Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Absolutely LOVING my new bike setup

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 12-27-22, 09:27 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts

So - I upgraded, big time.

I bought a cheap, used Gravity Bullseye Monster last year. I played with a few upgrades, especially the front tire (was a Vee Mission - those things are absolutely useless, and a swap to a Kenda Juggernaut was night and day)

Over the summer I bought a used RSD Mayor v3. I bought some used Jumbo Jim 26x4.8 tires, and sold the Juggernauts that it came with, went tubeless - saved 4 lbs on the bike compared to the narrower Juggernauts with tubes, which was already much lighter than my old bike.

This floats on spots the old bike didn't, it corners better, rolls faster, brakes better grips better on climbs.... My only complaint is the NX drivetrain is actually worse than the old 2x8 Altus I had on the other bike, but I've got parts bin Shimano stuff I can upgrade with if I can't sort it out.
Likes For Viich:
Old 01-04-23, 05:18 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Old 01-04-23, 05:21 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I’ve been running 1x11 NX for 4 years in my fatbike in pretty brutal conditions and its been fine for me. It is no frills and heavy, but very functional.
Old 01-06-23, 06:14 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I’ve been running 1x11 NX for 4 years in my fatbike in pretty brutal conditions and its been fine for me. It is no frills and heavy, but very functional.
Huh, I'll have to have another go at adjusting it. I'm running a Rival shifter with GX derailleur on my CX bike (that I use for road as well) so not completely new to SRAM. I'm getting auto-shifting in several gears, and can't seem to get rid of it.
Old 01-06-23, 06:18 PM
Viich
Hack

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Old 01-10-23, 09:09 PM
pipeliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
The 11 speed Deore drivetrain will work on a HG hub (which is what I think you have) and is a bargain on Ebay last time I bought one. Far superior to NX for shifting and adjustment. You would need a cassette, der and shifter.
Old 01-10-23, 09:51 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I believe Deore 11 speed has an advantage over NX in that it has a wider gearing range.
Old 01-13-23, 08:02 AM
Viich
Hack

I've got a Deore 12sp derailleur and shifter sitting around... going to have to figure out whether there's a way to make that work or not. I'm not up on MTB drivetrains, got this in my buying/selling/trading of parts.