Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-17, 11:10 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Air quality was pretty heinous this morning. I planned to do a 2x20' set on the bike trail and I checked the local AQI website before I left. Said moderate to high. Hmm. Got 10 minutes from my house and said screw it. Rode to the office and went to the gym: 20 minutes on the stationary then freeweight set.
trying to decide what I want to do today. The air is bad enough that the asthma I outgrew 20 years ago is pretty is irritating right now. I have to carry an inhaler around and I'm using it, but still feel tight.
Old 10-12-17, 01:50 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
did a short zwift race today, 30ish mins for me. 249 NP (98%) I used zwift to calibrate my trainer today (replaced my chain, figured it would help to calibrate). power/resistance seemed odd, ended up re-calibrating with the cycleops app afterwards to hopefully get things back to normal.

as for the race, finished 28/29 according to zwiftpower, too strong to be a C and too weak to be a B
Old 10-12-17, 02:01 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
More than anything else it will be interesting to see what two weeks of no riding does to me, I haven't taken that much time off the bike for nearly 5 years.
you are likely to lose all your fitness, probably going back to your cat 5 days. maybe cat 4 days if you are lucky.

Lets see how this goes.
hope you have a blast!

i have not had the opportunity to visit india, but i lived in the middle east for a while where there was a substantial population from the sub-continent, and the authentic indian food was ah-mazing!

no utensils, no napkins, no problem.

jealous!
Old 10-12-17, 02:34 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
trying to decide what I want to do today. The air is bad enough that the asthma I outgrew 20 years ago is pretty is irritating right now. I have to carry an inhaler around and I'm using it, but still feel tight.
Move to India. It would be considered a blessed day with air so clear you can actually see what the clouds up high in the sky look like.
Old 10-12-17, 02:36 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
Move to India. It would be considered a blessed day with air so clear you can actually see what the clouds up high in the sky look like.
pollution is like reason #3 that I would not want to move to India. I found Taipei nasty and their air isn't "bad" on the scale cities in India and China use.
Old 10-12-17, 04:29 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
The air's probably clean on the Pescadero side of those mountains.
Old 10-12-17, 04:46 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
The air's probably clean on the Pescadero side of those mountains.
Old 10-12-17, 06:28 PM
abhirama

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@dz_nuzz, you should rent a bike and ride while you're here (and experience for yourself the extreme craziness on the roads!). Where (all) in India are you headed to?
Old 10-12-17, 08:16 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abhirama
@dz_nuzz, you should rent a bike and ride while you're here (and experience for yourself the extreme craziness on the roads!). Where (all) in India are you headed to?
Flying into Delhi, then we are going to Kashmir for about a week where we are going hiking. There is definitely the temptation to ride, but this is really a good opportunity to rest and see my significant other who has been there on an internship for a few months. Cross training is on the docket for the next two weeks.
Old 10-12-17, 08:22 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
The bike will still be there when you get back. Enjoy!

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-12-17, 09:02 PM
abhirama

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a good time to visit Kashmir and a good season to hike as well. Have fun!
Old 10-13-17, 09:49 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
my basement got a lot cooler today thanks to the low temps so decided to be silly and try ftp intervals to see how it feels. not sure it helped by the time I started an hour ago, it's was in the 60's and by the end of the workout it's 72.

anyhow, I tried to do 2x15 @ 260, which is higher than my currently set ftp at 255. I had tried this a few weeks back and wasn't really up to the task of completing the 2nd set but today I got through them (avg 157 and 158 on them). is it worth upping ftp based on a couple of 15min efforts? I was at 265 last october before getting sick and tanking, so hopefully will claw back and move beyond that.
Old 10-13-17, 02:49 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Failed my first workout of the season last night. And it was only my 3rd workout in the plan... 3x(broken)20 at sweetspot over 2 hours. As I mentioned above, I bumped my ftp by 3 percent (~8 watts).My legs gave up the ghost with 5 minutes left on the last interval. I would stop, rest and try to pedal again and wouldn't be bale to overcome the resistance of the trainer to get it back up to speed. I had been getting dizzy on the trainer for the previous 20 minutes and after trying the third time to get the flywheel moving, I just gave up. Got off the bike and could barely stand. Immediatly got some sugar flowing and started to feel better after eating a real dinner post shower; but I was pretty wrecked for the next two hours. I also was feeling really cold that entire time. Fell asleep with a sweatshirt on and at some point took it off over the course of the night.

Not a fun time. Haven't bonked in a bout a year and much longer than that since i've hit the wall this hard on the bike. The first 2.5 sets were challenging, but nothing outside of what I've done before. HR was a little high, but I could hold the power and my spin wasn't fading like it normally does when I get tired. I just hit a wall. My diet has been pretty low calorie this week in an effort to get the weight loss moving.

Woke up this morning and legs didn't feel terrible. I figured I'd go for it. Took my vitamins and hopped on the trainer for 90 minutes of pretty easy spinning. ~60% of ftp. No struggle at all. Weird how the body runs out of gas some times.
Old 10-13-17, 03:14 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
New shoes - s-works! First intervals with em tomorrow, we'll see how close I got em to my old setup...
Old 10-13-17, 03:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
New shoes - s-works! First intervals with em tomorrow, we'll see how close I got em to my old setup...
Laces or Boa?
Old 10-13-17, 04:50 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Been doing threshold stuff recently and I noticed that I basically did none of that this year. Of course what happens but my threshold starts to creep upwards post-season. Now I just did a good set of 2X20s this morning and I am about to take two weeks off to travel in India.

More than anything else it will be interesting to see what two weeks of no riding does to me, I haven't taken that much time off the bike for nearly 5 years.

Lets see how this goes.

Two weeks off isn't much of anything. The first couple of rides back feel bleh, but then it returns quickly.

India is an absolutely different place. I spent two weeks in the north starting and finishing up in Delhi and going to Agra, Jaipur, Pushkar, Jodhpur, and Udaipur. Some of the most magnificent sights and buildings I've seen anywhere. But also some of the craziest, most dire examples of poverty I've seen as well. It's a hard-hitting mix. And the cows. The f***ing cows everywhere drove me mad.
Old 10-13-17, 06:31 PM
tommyrod74
MS, Registered Dietitian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@tommyrod74 et al, I think this would best be taken to a more relevant section of the forum. Since GC is chiming in I'll take it the off season truly is here and we can be allowed some diversity in here.

The truism of mtb suspension nowadays is they have gotten so complicated you can never be sure if they are working for you (your weight,terrain, etc.) or even working anywhere near as good as they could if you understood how to set them up. This is not the same as manufacturers providing a removable/insertable spacer that allows travel to be set to match the geometry designs of multiple bikes (thus cutting down on unique SKU's). Say you want an XL bike for you and the same make/model in XS for your SO. Both can come with the same fork/shock.

The complicated part is having an insurmountable option list that allows locking in very specific settings. Say your bike climbs better with the front ride height locked out a bit higher than sag is on flat ground. The best performance also needs the rear open with very specific settings to deal with the sudden shock of standing without bouncing your ass off the seat. Effectively this means everything gets set up stiff and you use your body as the fine tuned suspension. After spending hours poring over manuals to get the bike set up to hard tail like performance with some suspension.

The above has a lot of glossed over and generalized information to keep it brief. The second truism is modern bikes are so fully capable the learning curve is very steep. As is the decline when the rider learns their true skill level. Accurately tuned suspension goes some ways towards avoiding surprising responses under skilled riders attuned to their bike.
Or, you could just set sag, rebound (as most XC bikes have only low-speed rebound adjustment and high-speed is factory set), low-speed compression, and ride your bike.

If any of what you typed above was 1/10th as daunting as you make it sound, there would be massive carnage on every trail ridden by "modern bikes". Yeah, you can set up suspension poorly. It still won't likely kill you. It will, of course hold you back. A bit. We are, after all, talking about 100mm (on average) travel bikes.

Geometry is the real improvement in modern bikes.
Old 10-13-17, 08:30 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tommyrod74
Or, you could just set sag, rebound (as most XC bikes have only low-speed rebound adjustment and high-speed is factory set), low-speed compression, and ride your bike.

If any of what you typed above was 1/10th as daunting as you make it sound, there would be massive carnage on every trail ridden by "modern bikes". Yeah, you can set up suspension poorly. It still won't likely kill you. It will, of course hold you back. A bit. We are, after all, talking about 100mm (on average) travel bikes.

Geometry is the real improvement in modern bikes.
+1

it's not that complex, but we still have man people out there that have no idea whether to turn the dial on their derailleur cable clockwise or ccw to fix the shifting. lots of people have no idea what 'increase rebound' (really 'rebound damping') means -- they just accept it and ride.

DH/enduro suspension is more complex to get dialed, but by then one would hope the rider has a little more familiarity.

i'd argue that geometry has improved, but so has suspension. remember the stuff we were riding 10, 15 years ago that passed for suspension?

mountain bikes now are so, so good in general.

my 21# full suspension bike is a better bike on the descent than my old 32# bike -- and way faster uphill.

i'll also give a nod to remote lockouts on the bars. i always thought lockouts were dumb when they were mounted on the fork or shock and never used them. on today's ride, i probably used my fork lockout (this was a hardtail SS) 50, maybe 100 times during 2.5h. seriously.
Old 10-13-17, 09:12 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+2

humbled

geo!

not sure whether to genuflect or just continue gazing in awe

40 years and they just now figured out the geo

Old 10-13-17, 09:19 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Laces or Boa?
Boa! Laces are for the Rapha crowd
Old 10-13-17, 09:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Hah.
Old 10-13-17, 10:45 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
true

my race videos
Old 10-14-17, 02:22 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+2

humbled

geo!

not sure whether to genuflect or just continue gazing in awe

40 years and they just now figured out the geo

not sure what your experience is with big descents on 29ers the past 5, 8 years; is there a bunch of that where you ride? i'm not sure of your location.

it's important because early attempts at 29er geometry & suspension were not as dialed as they are today, and long travel/big wheels highlighted some weakness. even the real DHers are switching (like in the last year). with a few exceptions, riders are faster, and other than a few holdouts everyone has switched.

perhaps there's some reason you're dismissing @tommyrod74's response; i don't see it.

multiple wheel sizes are readily available, so this isn't something forced on riders (particularly racers) who have no options. it's easy to see what gear produces the most speed.
Old 10-14-17, 03:40 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
enjoy them, they're the best shoes.
Old 10-14-17, 06:11 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider

it's not that complex, but we still have man people out there that have no idea whether to turn the dial on their derailleur cable clockwise or ccw to fix the shifting. lots of people have no idea what 'increase rebound' (really 'rebound damping') means -- they just accept it and ride.
I resemble that remark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.