Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Hitch Rack for Fatbike

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Hitch Rack for Fatbike

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-23, 10:26 AM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
Hitch Rack for Fatbike

For a few years, I've been using a Yakima SingleSpeed hitch rack. It has worked well for me. It worked on my previous fatbike, but it's not quite big enough to accommodate the 27.5" x 4.5" wheels/tires on the fatbike I've just built. The rear ratchet strap has only one tooth of engagement, and the front clamp wouldn't go on until I let the air out of the tire (and that was before I installed studs). Does anyone have recommendations for hitch racks they know work for such a bike? I have a Class I (1-1/4" square) receiver on my car, so I would need a rack that works with it.
Old 02-01-23, 10:53 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by UnCruel
For a few years, I've been using a Yakima SingleSpeed hitch rack. It has worked well for me. It worked on my previous fatbike, but it's not quite big enough to accommodate the 27.5" x 4.5" wheels/tires on the fatbike I've just built. The rear ratchet strap has only one tooth of engagement, and the front clamp wouldn't go on until I let the air out of the tire (and that was before I installed studs). Does anyone have recommendations for hitch racks they know work for such a bike? I have a Class I (1-1/4" square) receiver on my car, so I would need a rack that works with it.
I'm not running the same size tires/wheels (I'm on 26x4), but the Kuat NV 2.0 has the option for strap extensions (see the extra length of strap hanging below the fatbike's rear wheel) and extra Velcro straps. Also recommend looking at 1UP, I know a lot of folks with fatbikes use them.

Old 02-01-23, 12:37 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
if you're not opposed to hanging it & only carry 1 bike

Allen Sports 2-Bike Hitch Racks for 1 1/4 in. and 2 in. Hitch
Old 02-01-23, 02:03 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
I use the 1up rack - I'd have to say that I will have to do a little bit of custom work to make anything bigger than my current tires fit, but I'm running 26x4.8" Jumbo Jims
Old 02-01-23, 05:03 PM
Airfehr

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
Farly 27.5 x 4.5 rider here. The Thule T2 Classic works but just barely. I removed the stop for the hook to be able to slide it down the arm enough to clear the front tire. It's just a screw with a plastic cap. Otherwise it fits great. Can't say I'm not impressed with the quality but it was the least expensive option for me. And zero issues over a couple years. The ease to remove a carrier is a plus. I run it as a single 80% of the time.

Last edited by Airfehr; 02-01-23 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-01-23, 11:55 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Can you use a longer strap (safely)? If you can mange to use a ratchet strap, could save you time and a lot of coin
Old 02-02-23, 10:07 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
I use the 1up rack - I'd have to say that I will have to do a little bit of custom work to make anything bigger than my current tires fit, but I'm running 26x4.8" Jumbo Jims
I bought the 1up Fat Tire spacer kit for my 1up rack.My tires fill it right up.
Old 02-02-23, 01:15 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Can you use a longer strap (safely)? If you can mange to use a ratchet strap, could save you time and a lot of coin
Yes, I could. It wouldn't have to be more complicated than a bit of rope, really. It's job is to keep the rear end of the bike from falling off the rack when driving over bumps.

It's the clamp at the front end that is the real blocker.
Old 02-02-23, 03:25 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Originally Posted by Gyro
I bought the 1up Fat Tire spacer kit for my 1up rack.My tires fill it right up.
Yea, that's what I'm saying. But the 1up rack is so simple it would be easy enough to get longer bolts, a couple washers, and build it wider to fit 5"+ if I wanted to go bigger than my 4.8"
Old 02-03-23, 07:39 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
Yea, that's what I'm saying. But the 1up rack is so simple it would be easy enough to get longer bolts, a couple washers, and build it wider to fit 5"+ if I wanted to go bigger than my 4.8"
There is another problem. My 25mm road bike tires aren't as secure in the rack as they were. I called 1up and they suggested to get their wheel saver gizmo and attach it to the front tire That should do the trick, I'd hope they would know.
Old 02-03-23, 10:54 AM
Viich
Hack

Originally Posted by Gyro
There is another problem. My 25mm road bike tires aren't as secure in the rack as they were. I called 1up and they suggested to get their wheel saver gizmo and attach it to the front tire That should do the trick, I'd hope they would know.
Wheel saver or wheel stop would do the trick, I think. I haven't had an issue, but the smallest tires I've used on the 1UP with the fat adapter are 28mm.