Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Removable Studs (is it a thing?)

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22, 04:58 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

Where I live, winter is hit or miss. I would hate to get a fatbike and have winters with very little snow and this good conditions for a fatbike. I was wondering if there are tires where you can screw in the studs for winter, and remove them in the spring for occasional trail rides, then back in the winter...
Old 10-07-22, 06:38 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
I haven't heard of any socketed studs on a bike tire, or car tire. Is there such a thing on a car tire? I'd imagine there would be a large weight penalty for sockets plus studs on a bike tire. I know you can certainly remove studs on a bike tire and replace them. Removing them, then riding, then re-installing would require thoroughly cleaning out each stud seat in the tire before re-installing the stud. I ride studs in the winter here on a regular non-fat MTN bike.
Old 10-07-22, 09:14 AM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
Having manually installed a complete set of studs in a pair of tires, I can say that it's a tedious process. I would much prefer to have two sets of tires, one with studs, and one without. The time savings would be well worth the cost of extra tires.

To answer your question, studs for bicycle tires do not screw in: they have a flange that fits into sort of a t-shaped socket. The tool used to insert them should also be able to remove them, but it requires some effort to overcome the forces of the rubber that hold the studs in place in the pockets.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 10-07-22, 09:22 AM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
I just tried removing a stud from a 45NRTH Dillinger 5 using the 45NRTH stud insertion tool, and it came out easily enough, simply prying it to the side. I'd hate to do it 516 times, though.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 10-16-22, 01:16 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 416 Posts
There are Grip Studs that can be added to non-studded tires. They are pricey and a bunch of work. If you are just cruising around, they are good on ice.
https://gripstuds.com
Old 10-16-22, 08:20 PM
Ridinglurker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You can re-install studs .. but once dirt is in the stud pockets, they may not stay in well. Besides, it would be a pain to do.

I only install studs in new and clean tires. At 216 studs per tire, that is all I ever want to do.

I just have 2 sets of tires I swap seasonally. If you have money, a separate winter wheel set is even better.
Old 10-19-22, 06:56 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
Where I live, winter is hit or miss. I would hate to get a fatbike and have winters with very little snow and this good conditions for a fatbike. I was wondering if there are tires where you can screw in the studs for winter, and remove them in the spring for occasional trail rides, then back in the winter...
I don't know of tires that have quick/easy studs to add/remove. I ride Dillinger studded tires for winter, and in Minnesota, we have many months of studded tire conditions every year. So I have summer and winter tires for my Pugsley. The only reason for studded tires is ice, if your winters don't include weeks (or months) of icy trails/roads, I'd recommend a good snow tire (Dillinger w/o studs or Jumbo Jim).

Here's a video clip I made replacing worn studs on Dillinger 4 tires (you can see this would take a long time for two tires):