Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2017- Race Results

Old 05-05-17, 09:36 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
First stage of the Tour de Bloom in wenatchee. A (supposed) 55 mile loop. Down Highway two and climb back up to town.

Felt really good sitting in the group. It's really nice to be in a pack that my fitness is up to racing with. 2 dudes went up the road about about mile 45. Plan for me was to attack when they got brought back, hoping to be at about mile 52 or so. Saw it getting close and was working on making my way to the front, closing down these weird splits in the field. Come around a corner to a cop standing on the corner saying we are at 1k to go. Garmin says 51 miles. ****. Split had just opened in front of me and plan was to let it all work itself back together without going too deep. Now, with 1k to go instead of 4 miles to go that gap accelerates up the road and suddenly I'm stuck on the wrong side of the front group. Steady stated it up the final climb, finishing ~40 seconds off the leader.

Tomorrow starts with an uphill mass start hill climb about 4 miles long, shoudl tkae ~20 minutes. I'm planning on using it as an FTP test as I haven't done one in quite a while. I also know that I'll probably race better trying to be steady state than accelerating and chasing moves. First mile are real steep, last mile is much more flat. Then the crit is in the evening
Old 05-06-17, 04:54 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
Myles Standish, Cat 3 and P123. It's nice to get back out, and overall my fitness is better than expected, but it's all low-end diesel right now. I was able to follow just fine in the Cat 3 race, almost missed the start of the P123 and sprinted on to the back of the group, and that was apparently the end of my ability to go over threshold for the day. So when the attacks started maybe 5 minutes in, I found myself getting gapped. I felt fine, just couldn't make bike go fast. So I chased various fellow droppees for a couple laps and packed it in.

I'm still getting the hang of handling the CAAD10. Not wild about the longer front end. I think I need to move my saddle forward a few mm. Might help a bit, and also might help the knee/IT band issues I've been having for the last couple weeks. So it's... interesting racing a bike you aren't fully comfortable on yet in the rain. I am steadily getting the feel for it and generally I'm now fine in the corners, but there are a few things that still surprise and bug me a bit about it.
Old 05-06-17, 07:12 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Crit today. One of those races you just want to do over. Two laps in and the guy in front of me takes a horrendous line and I roll up on his inside just as he decides to jerk right for whatever reason. Puts his derailleur in my spokes and bends three of them. Rolled around for two more laps trying to decide if it's rubbing my brake pads and finally figure it is and take a free lap.

Get back in and we're trading attacks all up and down the road. Finally get one of our guys solo with a few laps to go and he gets a nice gap. Then with two to go it gets all swarmy as people come flying around and I picked the wrong side, get pinched off and wound up 20 places back. Then the pace is full on and I'm trying to move up and move up and by the time I get to about 8th spot the sprint has started. Move into fourth pretty quickly and close down third like he's standing still, only to miss it by an inch (to Hunter East. He's like...55 years old!). Camera frame showed an inch behind at the line, then half wheel ahead in the next frame. Big speed difference but all for naught.

Would the aero carbon wheel have made a difference?!!!? Not as much as not being a dozen dudes back at the bell.

Another crit tomorrow. Onwards and upwards.

Oh, and no bike shops have cx rays. Why? Aren't they on like every carbon wheel there is? Another bikehubstore order and I get to race mismatched wheels and look so not super fast tomorrow.
Old 05-06-17, 08:25 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did Standish first 4s, raining. Waited at the start line for 40 mins because no ambulance. Rain on and off, so sweet. Pace high as always there but we all kept it upright. We were neutralized on the last lap, end of the back stretch. Soft pedaling for minutes behind a group of 7 juniors who we should have gone around and finished. Instead the moto held us until the top of the last hill/corner and said go for it. If you weren't drafting the moto you were out of contention. So dumb.
Old 05-06-17, 08:57 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"Raced" today. Golden State Race Series. Dig this race because it's close to home, put on by good dudes, and goes round n round my office. Back still achy from hurting it last week, but raced anyway.

35+ 123 ... pack. Chatted with @mattm briefly at the start, sounded like a dropped chain at the whistle? Legs not great early. Jumped into some promising action that failed. Put in a hard effort with a few laps to go that was pointless leaving me unable to contribute when the team could have used one more set of legs for leadout. Our guy salvaged second.

P12 ... DNF. Crash 45 min into the 75 min race took down my teammate. Pulled out to make sure he was alive after hearing he went down pretty hard. He survived with some scrapes.
Old 05-06-17, 09:16 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Also, heard a drone lost control and wedged into the front wheel of a rider leading to a big crash in the E3 field. Oops.

ETA

Last edited by hack; 05-06-17 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-07-17, 01:48 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Chatted with @mattm briefly at the start, sounded like a dropped chain at the whistle?
lol yes.. I'd rather not do that again!

Just before the start I realized I was in the little ring, but only did half a shift up front before they blew the whistle, then tried to softly pedal to get it the rest of the way. The chain did that weird thing where it's right on top of the teeth on the front chainring, but not engaging.. so I was rolling at 5mph for about 25" messing with it, shifting all around, to no avail. Eventually reached down and put the chain back on.

Then chased for two laps and caught back on. Ouch, what a warmup. A few people said I could've taken a free lap, but it would have been a "fake free lap" as I call them, since this was totally my fault. I deserved to get dropped if that's what it came to, I figured.

I mostly sat in for the 35's race, but did bridge to the late break with 20+ dudes in it. Only to find that they were all coasting, fml. 9th i the field sprint.

P12 ... DNF. Crash 45 min into the 75 min race took down my teammate. Pulled out to make sure he was alive after hearing he went down pretty hard. He survived with some scrapes.
I was behind that and threaded through.. heard someone groaning and though "ouch, I've been there too many times." Looks like no ambulances at least.

Legs felt like crap in the p1/2, I was riding for a teammate who got 6th. Coming in to the penultimate corner I felt like I could have attacked to maybe get a gap on the field, but was boxed in. Was right behind all the sprinters bouncing off each other and was glad I wasn't in the middle of it all. Rolled in close to last.

See you tomorrow! Just p/1/2 for me.

my race videos
Old 05-07-17, 06:25 AM
rubiksoval

Also, heard a drone lost control and wedged into the front wheel of a rider leading to a big crash in the E3 field. Oops.

Man, like a missile!

It looked like it hit him and shattered and he continued on while slowing down for a second or two. Wonder how he got flipped over the bars?
Old 05-07-17, 06:38 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
myles standish was fun. spent most of the cat 3 race in a break away. got caught with one 5 mile lap remaining. rallied for 8th in the sprint as we literally sprinted into the break from the masters field which was...interesting. jumped in the p123 race where i made the mistake of trying to hang out at the back and recovery after the 3 race. massive field split that never got closed. at one point i was in a 6-ish man group of very strong guys that eventually made it across the gap, i was wrecked though and got yelled at for skipping pulls and eventually got dropped out of that group. kind of a weird race but whatever, solid 70 mile training day.
Old 05-07-17, 09:38 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
I got shelled in about 5 regular laps (after 3 neutral laps, which was my warm up) in the B race at the Tues Night race last week. This made me decide to skip today's race. I think I'll stick to the Tuesday Nights until I can finish, although there's the Friday night Kermis later this month.

I'm at 39 hours for the year, and about 20 minutes of that was ridden at some kind of significant pace.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-07-17, 10:42 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
myles standish was fun. spent most of the cat 3 race in a break away. got caught with one 5 mile lap remaining. rallied for 8th in the sprint as we literally sprinted into the break from the masters field which was...interesting. jumped in the p123 race where i made the mistake of trying to hang out at the back and recovery after the 3 race. massive field split that never got closed. at one point i was in a 6-ish man group of very strong guys that eventually made it across the gap, i was wrecked though and got yelled at for skipping pulls and eventually got dropped out of that group. kind of a weird race but whatever, solid 70 mile training day.
Not sure it was a mistake to be honest, you didn't really want to be one of those front groups. They were going real hard. Nice job yesterday.
Old 05-07-17, 02:02 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Orchard Beach .. 14th, my first finish outside the top 10 in two years.

Second race in a row where the "wrong" break went early and stuck. The break looked terrible and none of the fast guys were in it. One of the fast guys had a teammate in the break and I was so ready for the catch and counter but it just never happened. The last 10 laps I did a ton of work on the front to try to get them back but this random guy was just sitting on me and wouldn't pull through -- it wasn't strategic, he was just cooked and decided to be my bike trailer.

Second week in a row with a low probability break sticking, and me spending half the race in the wind with nothing to show for it. Gotta play the odds but sometimes you just get a few bad rolls in a row.
Old 05-07-17, 04:56 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Went out to the Barrio Logan GP yesterday. I was course marshaling, as our club puts on this race, and standing in the rain and wind had me really discouraged, and I was thinking about just not even starting. The rain died down and the roads dried up a bit, and my teammates talked me into kitting up.

Had a bit too short of a warmup, and was still carrying a negative attitude of "I don't even really want to be here", so when a few guys set a hard race from the gun I was not happy. I'd just been following, but trying to position aggressively and not let anything go without the team. Mostly just sat 2nd and 3rd wheel to make sure the field didn't split without me. Luckily, my teammate followed an early counter attack to the hard pace while I was at the front and I chilled a bit to make sure they got a gap. A few guys were still trying to work, but I'd sit on 2nd wheel and then just pull at just a bit under threshold whenever I was at the front. Just hard enough that no one wanted to come around, but easy enough to let the gap grow, taking nice wide lines through the corners to discourage anyone from diving by. Kept doing that, and covering any attack attempts. About half way through the race, they had a sizeable gap, and one of the four in the initial break got dropped, which helped our odds a bit more. I let myself shuffle back into the pack, as my legs were burning from the lack of proper warmup.

My teammate ended up winning out of the break by a hair. I wanted to contest the field sprint for 4th, but just as I was about to launch, the guy in front of me bobbled and hit his brakes a bit. My only exit was to the left, and I knew my other teammate was back there, so I opted to slow down instead. Luckily, he launched just after that and made it to the line for 4th.

Moral of the story for me was that even when my attitude stinks, I need to give my all to the race. Also, the NP was lower than I thought it would be, telling me that I should be able to push harder even though it felt tough as it was.
Old 05-07-17, 05:15 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
8th today. Stayed towards the front most of the race. At one point drifted to about mid pack to conserve a little bit..which is when a break of 4 went up the road. If I had I known is was going to happen I would have tried to go with them (a guy I talked to last week about trying to get away with was in the break). Thought we caught 2 of them (must have been lapped riders that were still riding hard) and coming into the last lap I made my way to the front, kind of attacked a little when the 2 guys in front of me sat up into the wind, and held off the group while gaining some ground on a few guys who tried to bridge up before the last lap. Thought I finished around 5th or 6th, but with 4 guys up the road I ended up in 8th. Happy with that.

2 more races in this series but I can only make it to the next one. Need to try and make something happen next weekend
Old 05-07-17, 07:15 PM
rubiksoval

Another crit today. This time we rolled it well. Teammate and I in an early break of four for a lap or two, then once caught my other uber-phenom teammate had a go and spent the next 45 mins solo for the win. I ended up getting away with another guy about half way through and we rolled it hard to stay away from the field, but even then never got closer than 15 secs to my guy up the road. Won the sprint for second so we went 1-2, then 6th as well.

Good way to end the weekend. Have a Wednesday night race in a week and a half and then the State Crit Champs the next weekend. So many crits. Should be fun.
Old 05-07-17, 07:18 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Well done, @rubiksoval!

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-07-17, 08:25 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
"Raced" today. Golden State Race Series. Dig this race because it's close to home, put on by good dudes, and goes round n round my office. Back still achy from hurting it last week, but raced anyway.

35+ 123 ... pack. Chatted with @mattm briefly at the start, sounded like a dropped chain at the whistle? Legs not great early. Jumped into some promising action that failed. Put in a hard effort with a few laps to go that was pointless leaving me unable to contribute when the team could have used one more set of legs for leadout. Our guy salvaged second.

Wanted to do 35+ 123 as second race of the day. Registered. Was chilling under the sun and realized I got times mixed up with first day as they were announcing. :facepalm
Old 05-07-17, 11:14 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Golden State Circuit p/1/2/3 - WON FROM THE BREAK!!

I was just telling @Ygduf I thought my winning days might be over.. after crashing last month, getting 2nd a few weeks ago, then dropped last weekend it's been rough. But not anymore.

The Move went with about 45 minutes to go in the 75 minute race. Four guys were about 10" up the road - no big names, but strong enough that I hoped they'd work together. Bridged up solo (that hurt!), one guy dropped off, and eventually the four of us got a 1' gap on the field of 64.

There were a few times I felt like I was gonna get dropped, and even tasted puke (never done that before) but towards the end felt better. We played some cat n mouse games in the last 2k, and came in to the last 500m at about 22 mph. I opened up the sprint and held it to the line!

I did probably my best post-up ever, I really hope someone got a picture of it.. I had a Go Pro but it hasn't been working so no video, which sucks but I'll take it.

my race videos
Old 05-07-17, 11:25 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm

I was just telling @Ygduf I thought my winning days might be over.. after crashing last month, getting 2nd a few weeks ago, then dropped last weekend it's been rough. But not anymore.

The Move went with about 45 minutes to go in the 75 minute race. Four guys were about 10" up the road - no big names, but strong enough that I hoped they'd work together. Bridged up solo (that hurt!), one guy dropped off, and eventually the four of us got a 1' gap on the field of 64.

There were a few times I felt like I was gonna get dropped, and even tasted puke (never done that before) but towards the end felt better. We played some cat n mouse games in the last 2k, and came in to the last 500m at about 22 mph. I opened up the sprint and held it to the line!

I did probably my best post-up ever, I really hope someone got a picture of it.. I had a Go Pro but it hasn't been working so no video, which sucks but I'll take it.
Hell yea dude!!
Old 05-07-17, 11:39 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm

Watched the last few laps after doing some post 35+ 123 riding. Impressive win and strong sprint for having been in that break for so long. Baker is no slouch and a decent racer to beat out of a 4 man break. I'd have guessed Baker or Reed would have attacked your break with 1-2 to go with the gap getting up to a minute.

I raced the 35+ 123. We were down a few from yesterday and failed to move our omnium rider to first from second. Missed the break and that killed it for us.
Old 05-08-17, 12:24 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Didn't get to post last night.

TdB Stage 2: The Uphill race.
Managed to achieve my goal of performing a 20 minutes test. My power curve is beautiful. I let the race go, never really competing. Did the math afterwards and my predicted FTP was within 1 watt of my calculated FTP. Came in way the hell down from the Juniors taht won the stage.

TdB Stage 3: the Twitlight Crit.
First time ever racing at night. Spent all afternoon working on Homework and then chilled at the hotel for a few hours before the race. Gota good warmup in, then rode to the course. Standard 4 corner course, with a hill on both short corners. Found the way to move up was out of corner two on the outside to be shielded from the wind. The race went pretty well for me. Finished 16th, but I was very confident in my ability to ride the race. Got swarmed at the end, but felt good to finally be competing in a field that so many got pulled from.

TdB Stage 4: The windy Road race.
Super happy with how this race went. Only frustrating part was that I established the race long break. 4 bridged up and one the juniors that was with us kept surging in the pace line causing us all to work to hard and then dropping 3 out of the five from the break very quickly. I came back to the group adn hung out behind the echelon for a bit. Went real deep to holdon then chilled towards the front to let the GC leaders reel in the breakaway on the last lap. I was sitting on a really good wheel going into the sprint. One of the guys I race collegiate with jumped at 1k to go (which was my orignial plan..) and stuck it to the end. I was sitting on another guy I race with in collegiate who ended up getting third. At about 750 to go a touch of wheels to the right sent me pretty far back in the group as I got pinched. Just sprinted across the line to stay safe. Again, pretty far back, but so many gave up on this race since it was very difficult day with the cross winds.

Overall a fun stage race. I fell like I learned a ton from it despite some not so stellar results.
Old 05-08-17, 03:05 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Way to go, Matt!

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-08-17, 03:36 AM
abhirama

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats, @mattm!
Old 05-08-17, 05:15 AM
Costco hot dogs

Bikes: I got 'em.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride Sally Ride M4 and 35+ M3/4 Crit - short, 3 corner office park course. 1:30-ish laps, both races 20 miles, about 32 laps each. M4 field was 70+ reg'd. 35+ M3/4 field was 45+ reg'd.

M4 - started attacking from 45 seconds after the whistle, three other racers came with me. Got about 10 seconds on the field before they all floated back. Another 2 riders came across and we started working together smoothly. Dropped off 1 rider after 7 or 8 laps. Proceeded to nip away 2 or 3 seconds a lap, nice smooth single-lap turns. Got within 20 seconds of lapping the field, about 1:10 up on the field, when the other (SUPER STRONG) rider put a dig in to catch them. I didn't have it, but figured I didn't need to lap the field to keep 2nd. With 8 to go I just made sure the field never pulled back more than 6-8 seconds per lap. Rolled in for 2nd.

35+ M3/4 - Only about 45 minutes between races so I got some nutrition and tried to stay warm. Legs felt like garbage, but the race plan had me only doing work during the first half of the race. Got a couple laps into the legs and things stated feeling better. Moved up and covered 2 minor moves, then set up tempo for a lap. Floated back, rested, moved back up, set tempo for a lap. Tailgunned the rest. Teammates ran a proper 5-man leadout, leaving our 'A' guy clean wheels for a top step on the podium. Nicely done.

Great day for the team; our W4's swept the podium, and we had podiums in almost every race on the day. Super proud of my team. awesome!
Old 05-08-17, 06:49 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome @mattm !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.