Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery Yokota

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mystery Yokota

Old 01-07-19, 11:15 AM
Real1shepherd

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
While the underside of the bottom bracket shell is the most common location for the serial number, it can vary depending on the manufacturer and/or year. Other common locations include the bottom and top of the seat tube, rear dropouts and head tube. If there is plastic cable router under the bottom bracket shell, it can sometimes hide the serial number. If you can't find a serial number, we can always resort to component date codes. Thank-you for taking the extra effort. It is very much appreciated.
Thanks....I'll look if I get home at a decent hr. I've seen them on the rear dropouts before on other bikes.

Kevin
Old 01-07-19, 06:00 PM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
While the underside of the bottom bracket shell is the most common location for the serial number, it can vary depending on the manufacturer and/or year. Other common locations include the bottom and top of the seat tube, rear dropouts and head tube. If there is plastic cable router under the bottom bracket shell, it can sometimes hide the serial number. If you can't find a serial number, we can always resort to component date codes. Thank-you for taking the extra effort. It is very much appreciated.
Good call on the BB plastic cable guide piece covering the serial. It reads: SK 041 With a big space like that after the 'SK'.

Original rims, BTW. Didn't measure, but look like 26". Here are some more pics:

Love this bike!!

Kevin

Last edited by Real1shepherd; 01-07-19 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 07:22 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
A family member needs to use my storage for a while so I had to clear the shed and tarp some bikes. An old garbage save came out of the back, a Yokota Yosemite Pro. Not sure how much is original, but looks like it was built with a mix of Deore. T9302 0608? With PRO stamped above. YOKOTA with Project USA underneath.

Old 01-08-19, 08:52 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Real1shepherd
Good call on the BB plastic cable guide piece covering the serial. It reads: SK 041 With a big space like that after the 'SK'.

Original rims, BTW. Didn't measure, but look like 26". Here are some more pics:

Love this bike!!

Kevin

That's a really short serial number and I don't know the manufacturer but it could be reverse engineered to November 1990, which would make it a 1991 model. The derailleurs are definitely Deore DX and it has the low-profile cantilevers introduced in 1991. The Yosemite went to Shimano 500LX in 1992 and Deore LX in 1993, so everything is pointing towards a 1991 model.

Last edited by T-Mar; 01-08-19 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-08-19, 09:16 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by curbtender
A family member needs to use my storage for a while so I had to clear the shed and tarp some bikes. An old garbage save came out of the back, a Yokota Yosemite Pro. Not sure how much is original, but looks like it was built with a mix of Deore. T9302 0608? With PRO stamped above. YOKOTA with Project USA underneath.

The Yosemite Pro with Columbus OR and a mostly Shimano Deore DX group was offered in both 1992 and 1993. The difference was that the 1992 was spec'd with a Dirt Research Aftershock suspension fork while the 1993 was spc'd with a Tange Struts suspension fork. That serial number could be reverse engineered to February 1993, which matches well. Unfortunately, I don't know the manufacturer, but I've seen it on some Nishiki of the era. FYI, 1993 MSRP was $920 US. Thxs for posting.
Old 01-08-19, 10:39 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's a really short serial number and I don't know the manufacturer but it could be reverse engineered to November 1990, which would make it a 1991 model. The derailleurs are definitely Deore DX and it has the low-profile cantilevers introduced in 1991. The Yosemite went to Shimano 500LX in 1992 and Deore LX in 1993, so everything is pointing towards a 1991 model.
I thought it a short serial too....I can't make any sense of it other than maybe the 041 means the 41st bike in production that yr. And maybe the 'S' and the 'K' are date code month and yr?

'91 makes sense in my remembered timeline. Do you know how much the bike would have listed for retail? I can't imagine my then wife letting my boys go crazy on this as a gift, unless the salesperson was gifted....lol.

Be awesome if Harrington would chime in on this.

Kevin.
Old 01-08-19, 10:56 AM
T-Mar

I thought it a short serial too....I can't make any sense of it other than maybe the 041 means the 41st bike in production that yr. And maybe the 'S' and the 'K' are date code month and yr?

'91 makes sense in my remembered timeline. Do you know how much the bike would have listed for retail? I can't imagine my then wife letting my boys go crazy on this as a gift, unless the salesperson was gifted....lol.

Be awesome if Harrington would chime in on this.

Kevin.
I suspect that 'S" is the manufacturer, "K" is November, "0" is 1990 and "41" is the 41 st frame. If so, it's the 41st frame manufactured during November 1990. The 1991 MSRP was $649 US. It was 4th from the top in an ATB line consisting of 6 models. You could arguably make that 5th in a line of 7 ATB models, as there was the Twin Peaks tandem with Deore LX/DX, flat bars and 26" wheels.
Old 01-08-19, 11:30 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I suspect that 'S" is the manufacturer, "K" is November, "0" is 1990 and "41" is the 41 st frame. If so, it's the 41st frame manufactured during November 1990. The 1991 MSRP was $649 US. It was 4th from the top in an ATB line consisting of 6 models. You could arguably make that 5th in a line of 7 ATB models, as there was the Twin Peaks tandem with Deore LX/DX, flat bars and 26" wheels.
Thanks...sounds reasonable. The bike was bought in Columbia, MO. I don't remember the name of the bike shop, but it was on a main drag and the shop was upstairs in a building with glass store fronts. You could see the bikes up there as you drove by. I remember being up there buying stuff. The state had just opened the KatyTrail. This was an old railroad line that went from St.Louis to Sedalia, MO. It wasn't quite finished then but we had about five hundred miles of access from Rocheport, MO-either direction. They had ripped up the old tracks and rolled the whole thing with Buckshot (waste limestone rock). It had the property of packing like asphalt once wetted. Our part was along the Missouri River and was gorgeous in the warm months. I mean a lot of you wouldn't piss on that kinda riding, but with two energetic boys, it was a crowd pleaser. However, in '92/'93 we had that horrible flood back there. I helped sandbag Rocheport so the town didn't literally float away. I was on National TV as a volunteer...lol.

I think the whole trail extends now as the railroad line did....pretty famous for bikes and pedestrian traffic. There was a whole lot of hullabaloo in the begiinng about how 'transients' were gonna follow the trail and rob the houses close to the trail...promote crime etc. In the end, the trail won out. The Yosemite was a natural for that trail. Other than a few yrs in the salt belt, the bike has lived in semi arid climates since then. You might have noticed from the pics, the little nuts & bolts that are usually rusted, are not. MO is humid and has a lot of fast climate changes....this means dripping humidity inside things...things that are even sealed like differentials, transaxles, bike frames etc. You just have to see it/live it to believe it. Here we have virtually none of that and bikes live forever.

Kevin

Last edited by Real1shepherd; 01-08-19 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-08-19, 12:01 PM
T-Mar

Thanks...sounds reasonable....
I found the an advertisement for the 1991 Yosemite. Unfortunately, it's just about the worst possible picture for trying to determine a match! However, it's interesting in that the MSRP is $599. That's $50 less than my March 1991 price list, but I also see that advertisement has a effective date of 12/90 for the MSRP. I wonder if that's Harrington scratching his head?
Old 01-08-19, 12:11 PM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I found the an advertisement for the 1991 Yosemite. Unfortunately, it's just about the worst possible picture for trying to determine a match! However, it's interesting in that the MSRP is $599. That's $50 less than my March 1991 price list, but I also see that advertisement has a effective date of 12/90 for the MSRP. I wonder if that's Harrington scratching his head?
Horrible picture!!! Not being able to see the drive group etc....what were they thinking?! Never saw a bike ad like that one....lol. I could see the ex paying $500 something, but not $600 something. If I had bought the bike new, I'd still have the receipt and any literature that came with it.

I'm sure they were trying to be trendy/cool with that ad but.......

Kevin
Old 03-22-19, 11:15 AM
toasterbike

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Rockhopper GX, 1990 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yokota Catalogues?

Does anyone know of any links to Yokota catalogues? I can't seem to find any out there.

Thanks!

There's a few catalogues for sale on ebay, but I'm not about to buy them and I think the two Yokota bikes I might buy on Facebook Marketplace are from 1988.

Unfortunately, I can't post any pics because I'm not at 10 points yet. Bummer. But the bikes have U-brakes mounted beneath the chainstays, and what looks like biopace chainrings. One bike is green and the other is black, and both seem to say Yokota on the seat tube.
Old 03-22-19, 12:44 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by toasterbike
Does anyone know of any links to Yokota catalogues? I can't seem to find any out there.

Thanks!

There's a few catalogues for sale on ebay, but I'm not about to buy them and I think the two Yokota bikes I might buy on Facebook Marketplace are from 1988.

Unfortunately, I can't post any pics because I'm not at 10 points yet. Bummer. But the bikes have U-brakes mounted beneath the chainstays, and what looks like biopace chainrings. One bike is green and the other is black, and both seem to say Yokota on the seat tube.
Even if you had catalogues, they wouldn't help you. The picture has very poor resolution , you can't see anything back past the crankset and the bicycle in the foreground is obscuring partially obscuring the front ends. You need to ask the seller for better pictures and more details. Better yet, go see them in person.
Old 03-22-19, 02:18 PM
toasterbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm usually get I can beyond reasonable doubt by identifying the colors and what year(s) they were offered. But the seller is MIA so far...

Last edited by toasterbike; 03-22-19 at 02:25 PM. Reason: a word
Old 03-24-19, 12:56 PM
toasterbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update! So the seller let me know that both bikes are Yokota Ahwahnee models, which seem to be cross/hybrid bikes.
Old 03-25-19, 10:45 AM
T-Mar

Based on the wheels and tyres, I'd say those are ATBs. The Ahwahnee wasn't re-designed as a hybrid until the very early 1990s.
Old 03-25-19, 11:40 PM
Jharrington
Jharrington

Bikes: Various

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Catalog and Specs

Originally Posted by toasterbike

Thanks!

John Harrington here, I took a quick look at my catalog collection and wouldn’t you know it 1989 is the one that I didn’t see. Can’t believe I have pretty much all other years but it must be buried. However it looks like the Ahwahnee model. That model was most likely spec'ed with Suntour Drive Train and not Shimano Biopace Chain Rings. Looking at the 1990 and 1991 catalogs it was always offered with Suntour XC. Nice equipment. If it had U-Brakes that might mean it was a smaller model as I tried to make the smallest frame size Icould and that meant that there wasn’t always clearance to have the normal cantilever brakes on the seat stays. If you need more information I can try and dig deeper, that was just a quick look through my archives, (Tupperware Box) of old catalogs. The Ahwahnee was a “Sport MTB” meaning nice for the better maintained fire roads or streets and such.
Old 03-26-19, 12:01 AM
Jharrington
Jharrington

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Advertising

Horrible picture!!! Not being able to see the drive group etc....what were they thinking?! Never saw a bike ad like that one....lol. I could see the ex paying $500 something, but not $600 something. If I had bought the bike new, I'd still have the receipt and any literature that came with it.

I'm sure they were trying to be trendy/cool with that ad but.......

Kevin
Well I can definitely say it wasn’t me scratching my head. Sorry you didn’t like the ad, it wasn’t my favorite either. But at time we had to shoot the ad we hadn’t received the 1991 models nor did we have a Specalized model to shot side by side. So we had to be creative with the photo and let the Copy speak for its self. That ad didn’t run for long as when we did get that years model and we and could get our hands on a Specalized model we made a new ad shot them side by side. That was our best selling model and was picked out by Bicycling Magazine as a “Best Buy” for that year. I still see them around. Years later I was in South America and saw some in bicycle stores in Brazil.
Old 03-26-19, 12:05 AM
Jharrington
Jharrington

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have the Yokota Yosemite bike...it was given to me as gift, new.....somewhere around 1991. It was sold as a 'hybrid' bike....which has a very different meaning now. Being half road bike and half pseudo mountain bike, describes it perfectly. I have more miles on this bike than any other of my bikes. Probably because of nostalgia, but everything works on it spectacularly. ...the brakes, the shifters etc. It's not fussy...it always delivers...unlike my Trek mountain bike which falls 'out of tune' if not ridden. Mine is black, never crazy about the color but it is what it is.

Thank you John H. for all the nice yrs with this bike!!

Kevin
Kevin you are welcome. It really was just a mountain bike. The Mariposa was its equivalent as a Hybrid. It was our best selling model and if I remember correctly, Bicycling Magazing selected the Yosemite as their pick for a Best Buy MTB for 1991.
Old 03-26-19, 07:59 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jharrington

Kevin you are welcome. It really was just a mountain bike. The Mariposa was its equivalent as a Hybrid. It was our best selling model and if I remember correctly, Bicycling Magazing selected the Yosemite as their pick for a Best Buy MTB for 1991.
John,
Like I said, I think the term 'hybrid' erroneously came up in the conversation when my wife and kids bought the bike for me. And for whatever reason, it stuck on the bike all these yrs. It's obviously just a early, non-suspension mountain/ATB. I'll be riding this bike until I can't ride anymore and maybe it will go on into someone else's life as well.

It's been on the road more than off and never really punished other than I'm a big guy. I've heard the frames are pretty durable for punishment. I've certainly never babied it....generally my go-to bike of choice.

Kevin
Old 03-26-19, 08:02 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Well I can definitely say it wasn’t me scratching my head. Sorry you didn’t like the ad, it wasn’t my favorite either. But at time we had to shoot the ad we hadn’t received the 1991 models nor did we have a Specalized model to shot side by side. So we had to be creative with the photo and let the Copy speak for its self. That ad didn’t run for long as when we did get that years model and we and could get our hands on a Specalized model we made a new ad shot them side by side. That was our best selling model and was picked out by Bicycling Magazine as a “Best Buy” for that year. I still see them around. Years later I was in South America and saw some in bicycle stores in Brazil.
Makes perfect sense now that I hear the explanation!

Kevin
Old 03-27-19, 09:01 AM
T-Mar

No, that was the Yokota Twin Peaks tandem.
Old 03-27-19, 11:56 AM
Jharrington
Jharrington

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Not A Yosemite?

No, that was the Yokota Twin Peaks tandem.
I’m not sure I understand your comment. What do you mean it was a Yokota Twin Peaks? I though your post or someone’s post was about a Yosemite MTB. I admit I’m not really good at navigating this site.
Old 03-27-19, 01:23 PM
T-Mar

I’m not sure I understand your comment. What do you mean it was a Yokota Twin Peaks? I though your post or someone’s post was about a Yosemite MTB. I admit I’m not really good at navigating this site.
My comment was in response to your statement about Bicycling magazine's Best Buy selection. The Yokota model which was designated a Best Buy in 1991 was the Twin Peaks, not the Mariposa as you stated. I apologize for any confusion.
Old 03-27-19, 03:03 PM
Jharrington
Jharrington

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My comment was in response to your statement about Bicycling magazine's Best Buy selection. The Yokota model which was designated a Best Buy in 1991 was the Twin Peaks, not the Mariposa as you stated. I apologize for any confusion.
O.K. Now I understand your comment but you miss understood mine about the Mariposa. I saw a comment where the Yosemite was described as a Hybrid. The Yosemite was a Mountain Bike and the Mariposa was a Hybrid at roughly the same price point, but quite a different bikes. Your memory is better than mine. I’ll have to break out my bound editions of Bicycling to get my years correct. The Yosemite and the TwinPeaks were both seevted as “Best Buys” by Bicycling but not in the same year. You pointed out that in 1991 the Twin Peaks was designated a “Best Buy”. Then the Yosemite won that distinction in a prior year. 1990 maybe, the Yosemite was the first Yokota to get the “Best “Buy” designation. I’ll have to look. It’s been a long time and so many other products since then. Thanks for keeping the record straight.
Old 03-28-19, 07:00 AM
T-Mar

O.K. Now I understand your comment but you miss understood mine about the Mariposa. I saw a comment where the Yosemite was described as a Hybrid. The Yosemite was a Mountain Bike and the Mariposa was a Hybrid at roughly the same price point, but quite a different bikes. Your memory is better than mine. I’ll have to break out my bound editions of Bicycling to get my years correct. The Yosemite and the TwinPeaks were both seevted as “Best Buys” by Bicycling but not in the same year. You pointed out that in 1991 the Twin Peaks was designated a “Best Buy”. Then the Yosemite won that distinction in a prior year. 1990 maybe, the Yosemite was the first Yokota to get the “Best “Buy” designation. I’ll have to look. It’s been a long time and so many other products since then. Thanks for keeping the record straight.
No, I understand your comment about the Mariposa, as I was aware that it was hybrid model, before you posted.

The Twin Peaks tandem was the 1st Yokota model to receive a Best Buy rating from Bicycling. The suspension fork equipped Yosemite Pro rec'd a Best Buy rating the following year, in 1992.
Likes For T-Mar:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.