Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 08:44 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Company I work for only does "structured interviews." I can reaffirm to you they suck. I've been in a few interviews like this and I hate it. I like talking, reading people, making connections... Nota call and response.

On another note.. My car is in the shop again for another cylinder problem. Seriously considering cutting my losses at this point. Get it fixed, and go car shopping. Problem is I don't know what i want. I really like the convenience of travelling in my car with bikes to avoid hotel costs. Problem being it's hard to find normal looking cars that allow you to do that anymore. The Honda element was great for this but they're tough to find at a reasonable price now. I like AWD and with snow coming soon that seems like something that would be helpful. Lots of decisions to make with money I hadn't planned on spending just yet.
Old 11-07-17, 10:30 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
the dude at the auto place today (getting tires patched) was going on about my honda element.

I want to get rid of our (new) Mazda and get a van, but I think my wife wants me to lose the Honda... never.
Old 11-08-17, 07:48 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Honda HR-V and CR-V have AWD and decent space for hauling stuff. The HR-V is a bit underpowered, but if you just need a car to get around, they are decent options.
Old 11-08-17, 10:46 AM
topflightpro

Spent the last three days on my feet talking to people and working a trade show booth. It wrecked me.

Last night, we went to the bar after everything was finally packed up and ready to go. I slipped my shoes off under the table while we sat there a few hours. When we were done, I could barely fit me feet into my shoes. Apparently, they had swollen up quite a bit.
Old 11-08-17, 11:23 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Spent the last three days on my feet talking to people and working a trade show booth. It wrecked me.

Last night, we went to the bar after everything was finally packed up and ready to go. I slipped my shoes off under the table while we sat there a few hours. When we were done, I could barely fit me feet into my shoes. Apparently, they had swollen up quite a bit.
Having lived that life over a decade and lotsa air time, I wore compression socks. These were the less trendy ones from the drug store for old folks that went over the knee.

Kid's coach wears them daily and we try to have junior do it in-season for any travel.
Old 11-08-17, 12:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My wife has been trying to replace our 11-year old Audi station wagon. I love it, it's the perfect car for ski trips and bike racing. I get that it's a little dinged up and it doesn't have all the modern bells and whistles, and it runs a bit rough in the morning, but it still looks pretty good and it goes like hell. (My wife said, "Are you talking about the car or are you talking about yourself?")
Old 11-08-17, 01:49 PM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My kid hasn't seen rain in 6 or 7 months and we're in NYC for the week (wife and I are working, kid is in backup day care). It was 43 and raining last night, he was so excited to play in the rain I chased him around the flatiron district for 30 minutes. It was miserable and hilarious at the same time.
Old 11-08-17, 04:52 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
#dadlife

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-08-17, 10:32 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Car is fixed. I had them replace the other two ignition coils and they gave me a pretty substantial discount this time since I was just in.

I developed a list of cars I want to look at after this winter. Hoping to have my Honda get me through until then so I can save up some down payment money and seriously look at getting a car loan. Also, the diesel Mazda CX5 should be out by then and I've really wanted to drive that car since it got announced like 2 years ago.
Old 11-09-17, 01:23 PM
topflightpro

All morning, my new boss kept using a word wrong. She used it several times. At the first usage, I was momentarily confused, but I quickly figured out what she meant.

I've been debating whether to point out her error to her.
Old 11-09-17, 03:05 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
All morning, my new boss kept using a word wrong. She used it several times. At the first usage, I was momentarily confused, but I quickly figured out what she meant.

Mrs. John was a proof-reader before computers and she was pretty good at it. Now, when she points out errors in documents it just pisses off the people involved. She works at a school and she showed the principal a glaring error in a letter going to parents. She was told to just let it go. At her previous school she was told to stop finding errors in documents.
Old 11-09-17, 04:47 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Well, my iPod Classic officially died today. I'm currently downloading my iTunes library to my new iPhone 7 (they were out of 6's). I did NOT want to drive 1200+ miles each way to Tucson without my music.

I hit the jackpot at Goodwill yesterday. 17 CDs ranging from Dr. John to Elton John and numerous points in between, 99 cents each not including the 20% senior discount. Included were an overview of Segovia's career and Anne-Sophie Mutter doing Beethoven for violin and orchestra. And Steve Earle and the Dukes, which I will probably crank up when I hit the outskirts of Houston on I-10.

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-09-17, 05:20 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I hit the jackpot at Goodwill yesterday. 17 CDs ranging from Dr. John to Elton John
All right!!!!
Old 11-09-17, 08:18 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts

lol

What I do in that situation is use the word correctly when talking to them - that will either spark a discussion on how to use/say it, or they'll figure out they were doing it wrong.

Or.. she'll think you're wrong and post on Boss Forums about how some underling was saying a word wrong.

my race videos
Old 11-09-17, 08:51 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
lol

What I do in that situation is use the word correctly when talking to them - that will either spark a discussion on how to use/say it, or they'll figure out they were doing it wrong.

Or.. she'll think you're wrong and post on Boss Forums about how some underling was saying a word wrong.
lol

also, nice strategy
Old 11-09-17, 09:37 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Last day at my current job location. Changing over to the lab job I posted about a few weeks back. RIP to my 5 minute commute.

Going into the new place tomorrow just for a few hours to make up for the weirdness that is trying to schedule around thanksgiving.
Old 11-09-17, 09:41 PM
abhirama

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was the word 'revert'? For some reason Indians love to use it in place of 'reply'. Makes me mad.
Old 11-09-17, 09:48 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
what word tho
Old 11-09-17, 11:20 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
RIP to my 5 minute commute.
is it bad that every few months i debate leaving my job and look for other companies within a short commute radius of where i want to live? 5 minute commutes are life!
Old 11-10-17, 05:53 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
is it bad that every few months i debate leaving my job and look for other companies within a short commute radius of where i want to live? 5 minute commutes are life!
Not at all. I think I've seen studies where commute time has a huge impact on happiness, more than income or other job related things.
Old 11-10-17, 07:28 AM
rankin116

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, commute time is huge. I'm currently driving about 45min each way after being at a job for two years where I had a 15-20min free bus ride. This suuuucks.
Old 11-10-17, 07:52 AM
topflightpro

She kept using brevity when I think she meant gravity or gravitas.

Also, I currently live 3.3 miles from my office. It's a bit too close to bother riding - also, despite the presence of bike lanes, traffic sucks and would be quite scary on a bike. Most days, it takes me about 20 min. from the minute I stand up at my desk to when I walk into my house.
Old 11-10-17, 08:25 AM
big john

Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
15 months ago I moved to a place 16 miles form work. A fast day takes about 45 minutes and slower drive days take an hour or more. It is the suck.
Old 11-10-17, 10:12 AM
rankin116

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
15 months ago I moved to a place 16 miles form work. A fast day takes about 45 minutes and slower drive days take an hour or more. It is the suck.
Damn! I'm driving about 31 miles each way, so I'm pretty much always moving. If I had to sit in traffic I would go bananas.
Old 11-10-17, 10:12 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I'm in Thailand with my wife, first time out of the US. Its freaking awesome and I barely have time for facebook, but In trying to actually post all my **** there just cuz. You should go see all the cool photos! Facebook Aaron V McDevitt. Private, so just friend me and lemme know who you are if you feel like seeing some random internet guy having an awesome time lol.

Maybe Ill post pics here some day when I have computer access.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.