Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Can’t improve my average speed

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Can’t improve my average speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-20, 12:02 PM
lyf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
The 20-25 hour a week training schedule? And then the 25-35 hour a week racing schedule? Not particularly useful.

If the OP could ride that many hours, they'd probably be pretty fast, too. For all of us that don't, intensity helps make up for the training load which is instrumental in forcing adaptations (i.e., making you faster).

Riding 5-10 hours a week without much intensity isn't going to make you much faster once you've established some baseline fitness.
That's a great point - the calculus totally changes with the number of hours available to cycle! I agree.
Old 07-07-20, 03:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I see. FirstBeat tech comes with some Garmin products, in fact Garmin bought FirstBeat. So it is related to HRV as I guessed. I found: https://www.kup.at/kup/pdf/39.pdf

These Garmin devices come with FirstBeat tech: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...x53UDqUH7q4WC6
Old 07-12-20, 07:43 AM
dstroebel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep your weight within your height limits. Wider tires increase your speed. If you have 700/23 tires increase to 700/28. Get a Park Tool chain cleaner. Gunk can cut your speed also. Get professionally fitted for your bike. Incorporate weight training to increase leg strength. Carb-up before a ride. You can burn 60 grams of carbs per hour. I hydrate a day before a long ride. Make sure you use a tire pressure formula to ensure you are with your range. Google bike tire pressure calculator..

Let me know which one's above you were not following and how things turned out.

Dave
Old 07-13-20, 04:50 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Troll thread, and all of us took the bait!

One word.

Intervals.