Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Garmin Index scale --> Zwift

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 10-29-20, 07:13 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts

Anybody able to sync their Garmin Index scale weight with their Zwift account?

I replaced an old Fitbit scale (it was getting flaky) earlier this year. Since I'm very into the Garmin ecosystem and have no Fitbit left in the house, I decided to spend up and get the Index (right before the new version hit the market ) Our old Fitbit scale sync'd weight info with Zwift, but Garmin doesn't. My Garmin and Zwift accounts are linked, I see Zwift activities on my Garmin account.

This page in Garmin Connect (Settings --> Account Information) looks like the place. But I get an error entering the serial number. Also this field seems unneeded since the Index scale is connected to my account

Old 10-29-20, 07:27 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Additional information from DC Rainmaker:

Moving to 3rd parties, things are super mixed. Some platforms support it, but many disappointingly do not. This isn’t entirely the fault of Garmin, but it’s also an area they could put some effort into convincing their partners (cough, Zwift).
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/10/...th-review.html
Old 10-29-20, 10:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
I barely understood half the words in your first post, but I now know there are scales that sync to other devices. Now I have to figure out why that is appealing/beneficial.
For Zwift, does it matter if you weight 167.3 or 166.9 on a given day? I change my Zwift weight when it has consistently changed and stayed the same for a couple weeks in real life. Is this something I should actually care about and change more frequently?
I just assumed if I list 213.8 or 211.9, I really wont be noticeably/measurably faster. Maybe I need to care more and not just assume?
Old 10-29-20, 11:13 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I barely understood half the words in your first post, but I now know there are scales that sync to other devices. Now I have to figure out why that is appealing/beneficial.
For Zwift, does it matter if you weight 167.3 or 166.9 on a given day? I change my Zwift weight when it has consistently changed and stayed the same for a couple weeks in real life. Is this something I should actually care about and change more frequently?
I just assumed if I list 213.8 or 211.9, I really wont be noticeably/measurably faster. Maybe I need to care more and not just assume?
You make a fine point ... admittedly, I'm being OCD.

My weight doesn't fluctuate much, I typically stay in the same 5 lbs range and over a year I see less than 15 lbs change from max to min. The one reason I'm interested in syncing my scale is for Zwift racing and keeping data as accurate as possible, and that's not that big of a deal.
Old 10-29-20, 12:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
I am now interested to see what 2# does in terms of w/kg.
I bet itll put me make me 38th out of 46 instead of 39th out of 46!

All seriousness, I would like to know what the difference is. Im guessing it will vary though since they take height into account too and tall people are just straight up penalized on Zwift.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-30-20, 06:50 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

I think I found the very long way around to sync Garmin Index weight to Zwift using FitnessSyncer (https://www.fitnesssyncer.com/) - I needed to recreate my Fitbit account, link Fitbit and Garmin Connect to FitnessSyncer. Than connect FitBit to my Zwift account. Here's hoping that once it set up, I can forget about it and it'll just work.

Not exactly a user friendly set up ... blarg. And I've been trying to deactivate as many accounts as possible to minimize exposure to hackers, so creating two new accounts is annoying.

Funny enough, I remember doing something like this 5-6 years ago to automatically sync Garmin rides to Strava.
Old 11-04-20, 10:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
All seriousness, I would like to know what the difference is. Im guessing it will vary though since they take height into account too and tall people are just straight up penalized on Zwift.
If I lie to zwift and say I'm 5'`10" vs the actual 5'9" is that worth 5 pounds?
Old 11-07-20, 07:43 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
If I lie to zwift and say I'm 5'`10" vs the actual 5'9" is that worth 5 pounds?
Based on my observations of how fast they go past me uphill, some people on zwift are made of helium and less 2' tall.
Old 11-09-20, 09:01 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by nycphotography
based on my observations of how fast they go past me uphill, some people on zwift are made of helium and less 2' tall.
lol!