 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
It's really odd that the cleats are wearing out this fast. But your idea is good of switching to "two hole" cleats (Shimano SPD, Crank Brothers, Time ATAC, etc. etc) which can be used with shoes with bottom tread (usually called mountain bike shoes, but also touring shoes, gravel shoes, etc). A lot of these type of shoes are as good for sole stiffness and as the best road shoes, and are still highly walkable. I have Sidi Road shoes and MTB shoes and they are virtually identical except for the tread on the MTB shoes.
Old 05-01-22, 11:41 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Have you tried using cleat covers whenever you walk?
Old 05-02-22, 02:35 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
IME. spd-sl cleats wear out quickly with relatively few steps. They last quite a while if not walked on. I do now have cleat covers, they work and are convenient. I do prefer dual sided spd for most of my riding. I detect very little difference in the use of the two types, but for me, spd seems to simplify the process, and they last forever.
Old 05-02-22, 03:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
A couple of years? Maybe under ideal conditions. Maybe.
Old 05-02-22, 05:30 AM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I switched from Look pedals to Shimano road pedals 3 years ago and am using the original cleats the pedals came with. Looking at them shows no real significant wear. I don't walk around in them except if I stop for food or drink. Not sure why one would walk around in them, but that is what wears them out.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 05-02-22, 08:48 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
I purchased Shimano cleats from the store that has everything and the rubber bumpers were gone within 2 weeks.
Purchased again from my local sporting goods store and months later still have rubber bumpers.

I guess I received a “bad” set.
Can’t believe anyone would fake them.

Barry
Old 05-02-22, 09:52 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I will say...again...I've never seen anyone wear out SPD-SL cleats that fast. I've used them myself for years and I can't remember the last time I had to replace a set because they were worn that much. You're walking too much OP, or dragging your feet constantly. It's the only answer.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-02-22, 12:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Get KoolKovers, rubber covers that fit over the cleat and that you can hang from your toolbag while riding. $15 (pre-COVID). Stops walking wear and makes footing on slippery surfaces far more secure. My cleats die from wear at the pedal and that takes quite a while. Linoleum floors are much more fun to walk on and and I fon't feel the money slipping out of my wallet when I walk on concrete.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-02-22, 12:50 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
OR…..bring a pair of flip flops you can easily slip on if you’re going to be walking around a bit. They’ll fit in your jersey pockets. Or….You could just carry your shoes on that 50yd walk from the shed to the road while wearing the flip flops and then just leave them there in the grass or behind a bush until you get back.

I’ve got the same type cleats and I get a couple years out of them, and that’s riding 7-10,000 miles per year, but I almost never walk further than about 20’, from the store front to the bathroom to the ice machine and back to the bike, on a smooth tile floor. I wear flips in the garage while getting ready and put my bike shoes on just 5’ from my bike, take 3 steps and I’m riding.
Old 05-02-22, 02:50 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
Plastic cleats wear as you found out. I converted to Shimano SPD pedals and MTB shoes around 7 years ago, and that's one reason why. The SPD cleats are stainless, somewhat recessed in the MTB shoes, and they allow way more float in the pedals so safer on aging knees. I have two pairs of shoes and wear the Giro's almost all the time and after 7 years the cleats on those shoes are just now starting to give me a hassle. I've gone through two sets of cleat screws in that same time frame. I replace them before the hex head wears to the point I can't get them out. The replacement screws were free from Giro.

--
Likes For drlogik:
Old 05-02-22, 02:55 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I will say...again...I've never seen anyone wear out SPD-SL cleats that fast. I've used them myself for years and I can't remember the last time I had to replace a set because they were worn that much. You're walking too much OP, or dragging your feet constantly. It's the only answer.
Queey: Does Shimano make an all-black set? I was under the impression that there are red, blue and yellow coloring, which represent differing degrees of float.

Still wondering if OP bought fakes. I’m not a lite person and sometimes ride in areas where I have to put down my foot for lights and stop signs probably more frequently than many others and I don’t wear out mine nearly that quickly.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-02-22 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-02-22, 03:38 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
From your original thread: "The 50 metre return involves walking down three flights of stairs. Are they so fragile that that amount of walking is the problem?"

yes. Stairs absolutely demolish cleats. I always walk extremely slowly, sideways down stairs. Get cleat covers if you're walking on stairs regularly. That's why they exist, and they cost like $13

indyfabz I assume he just wore down the cleats to the point where the colored stuff is gone
Likes For smashndash:
Old 05-02-22, 04:12 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Get some other kind of pedal/cleat/shoe system and be done with it. Probably Shimano SPD (the metal kind). However little you think you're walking in those shoes, it's too much. Case closed, it's just that simple.
Old 05-02-22, 04:22 PM
Cramic

I don’t know what your problem is with not believing what people say (I had this issue with you on the thread I posted about the damaged handlebars, right?), but I think it probably reflects badly on you that you see liars everywhere.

Anyway, I took the following picture yesterday to show a distance I don’t walk in them…between where I stop outside my garage to where I keep the bike (shoes on floor on street, bike kept in the storage on left). That’s how few steps I try to take in them.

The only distance I walk in them is in the second picture, from the plastic door to the chair on the left. It’s about five steps. This is at work and I do it approx. 4 x per week.

Is all that “too much walking”?

Also the fact that I cut the vast majority of my walking out after the first time (the walk from bike shed to changing room, around 50m and three flights of stairs) and the rate of wear hasn’t substantially decreased suggests it isn’t because of walking in them, no?

​​​​​​​
Old 05-02-22, 04:46 PM
Cramic

Originally Posted by smashndash
From your original thread: "The 50 metre return involves walking down three flights of stairs. Are they so fragile that that amount of walking is the problem?"

yes. Stairs absolutely demolish cleats. I always walk extremely slowly, sideways down stairs. Get cleat covers if you're walking on stairs regularly. That's why they exist, and they cost like $13

indyfabz I assume he just wore down the cleats to the point where the colored stuff is gone
Yeh, that’s right. I originally posted the following pic in which you can see the yellow parts were almost gone after the first week!

Old 05-02-22, 04:51 PM
Cramic

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Queey: Does Shimano make an all-black set? I was under the impression that there are red, blue and yellow coloring, which represent differing degrees of float.

Still wondering if OP bought fakes. I’m not a lite person and sometimes ride in areas where I have to put down my foot for lights and stop signs probably more frequently than many others and I don’t wear out mine nearly that quickly.
Crossed my mind also, but first set were bought in the official Giant Store and the next four all bought from a reputable online store. I’ll attach a pic.

I’m also not light and have wondered about this stopping at lights, etc. Also, being new to cycling I can definitely say I’d panic a little when I first used clip-less and probably put my foot down aggressively. Thing against that is I almost always use my left foot to unclip and, whilst that one does fail first, they both appear to wear the same.
Old 05-02-22, 06:02 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Cramic
Crossed my mind also, but first set were bought in the official Giant Store and the next four all bought from a reputable online store. I’ll attach a pic.

I’m also not light and have wondered about this stopping at lights, etc. Also, being new to cycling I can definitely say I’d panic a little when I first used clip-less and probably put my foot down aggressively. Thing against that is I almost always use my left foot to unclip and, whilst that one does fail first, they both appear to wear the same.
I could tell you are a left foot out first person. So am I. Still, I’m hard on stuff and I get much more life out of a set. You must be doing something.that a lot of others aren’t. Even with all the foot downing I do I don’t think I have ever worn off the colored parts all the way.
Old 05-02-22, 07:00 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
I use cleat covers a lot but not all the time. My plastic Looks (aren't they all 'copies' now) wear out. Have to be replaced. Hassle.

So do my expensive tires & handlebar wrap. Hassle.

Old school clips and straps will wear your commuter street shoes prematurely (a bit) too.

edit: Life's a witch.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-02-22 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-02-22, 07:06 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Get some other kind of pedal/cleat/shoe system and be done with it. Probably Shimano SPD (the metal kind). However little you think you're walking in those shoes, it's too much. Case closed, it's just that simple.

IMO, that is the answer. I get off the bike a lot more than I used to. One of the reasons I now use mostly spd.
Old 05-02-22, 07:18 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
I don’t know what your problem is with not believing what people say (I had this issue with you on the thread I posted about the damaged handlebars, right?), but I think it probably reflects badly on you that you see liars everywhere.

Anyway, I took the following picture yesterday to show a distance I don’t walk in them…between where I stop outside my garage to where I keep the bike (shoes on floor on street, bike kept in the storage on left). That’s how few steps I try to take in them.

The only distance I walk in them is in the second picture, from the plastic door to the chair on the left. It’s about five steps. This is at work and I do it approx. 4 x per week.

Is all that “too much walking”?

Also the fact that I cut the vast majority of my walking out after the first time (the walk from bike shed to changing room, around 50m and three flights of stairs) and the rate of wear hasn’t substantially decreased suggests it isn’t because of walking in them, no?
Because it doesn't take much to see what's happening in your case. There is ONLY one answer. If you're wearing the yellow pads off the cleats it's because you're walking too much/dragging your feet. What else would cause this? Little aliens that sneak into your house at night and chew on your cleats? At least at this point (after seeing a few of the last posts) you've come to terms w/ what everyone else is posting and know that you are the cause of the wear.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-02-22, 07:43 PM
Cramic

Because it doesn't take much to see what's happening in your case. There is ONLY one answer. If you're wearing the yellow pads off the cleats it's because you're walking too much/dragging your feet. What else would cause this? Little aliens that sneak into your house at night and chew on your cleats? At least at this point (after seeing a few of the last posts) you've come to terms w/ what everyone else is posting and know that you are the cause of the wear.
Obviously it’s me, where have I ever said otherwise? I deny suggestions that they’re even knockoffs.

I wondered if others, particularly newbies, have had similar wear and considered whether clipping in and out as a beginner causes the wear. Or stepping down at lights, but then I’d expect the problem to predominantly affect my left cleat.

I walk exactly as much in them as I say, perhaps ten steps per day. I also reduced the amount I did walk in them, by more than 90%, and guess what? Pretty much the exact same wear. Can you explain that, Einstein?

But yeh, you clearly know the problem. I’m lying about how much I walk in them, for ***** and giggles, and come and post the pics on here after I’ve ran a marathon in them 🙄
Old 05-02-22, 07:44 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
The main problem I see in this thread is the price of ShatmaNo cleats.
Replacement plastic Look compatible cleats can be had for $5. China, but they work fine.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-02-22 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-02-22, 07:51 PM
Cramic

Originally Posted by Wildwood
The main problem I see in this thread is the price of ****maNo cleats.
Replacement plastic Look compatible cleats can be had for $5. China, but they work fine.
Yeh, good suggestion. I don’t particularly mind having to replace them, just a puzzle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.