Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 09:57 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Me and Mrs. got to hang with racer ex and his lovely last evening. Good times were had. Then I rode today and remembered he has a heart full of hate.

I heart my new BMC.

I got a bunch of new ink on my arm.

Quit my job. Changes a foot. That's about all I got for an update. Looking forward to a beach break in the action to hang with the fam.

Happy holidays. Go easy.

Cool! @Racer Ex sure picked a cold ass night to see whatever liberal nonsense they are promulgating on Broadway these days. Best of luck and roll with the changes. Have fun at the beach.
Old 12-19-16, 10:05 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Does anyone else have designated clothes piles? Like, here is 100% dirty, will not wear again basket. Here is may wear again but could be washed edge-of-basket drape. Here in a neat but unfolded pile on top of something random is my worn but hey, wtf it's jeans, hoodies, and pajamas so will wear again soon without washing. And the bike gloves and hat are always in a state of flux - always dirty but must wear when I leave the house. So they get their own spot, usually nestled in my helmet.
Yes, but I live alone in my bachelor cave. Aren't you married? Explain how you get away with it so that future TKP may benefit from your wisdom.
Old 12-19-16, 10:23 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i separate my laundry, but not by whites and colors: basket for fitness stuff (which gets done on gentle) + basket for regular person clothes (which mainly just consists of socks). i never rewear my cycling kit (excellent way to get saddle sores), but outer layers and stuff like gloves goes on a drying rack. jeans and sweaters go back in the drawer if ive worn them but thyre not dirty - if i dont consider them clean enough to put back next to other clean clothes than they probably need to be washed anyway.
Old 12-19-16, 10:27 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Yes, but I live alone in my bachelor cave. Aren't you married? Explain how you get away with it so that future TKP may benefit from your wisdom.
Wife and I have kind of a similar system. First off, clothes worn outside cannot be worn while touching any inside furniture ... there are inside clothes and outside clothes.

She then designates the clothes as clean (from the dryer, folded, or hung up), clean dirty (something worn lightly that doesn't warrant washing yet) that gets hung up in the spare bathroom, and dirty (laundry basket).

I kind of have my own bike clothes system. Gloves, warmers, and vest stay in the garage and get a few uses between washes. Bibs and jerseys are one and done while jackets get a couple uses between washes.
Old 12-19-16, 10:39 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Cool! @Racer Ex sure picked a cold ass night to see whatever liberal nonsense they are promulgating on Broadway these days. Best of luck and roll with the changes. Have fun at the beach.
We saw "Waitress". Tough getting through the 5th Ave security checkpoint, they make you listen to a 30 minute Trump Tower time share presentation and sign a loyalty oath in German before you can pass. Great show once we got there. We had dinner at Havana Social. Terrific meal and company.
Old 12-19-16, 11:03 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Ha! I don't always get away with it. I try to use logic of course, "you put your stuff where you think it goes and I'll put my stuff where I think it goes". But still I sometimes come home to find everything in the same basket >
Old 12-20-16, 05:41 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
During the summer, my stuff is usually wringing wet when I get done with a ride so the kit goes in the dirty clothes and gets washed ASAP. I'll hang the gloves up to dry but only get three days out of them before they're too fragrant to use, which is why I've got several pair. During the winter, bibs are one and done but jerseys and base layers are worn twice, arm and leg warmers are washed weekly, and gloves are washed based on snot content.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-20-16, 06:34 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by abhirama
Show us your new BMC too!
Old 12-20-16, 06:54 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I'm the homemaker in this family. As to the laundry discussion

oy

wash your clothes
Old 12-20-16, 07:46 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Congrats on the new jobs gsteinb and CDR.

I'm a clothes draper. Work slacks that will get worn again, pajamas, around the house shirts, stuff like that gets draped on the edge. I'm not going to wash my pajama pants that I wore for a few hours on the couch at night, every time I wear them. I don't have enough clothes for that. Sorry, not sorry. Drives my wife a little crazy, but her way drives me crazy. She puts everything in her dirty basket together, and then pulls it out if she wants to wear it again. Madness.

My daughter took what we're calling her first steps last night. It's not as hard and fast of a milestone as I assumed it would be before we had her. I think on your own, two solid steps, then stop and stand for a few seconds, then go down on your hands counts as walking, or something close to it. Just turned 10 months old a few days ago. Growing up so fast.
Old 12-20-16, 07:49 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Congrats on the new jobs gsteinb

I like your perspective!

Another's might be that I just chose to be unemployed.
Old 12-20-16, 07:56 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Not really school. I'm a meditation teacher and program director/creator for a small foundation. Dynamics aren't working any longer though, so I'm going to teach on my own. Sort of like the cycling coach model, but with meditation and mindfulness training.
That's what I meant. I couldn't remember the details specifically from your visit down here a couple years ago, but I remember that you were a bit frustrated with things there.

Originally Posted by canuckbelle
https://www.road-results.com/racer/139298

On the one hand, it's quite possibly sexist to assume that she doesn't know how to handle her bike in a pro peleton.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem like she has a strong bike racing history...and racing with the pros is technically way more demanding than a local open field.

BUT...I agree with ferret that she'll have lots of help on that front, and I bet she's a very fast learner. Her first couple races will likely be rough, but that's true for most people.
I noticed you made one of the positive comments.

It's just a start. Another session booked right after christmas.
Milo goes to Disneyland?

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Does anyone else have designated clothes piles? Like, here is 100% dirty, will not wear again basket. Here is may wear again but could be washed edge-of-basket drape. Here in a neat but unfolded pile on top of something random is my worn but hey, wtf it's jeans, hoodies, and pajamas so will wear again soon without washing. And the bike gloves and hat are always in a state of flux - always dirty but must wear when I leave the house. So they get their own spot, usually nestled in my helmet.
We have one hamper for all clothes, but if I'm not doing laundry right away, I usually lay my cycling stuff across the bathtub to dry out.

But I also have hooks on my closet door for clothes of varying levels of cleanness. Things that have been worn but are not yet dirty enough to wash - like you, jeans, a t-shirt worn after work...
Old 12-20-16, 08:26 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Milo goes to Disneyland?

Old 12-20-16, 08:33 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

On the one hand, it's quite possibly sexist to assume that she doesn't know how to handle her bike in a pro peleton..
is it sexist when some tri guy gets the same sort of questions about bike handling?
Old 12-20-16, 08:46 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.amazon.com/Egoodbest-ABE.../dp/B01GZZNVKY

"heart shaped"
Old 12-20-16, 08:52 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm the homemaker in this family. As to the laundry discussion

oy

wash your clothes
Are those Savile Road shop bottles on the shelf?

And clothes don't need to be washed all that often. We've become far to sanitized on a societal level, a little dirt ain't gonna hurt!
Old 12-20-16, 08:57 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by rankin116
Are those Savile Road shop bottles on the shelf?
yep
Old 12-20-16, 09:07 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Topflightpro can chime in if I'm wrong, but the team has a set of truck nuts that the 'winner' of the Thursday night ride is supposed to strap to their saddle for the next week. Kind of a shaming thing (at least I hope it is) to make you think twice about training for/trying to win a Thursday group ride.

yep
Nice. Steven's a nice guy, he started that up shortly before I moved South.
Old 12-20-16, 09:08 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I know him long time.
Old 12-20-16, 09:34 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
is it sexist when some tri guy gets the same sort of questions about bike handling?
That's the wrong counterfactual. The correct one is: were she a man, would she be less likely to get that comment? If 'yes,' then asking that of her is possibly sexist. And that counterfactual is probably true.
Old 12-20-16, 09:37 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I noticed you made one of the positive comments.
I should hope that was unsurprising

FWIW, my feed was 100% positive comments on the story, but that's also not surprising, given the feminist company I keep.
Old 12-20-16, 10:10 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
Topflightpro can chime in if I'm wrong, but the team has a set of truck nuts that the 'winner' of the Thursday night ride is supposed to strap to their saddle for the next week. Kind of a shaming thing (at least I hope it is) to make you think twice about training for/trying to win a Thursday group ride.
It wasn't a team purchase, nor is it managed by the team. One guy on the team did buy it, and the ride is basically a team ride since so many guys on the team do it, and the guys who aren't on the team often end up joining, so it can certainly seem like a team thing, but it's not officially a team thing.

I should hope that was unsurprising

FWIW, my feed was 100% positive comments on the story, but that's also not surprising, given the feminist company I keep.
The first negative comment I saw was from a woman.
Old 12-20-16, 11:23 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's the wrong counterfactual. The correct one is: were she a man, would she be less likely to get that comment? If 'yes,' then asking that of her is possibly sexist. And that counterfactual is probably true.
If I saw her race history for a guy (2 races from what I can see) and was told that person was being dropped in a pro peloton I would definitely have the same question. I don't care if you are a guy or girl but seeing someone go from essentially Cat 4 or Cat 5 straight into any pro rank I think there will be questions about whether you are able to handle your bike.
Old 12-20-16, 12:10 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Yikes. Something had me looking through my PMs on here and I decided to go look at old ones. Then I got a message on Facebook from someone with whom my last messages were from 2006. So that got me looking at other old messages on Facebook.

I cannot, in good conscience, recommend any of you do either of these things. You will cringe at your old self, think you're an *******, and feel incredibly old. These effects are both likely worse the younger you currently are.
Old 12-20-16, 12:34 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ha - things do change, don't they?

I saw your post about the kid as I was flipping through and was reminded that life had changed a ton for you since the conversations about PF frames and tolerances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.