Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 09:28 AM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by buck mulligan
Ooooh, pretty! I've got to say, though - as much as I admire your 3-speeds, it was that '76 Grand Prix that caught my eye. You see, my first serious bike was a '76 Grand Prix....
I bought the Grand Prix from the original owner. Well, actually his wife sold me the bike. She posted it on Craigslist in 2007. On my way to buy it, I called her to let her know I'd be there soon and she told me her husband wouldn't let her sell it. The next year, she e-mailed me asking if I wanted the bike. I called her back and said I did. Went to pick it up 2 days later and met her and the husband. I asked who I should give the money to and the husband told me to pay his wife. The GP is in excellent condition; afterall it was hanging in their garage for twenty years!
Old 03-06-10, 03:08 PM
AL NZ

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I've just bought a Raleigh 23" framed Roadster in the dark green, 4 speed Sturmey hub, rim brakes (not rod), 26" wheels. Full chain case, "the all-steel bicycle" transfers, and full lighting kit including rear dynohub and the battery tube thingy on the seat tube.
Got it on ebay for the cost of a new B73 - 77 pounds Stirling. And it comes with a nicely-aged B73.
It has an ugly more-modern rear light on it, but luckily I recently bought some fantastic NOS Sturmey lights with the wiring loom for a rear dynohub, so perfect swap.

So I am happy

I now need to rationalise my collection of bicycles in the UK before going home to NZ in July.
I need to sell a 60s BSA 3 speed - great little bike but too small for me. Everything on it works.
I need to shed the Raleigh Trent Tourist. It has front dynohub, 3 speed which sticks and I will need to clean the hub and get it going before selling.
And I will take the newly-acquired green Raleigh home as my example of the quintessential British bike.
And it will sit beside my much older BSA 28" wheeler pathracer replica

And I had better stop buying bikes...
...although there is this lovely Carlton mixte 3 speed for sale at home..
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=275186927

Last edited by AL NZ; 03-06-10 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-06-10, 11:08 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by AL NZ
I've just bought a Raleigh 23" framed Roadster in the dark green, 4 speed Sturmey hub, rim brakes (not rod), 26" wheels. Full chain case, "the all-steel bicycle" transfers, and full lighting kit including rear dynohub and the battery tube thingy on the seat tube.
Got it on ebay for the cost of a new B73 - 77 pounds Stirling. And it comes with a nicely-aged B73.
It has an ugly more-modern rear light on it, but luckily I recently bought some fantastic NOS Sturmey lights with the wiring loom for a rear dynohub, so perfect swap.

So I am happy

I now need to rationalise my collection of bicycles in the UK before going home to NZ in July.
I need to sell a 60s BSA 3 speed - great little bike but too small for me. Everything on it works.
I need to shed the Raleigh Trent Tourist. It has front dynohub, 3 speed which sticks and I will need to clean the hub and get it going before selling.
And I will take the newly-acquired green Raleigh home as my example of the quintessential British bike.
And it will sit beside my much older BSA 28" wheeler pathracer replica

And I had better stop buying bikes...
...although there is this lovely Carlton mixte 3 speed for sale at home..
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=275186927
Where are the pictures of this excellent bicycle?
Old 03-07-10, 09:25 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 655 Times in 348 Posts
What about standing on the pedals with an AW? I know everyone says not to do it, but I've always assumed that that has to do with the danger of slipping into the "neutral" position between 2 and 3. If so, that suggests to me that it should be fairly safe to stand in 1, which of course is the gear in which you'd be most likely to need extra oomph. Would that in fact be okay? I tend not to stand even in 1, but maybe I'm being too cautious.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 03-07-10, 03:22 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
What about standing on the pedals with an AW? I know everyone says not to do it, but I've always assumed that that has to do with the danger of slipping into the "neutral" position between 2 and 3. If so, that suggests to me that it should be fairly safe to stand in 1, which of course is the gear in which you'd be most likely to need extra oomph. Would that in fact be okay? I tend not to stand even in 1, but maybe I'm being too cautious.
I stand in 1 all the time. I believe it only can go neutral in 2 or 3. My brother has stitches to prove it, and I have the bike with a replacement fork and crank arm...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-08-10, 12:27 AM
onetwentyeight 
blah

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
How did I never post in this thread?

Old 03-08-10, 09:23 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I stand in 1 all the time. I believe it only can go neutral in 2 or 3. My brother has stitches to prove it, and I have the bike with a replacement fork and crank arm...

Aaron
I live dangerously. I stand in all gears.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-08-10, 09:53 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc

Aaron
I really think that if an AW is set up properly it will not skip under normal conditions and even under high pedaling loads but when you stand up and hammer the pedals you get a little frame flex and this is probably enough to change the cable tension enough to cause it to slip.

On my old 3 speed road bike I managed to get it up to 56 kmh on a flat run and got it to skip a little in 3rd when I tried to push the bike up to 60 kmh... and I was seated.

I have never had any of my other three speeds skip gears on me... making sure that everything is set up properly and that the shifter is working smoothly and does not hang between gear positions.

One should check the cable tension regularly... my 10 year old likes to jump curbs on her three speed and has knocked her wheel out of place by just enough to throw off her shifting. Better lock washers solved this issue and I have told her she needs to be a little nicer to her bike.
Likes For Sixty Fiver:
Old 03-08-10, 10:00 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by onetwentyeight
How did I never post in this thread?
I never, ever get tired of seeing that bike.

Old 03-08-10, 10:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I've never seen it before. onetwentyeight, tell us about it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-08-10, 10:34 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I've come to the realization that 3 speeds are inherently noisy. I just went back to the original Brooks vinyl saddle on the Phillips - even after a liberal coating of dry lube, the thing squeaks at every pedal revolution and bump, the rear fender rattles itself loose every 50-100 miles, and the shift lever drives me so unbelievably insane with it's rattling that it's just second nature to stick my hand under it to keep it still while riding.

Speaking of which, is there any way to silence the springs on an old mattress saddle, or to tighten the shifter enough so that the lever doesn't rattle?
Old 03-08-10, 10:49 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

You ought to be able to quiet all of those noises. I don't remember ever hearing a shifter rattling. You may do well to replace it. Or maybe you can take it apart and fashion some sort of plastic bushing in the most rattly area.

Spray lubricant will get rid of a squeaky saddle.

Old 03-08-10, 11:05 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by mickey85
I've come to the realization that 3 speeds are inherently noisy.
I love the fact my old 3 speeds have alwaus been very quiet running bikes with nothing but a quiet tick tick tick as we roll along.
Likes For Sixty Fiver:
Old 03-08-10, 12:16 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Speaking of which, is there any way to silence the springs on an old mattress saddle, or to tighten the shifter enough so that the lever doesn't rattle?
A little WD-40 on the springs often will suffice to quiet them down. And the shift lever housing is riveted together. Try re-peening the rivets to tighten it up.
Old 03-08-10, 12:44 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
How does one re-peen the rivets? Take a hammer and punch to them?
Old 03-08-10, 09:18 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
How does one re-peen the rivets? Take a hammer and punch to them?
Yup, exactly.
Old 03-08-10, 09:52 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 655 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I really think that if an AW is set up properly it will not skip under normal conditions and even under high pedaling loads but when you stand up and hammer the pedals you get a little frame flex and this is probably enough to change the cable tension enough to cause it to slip.

On my old 3 speed road bike I managed to get it up to 56 kmh on a flat run and got it to skip a little in 3rd when I tried to push the bike up to 60 kmh... and I was seated.

I have never had any of my other three speeds skip gears on me... making sure that everything is set up properly and that the shifter is working smoothly and does not hang between gear positions.

One should check the cable tension regularly... my 10 year old likes to jump curbs on her three speed and has knocked her wheel out of place by just enough to throw off her shifting. Better lock washers solved this issue and I have told her she needs to be a little nicer to her bike.
It sounds like I don't need to worry so much about standing, at least in low gear. In any case, I'm turning 56 in a couple of months, so my testicles no longer seem quite as indispensable as they once did.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 03-08-10, 10:23 PM
onetwentyeight 
blah

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've never seen it before. onetwentyeight, tell us about it.
I was told when I bought it it was a Flyer from the mid 40s previously owned by a British olympian who used it as a training bike. I had it set up as a regular track bike for a while, but eventually got bored with that set up as I have another track bike i prefer. The geometry is classic track, but I switched from 27" rims to 700c to give me clearance for 700x32 dry condition cross tires (Challenge Grifo). I put on Mafac Racer centerpulls for braking, and found a mismatched titan stem and bar combo. The levers are mystery french ones from a friend. The rear hub is a sturmey archer ASC, which is the original 3 speed fixed gear hub. It's pretty solid, I've done some hard rides on it (off road, even) and it's held up pretty well. Im a bit concerned about its longevity as such a rare item that I mostly use it for strolling around town. its a little twitchy but a fun bike for zipping around the city.

I have more pictures here, including my modified campy cable guides and other nerdy touches. The only changes I've made since the photos is replace the toe straps with some binda extras and replaced the front wheel with a high flange campy track hub laced to an MA2, as I wanted the generator hub for my Jack Taylor Tour of Britain.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/onetwen...7604107677034/

Last edited by onetwentyeight; 03-08-10 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-08-10, 10:49 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That's a really pretty bike and I'd love to have it myself (or at least just take it for a spin around the block), but with the super steep drop of the stem, that has got to be the weirdest looking bar/stem combo I've ever seen.
Old 03-08-10, 11:39 PM
onetwentyeight 
blah

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
thank you. Ive tilted the bars down a little since those photos. it feels a lot like an old motorcycle cockpit, low, but with a square wrist position. the frame is a hair big for me so between the back swept bars, moderate saddle height, and the dropped stem I'm pretty comfy. the bike is certainly a weird mashup between vintage race and townie, the cockpit falls in line with the rest. I make no pretense that this is a "proper" build by any means, just a mish mash of things I like that work well together.

this bike let me score the above at the 2008 santa cruz wildcat... it was a prize for speed, not aesthetics. ~30+ miles of both on and off road... The oldest bike by decades.

Last edited by onetwentyeight; 03-08-10 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-09-10, 05:41 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That's awesome!
Old 03-09-10, 05:56 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver

I am pretty sure that is what happened to my brother. The bike is the old beat up Sports that I have, he was on his way home from work late at night and was probably really rolling. It happened when he was in college and he was a strong rider, and not strong on bike maintenance.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-09-10, 11:01 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
It sounds like I don't need to worry so much about standing, at least in low gear. In any case, I'm turning 56 in a couple of months, so my testicles no longer seem quite as indispensable as they once did.
You could get one of these: https://www.taipeitradeshows.com.tw/p...7&docno=106843
Old 03-10-10, 12:53 AM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co

Does Brookes make a relaxed testicle model like that yet?
Old 03-10-10, 07:59 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

onetwentyeight, that is one heck of a bike. Those levers are Mafac. I had them. They are excellent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.