Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Power, cadence and gear ratio calculator?

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 11-12-19, 05:58 AM
bartek. 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

It took me few hours with nothing however I am almost certain sure that someone shared the link on this forum. I'm looking for a calculator between power, cadence and gear ratio. Simply to set a specific gearing for required power and cadence.

Anyone know a place to find it or formula?

Cheers
Old 11-12-19, 07:40 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bartek.
Hi,

It took me few hours with nothing however I am almost certain sure that someone shared the link on this forum. I'm looking for a calculator between power, cadence and gear ratio. Simply to set a specific gearing for required power and cadence.

Cheers
I don't think I've seen a calculator that includes power - that's because, in order to translate power to cadence through gear ratio (all of that is essentially speed), you have to chart a course through a bunch of other variables that few people know for themselves, and are pretty tricky to measure in the first place.
Old 11-12-19, 07:48 AM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, it's crucial for speed charts (wind, tyres, cda etc.) but I don't think it's that important if I'm not interested in speed numbers. Surely, by using training rollers where a total resistance is super low, for the same gear ratio and cadence, the power output will be much lower. However, as I would like to use it in controlled environment, such like velodrome, most of the resistance is quite/enough stable to get pretty accurate (or stable) results I believe.
Old 11-12-19, 07:58 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
It's not possible.

You may be thinking of Kurt Kinetc where they provided some maps of "X speed = Y power" based on the resistance required to move their fluid trainer's drum a certain speed. But, that X = Y equation only works when using that particular trainer. The formula would be different for a different fluid trainer.
Old 11-12-19, 08:29 AM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Hi,
Simply to set a specific gearing for required power and cadence.
Cheers
Once given a known Power x Speed curve, it’s easy to build on a simple Excel table/curve.

I use it to choose gears when targeting a rpm-watt spot on roller intervals, but I have the Power x Speed curve for it, bike/wheels/tires/pressure being kept the same.

It’s like.. “I know I will need 400w when going at 45 kmh at the rollers, and I want to deliver it at 100rpm, which will be the best gears for it?”.
Old 11-14-19, 04:23 PM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Clythio
Once given a known Power x Speed curve, it’s easy to build on a simple Excel table/curve.

I use it to choose gears when targeting a rpm-watt spot on roller intervals, but I have the Power x Speed curve for it, bike/wheels/tires/pressure being kept the same.

It’s like.. “I know I will need 400w when going at 45 kmh at the rollers, and I want to deliver it at 100rpm, which will be the best gears for it?”.
Hmmm this is more or less what I'm looking for. As I'm understanding you just used your known data (power x speed) from previous workouts to make the curve?
Old 11-14-19, 05:56 PM
carleton
Elitist

Hmmm this is more or less what I'm looking for. As I'm understanding you just used your known data (power x speed) from previous workouts to make the curve?
Yes...or previous real world efforts.
Old 11-15-19, 09:46 AM
Clythio

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Exactly. Powermeters all the time. My roller, same conditions, try to use same pressure etc.
But of course you can build a real world, outdoors, speed x power curve and work over it.
Old 11-18-19, 03:38 PM
carleton
Elitist

To add a dose of reality...

If you are a sprinter, just about all of your training will be maximal. The variation will be in volume. The intensity will be maximum.

If you are an all-arounder or pursuiter, you'll have to train operating in "The Pain Cave", and that simply boils down to training against heart rate or RPE.

Having trained with power meters for years and logging so many workouts and races, power really just shows what the end result is of a lot of other upstream factors. For example, for pacing efforts, the heart controls how long power is applied, not the other way around. Watch the heart rate and you'll have a better idea as to how you are *currently* doing and whether you can turn it up a notch or turn it down. The Power being recorded is just the output of all of that, just like the speed or time of the effort.
Likes For carleton:
Old 11-18-19, 03:54 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
To add a dose of reality...

If you are a sprinter, just about all of your training will be maximal. The variation will be in volume. The intensity will be maximum.

If you are an all-arounder or pursuiter, you'll have to train operating in "The Pain Cave", and that simply boils down to training against heart rate or RPE.

Having trained with power meters for years and logging so many workouts and races, power really just shows what the end result is of a lot of other upstream factors. For example, for pacing efforts, the heart controls how long power is applied, not the other way around. Watch the heart rate and you'll have a better idea as to how you are *currently* doing and whether you can turn it up a notch or turn it down. The Power being recorded is just the output of all of that, just like the speed or time of the effort.
Outstanding, accurate, and relevant post!