Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Buy the 1030+ or wait?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Buy the 1030+ or wait?

Old 05-20-22, 09:59 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Buy the 1030+ or wait?

The Edge 1030+ is on sale right now. Tempting to buy a new computer as my 520 is on its last legs. BUT...I keep thinking an Edge 540 and/or 1040 is just around the corner.

So. Buy a new, yet older technology(?) now? Or wait potentially a year for the new Edge computers to be released.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 05-20-22, 10:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6174 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If you have to have the bleeding Edge technology and are willing to put up with all the warts from unforeseen issues that require software updates, then by all means wait till Garmin releases something new.

However for most people the Garmin 1030 plus is well proven and reliable. And you can get it right now.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-20-22, 10:18 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
The Edge 1030+ is on sale right now. Tempting to buy a new computer as my 520 is on its last legs. BUT...I keep thinking an Edge 540 and/or 1040 is just around the corner.

So. Buy a new, yet older technology(?) now? Or wait potentially a year for the new Edge computers to be released.

Decisions, decisions...
Usually if they're dropping the price to clear the current generation out, the new ones are a lot closer than a year. My crystal ball is broken so I don't know anything.
Old 05-20-22, 10:30 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you have to have the bleeding Edge technology
I see what you did there.
Old 05-20-22, 10:57 AM
Seattle Forrest

$150 off is 25%, a pretty good deal. It looks like REI has the same discount. The 130, 530, and 830 aren't on sale, I would think they would refresh the entire series at the same time?

Two clarifying questions for @NoWhammies:

Every new generation of watch has a higher price tag then the previous one. I don't know if that's the case with Edge computers? If so what are you willing to shell out for a 1040?

What kinds of improvements in a 1040 would be worth the $$ considering the current sale?
Old 05-20-22, 01:55 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
It might be taxing to wait for the 1040.

And while the hardware might be available next month, it still might be a year until Garmin gets a stable software release out.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-20-22, 02:15 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
$150 off is 25%, a pretty good deal. It looks like REI has the same discount. The 130, 530, and 830 aren't on sale, I would think they would refresh the entire series at the same time?

Two clarifying questions for @NoWhammies:

Every new generation of watch has a higher price tag then the previous one. I don't know if that's the case with Edge computers? If so what are you willing to shell out for a 1040?

What kinds of improvements in a 1040 would be worth the $$ considering the current sale?
The Plus is a pretty refined product. I cannot foresee what Garmin could add to the OS to charge more than the $700 they had the 1030 Plus at. Thus I think $450 is a very good buy.
Old 05-20-22, 02:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

A better display would be wonderful. 🙂
Old 05-20-22, 06:03 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Garmin always seems to have some kind of sale around Memorial day on some of their cycling products. I got my 1030+ last year in May for $499 ($100 off). I noticed that this year the 515 was also on sale for $149 ($50) off now on the Garmin website.
Old 05-20-22, 06:24 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Also give a good look at a Hammerhead Karoo 2. Its a very polished and usable device. Arguably does navigation and TBT better than Garmin, certainly has nicer screens and maps. Doesn't have the battery life but thats sometimes only an issue if doing double centuries or touring someplace where you cannot charge and yiu can always run it on a battery stick. They are regularly updating, much better at bug fixes and updates than Garmin. The screen is only marginally smaller than a 1030.
Old 05-20-22, 07:35 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Also give a good look at a Hammerhead Karoo 2. Its a very polished and usable device. Arguably does navigation and TBT better than Garmin, certainly has nicer screens and maps. Doesn't have the battery life but thats sometimes only an issue if doing double centuries or touring someplace where you cannot charge and yiu can always run it on a battery stick. They are regularly updating, much better at bug fixes and updates than Garmin. The screen is only marginally smaller than a 1030.
well I have both and yes and no. not sure on the navigation its been awhile since I used the garmin for its and I only used the Karoo a few times both seemed fine.
but the Karoo has more blatant bugs. like the temp has been off since I have had it. It used to calibrate the altitude on a regular basis but now after several months it wont and the altitude will drift up or down.
it can reboot in the middle of the ride. they have been working on that but I still have it. for me this was a recent bug. it will lose connection with my phone so I don't see notifications. works well with the garmin radar but if you shut it off without ending a ride it will not turn the garmin off or on.
its slower than molasses booting up. I mean it takes minutes to do so then more time to get a ride going. if I go into a store I take the gps and the radar with me I have to turn off the Karoo or the radar goes off all the time in my pocket then I have to wait for it to boot up again and start the ride. this is a real announce. the garmin I hit stop and the power button and I am done then repeat to get going again. The screen is nicer and brighter than the garmin and the usb c a lot bette. Plus it does not turn on when I charge it like the gamin will. Its as loud as the 1030+ unlike most garmins.
The bugs on the Karoo are Moree blatant then the garmin the garmin is more stable. It's easier to add maps to the Karoo.
But the Karoo wont calculate calories burned and just recently headmost of your ride info on the web app.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 05-20-22 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-20-22, 08:37 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

1. No. The only reason I am thinking of the 1030+ now is because one sale.
2. I am not sure TBH. Again, I am considering the 1030+ because a) the item is on sale and b) my eyesight is not what it used to be, so I am thinking the larger display would be beneficial.

Also give a good look at a Hammerhead Karoo 2. Its a very polished and usable device. Arguably does navigation and TBT better than Garmin, certainly has nicer screens and maps.
Thanks for the suggestion, but my life is pretty much ALL with Garmin. Just like Apple sucks you into their ecosystem so does Garmin. Or at least for me they did.

Originally Posted by Iride01
If you have to have the bleeding Edge technology and are willing to put up with all the warts from unforeseen issues that require software updates, then by all means wait till Garmin releases something new.

However for most people the Garmin 1030 plus is well proven and reliable. And you can get it right now.
I do not think I need bleeding edge technology. An upgrade to USB-C would be nice. But as I look around my desk I see loads of micro-USB connections. And I am not loading maps and whatnot onto my 520 regularly. So a fast connection is not a high priority. At least not right now.

And you bring up a good point about beta testing all of the issues for the latest release from Garmin. If memory serves there were some issues with the 530 when it was first released.

Usually if they're dropping the price to clear the current generation out, the new ones are a lot closer than a year. My crystal ball is broken so I don't know anything.
Thus my worry. I'll shell out the bucks for the 1030+ and then Garmin will release the 540/1040 with some skookum feature that is leaps and bounds above that is currently being offered. What that feature IS though, I have no idea.
Old 05-20-22, 08:55 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
well I have both and yes and no. not sure on the navigation its been awhile since I used the garmin for its and I only used the Karoo a few times both seemed fine.
but the Karoo has more blatant bugs. like the temp has been off since I have had it. It used to calibrate the altitude on a regular basis but now after several months it wont and the altitude will drift up or down.
it can reboot in the middle of the ride. they have been working on that but I still have it. for me this was a recent bug. it will lose connection with my phone so I don't see notifications. works well with the garmin radar but if you shut it off without ending a ride it will not turn the garmin off or on.
its slower than molasses booting up. I mean it takes minutes to do so then more time to get a ride going. if I go into a store I take the gps and the radar with me I have to turn off the Karoo or the radar goes off all the time in my pocket then I have to wait for it to boot up again and start the ride. this is a real announce. the garmin I hit stop and the power button and I am done then repeat to get going again. The screen is nicer and brighter than the garmin and the usb c a lot bette. Plus it does not turn on when I charge it like the gamin will. Its as loud as the 1030+ unlike most garmins.
The bugs on the Karoo are Moree blatant then the garmin the garmin is more stable. It's easier to add maps to the Karoo.
But the Karoo wont calculate calories burned and just recently headmost of your ride info on the web app.

All valid issues. One thing I do see is HH seems to make more of an effort to find and fix really glaring bugs. Faster then Garmin in most respects. And I wouldn't place much faith in ANYBODYS methods to calculate calories burned, I mean its a huge guessing game that doesnt have any basis in reality as far as Ive seen.
Old 05-20-22, 09:01 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
All valid issues. One thing I do see is HH seems to make more of an effort to find and fix really glaring bugs. Faster then Garmin in most respects. And I wouldn't place much faith in ANYBODYS methods to calculate calories burned, I mean its a huge guessing game that doesnt have any basis in reality as far as Ive seen.
yes but the big bugs they have not really nailed. but they don't vet their software as well either so they make different bugs. I Know calories calculation is not accurate but at least give an idea. My bosch bike has a built in watt meter and the gram and it are usually pretty close on calories. but if left to itself strava goes way overboard the same with apple. I just want an idea how much I have to eat after a ride.
love the screen and the format but the boot tike is crazy slow my iPhone is faster. for my commuting and such it just drives me nuts how slow it is. but setup is so practical compared to garmin the touch screen is better too.
Old 05-20-22, 10:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Thus my worry. I'll shell out the bucks for the 1030+ and then Garmin will release the 540/1040 with some skookum feature that is leaps and bounds above that is currently being offered. What that feature IS though, I have no idea.
I can't remember the watch you have? Fenix 7 series have a few new features that don't seem to have made it into the 1030+, like "stamina" which is like a countdown until it thinks you'll bonk. If you have a newer watch you might have it get those features anyway?
Old 05-20-22, 10:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

This thread got my attention. I've been wanting a bike computer, but not in a hurry. I have a 130 and a Fenix 7. I would like a "Platform Center Offset" display, and maps would be of use to me sometimes. I value touch screen, especially for maps. This is a good price and I'll use the thing for years. On the other hand a friend offered to give me his 520+. That fits in my stem, I would have to buy this mount for the 1030+.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-21-22, 10:31 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
yes but the big bugs they have not really nailed. but they don't vet their software as well either so they make different bugs. I Know calories calculation is not accurate but at least give an idea. My bosch bike has a built in watt meter and the gram and it are usually pretty close on calories. but if left to itself strava goes way overboard the same with apple. I just want an idea how much I have to eat after a ride.
love the screen and the format but the boot tike is crazy slow my iPhone is faster. for my commuting and such it just drives me nuts how slow it is. but setup is so practical compared to garmin the touch screen is better too.
Interesting. My boot time is longer than my 1030, but not terrible and it finds satellites quickly. By the time its booted, its ready to roll. Ive learned to time power up in my basement and by the time Im outside and ready to roll the units running.

Cant say its massivly better than a Garmin, though screen, map and displays are of better quality. One thing I dislike about HH is no BT connection for downloads or uploads. Having to be WiFi, Hotspot or SIM card connected is a PITA to me. The Garmin method of BT to a phone app that has cell data is so much easier to deal with, IME. As example I use Garmin LiveTrack all the time, it FINALLY is running reliably. HH pretty much needs a SiM card for this and I never had any luck getting a SIM card working, finally gave up. Thus I still use my 1030 about 50% of the time as it works reliably,

For $450, a 1030 Plus is a very good deal.
Old 05-21-22, 10:52 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
It might be taxing to wait for the 1040..
Old 05-21-22, 12:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Here are leaked 1040 photos and some details about its feature set.
https://the5krunner.com/2022/05/21/g...-first-images/

Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-21-22, 01:03 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
People seem to really like their 1030+, as opposed to people that have 1030's where the opinions are more mixed. I probably am not in the market for a gps that costs as much as the 1040 will, but the 1030+ is attractive. I doubt I will buy one because my 830 is meeting my needs. It came out after the 1030, and has some improvements over it.
Old 05-21-22, 02:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Can the 1030+ display a chart of your power during a ride like in the first 1040 screenshot above?
Old 05-21-22, 04:29 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Here are leaked 1040 photos and some details about its feature set.
https://the5krunner.com/2022/05/21/g...-first-images/

That thing is longer than my

Edge 530.
Old 05-21-22, 07:50 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
That thing is longer than my

Edge 530.
The suspense was killing me!
Old 05-22-22, 08:14 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I may be off base on this but the photos of the 1040 screens displays data that the 1030 Plus already displays, but in a less graphical way. I suspect a firmware update to the 1030 Plus would enable it to display the data as it appears in the 1040 photos. Hopefully, I am right.
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 05-22-22, 11:37 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by oldwinger14
I may be off base on this but the photos of the 1040 screens displays data that the 1030 Plus already displays, but in a less graphical way. I suspect a firmware update to the 1030 Plus would enable it to display the data as it appears in the 1040 photos. Hopefully, I am right.
How do you get the 1030+ to show stamina/potential?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.