Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 08-18-21, 11:38 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Putting the kids to bed for the third time tonight. Woke them up for a tornado warning to go to the central downstairs bathroom, it expired, we started putting them back to bed, another warning.

Been up for about an hour at this point. Storm is still raging, I hear some hail, but the warnings have well expired. Hopefully for good. Seems like we get way more tornado warnings here then we ever did in NC.
Old 08-19-21, 03:12 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Jeepers. Ashton Lambie went under 4:00 minutes for the Individual Pursuit. That should kick start that as the old-legit event that has a resurgence.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 08-23-21, 10:58 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
If anyone's selling an old 50-52 cm cross bike with canti's or a similar bike that can take up to 32-35mm tires, please let me know. GF needs a philly city bike and I'm hoping to pick up something in that category! I'm in philly/nj area, but could do as far up as boston or as far south as DC/Virginia Beach depending on the timing!
Edit :
Woo. Got super lucky and found something locally!

Last edited by ridethecliche; 08-28-21 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-25-21, 11:27 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Am I the only one who starts to worry if they are feeling good while tapering? I always start worrying that I'm too rested and something is going to be missing come race day. I think it's odd, but can't stop it. It doesn't help that I've been trying to hold form since the end of June and have doubts about my form even though the data says not to. In other news, I'm a mess going into my TT this weekend that BBS is predicting a direct or cross headwind for over 80% of the course.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 08-26-21, 09:21 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I keep getting emails about great deals on airfare to places I want to visit. But, given the new COVID emergence, I'm terribly reluctant to take any risks, despite being fully vaccinated. It's frustrating, and I want life to return to normal.

In other news, I have somehow managed to get poison ivy on my arms and neck. I have no clue how I got it, but I do not like it. On the plus side, I have finally figured out why I've had a sore throat for the last month - I have chronic laryngitis - and I'm on medication to clear it up.
Old 08-26-21, 09:24 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by ntnyln
Am I the only one who starts to worry if they are feeling good while tapering? I always start worrying that I'm too rested and something is going to be missing come race day. I think it's odd, but can't stop it. It doesn't help that I've been trying to hold form since the end of June and have doubts about my form even though the data says not to. In other news, I'm a mess going into my TT this weekend that BBS is predicting a direct or cross headwind for over 80% of the course.
I was actually talking about this topic with my coach this morning. He basically said that I'm going to start feeling really good and fast when I start tapering over the next two weeks and that is not an invitation to start upping my efforts, chasing KOMs or doing more than is prescribed.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-26-21, 10:54 AM
ntnyln

So true. Thankfully it was threatening rain on Sunday or I would have just kept going. Something so simple can be so complicated.
Old 08-26-21, 04:04 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
A friend who I rode with for years moved away and got remarried. I haven't seen her in a year and a half. She e-mailed to ask me and Mrs John out to dinner next Monday. Mrs John already said she doesn't want to go eat in a restaurant.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-26-21, 04:32 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Mrs John already said she doesn't want to go eat in a restaurant.
Why? covid fears?
Old 08-26-21, 05:13 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Why? covid fears?
Yes. We're both vaxxed but the recent surge has her concerned.
Old 08-26-21, 05:31 PM
ntnyln

Argh... Nothing like spending hundreds of dollars on a skinsuit with number pockets to only see this in the promoter's email:
  • If you choose to use a time trial suit with a race number pocket your score may be invalidated by the officials for lack of visibility.
Old 08-30-21, 08:09 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Got my 2nd shot. Feel more like **** than usual, just 8 hours later already.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 08-31-21, 06:13 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Yo dawg! Why won't my cross bike shift better? Maybe I was just lazy when I upgraded it from 10 to 11spd and didn't follow the clutch RD instructions or cut the chain the right length!

Geeez. Chain was too long, so low chain tension. Then also you have to have that RX800 RD right on that stop dog ear tab thing. I had it jacked up way back and the set screw for the cog to cog distance was way too far.

Whoa and behold.........it'll shift better.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-31-21, 07:47 AM
big john

Yes. We're both vaxxed but the recent surge has her concerned.
So we didn't go. My friend and her husband aren't vaxxed yet but they will be soon. Plus, Mrs John isn't comfortable going to a restaurant yet.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-31-21, 07:54 AM
big john

I found cracks in the drive side crankarm on my Campagnolo equipped bike. It's 10 speed, Ultra Torque. I'm told 11 speed will work, I can't find a 10 speed set anywhere and even 11 speed like I want are rare. I found a used Chorus for $300 locally or I can get a Centaur for $217 + tax + shipping. Someone told me the Over Torque can be had cheaper but I would need new cups and a tool to replace the cups.
I need 175 arms and compact rings, if any of you have one lying around and you'd like to part with it.

I should just get a new e-bike.
Old 08-31-21, 08:41 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
I found cracks in the drive side crankarm on my Campagnolo equipped bike. It's 10 speed, Ultra Torque. I'm told 11 speed will work, I can't find a 10 speed set anywhere and even 11 speed like I want are rare. I found a used Chorus for $300 locally or I can get a Centaur for $217 + tax + shipping. Someone told me the Over Torque can be had cheaper but I would need new cups and a tool to replace the cups.
I need 175 arms and compact rings, if any of you have one lying around and you'd like to part with it.

I should just get a new e-bike.
Bah, I can't help. I have non-UT, non-compact.

I was just looking at my (10s) 175 Chorus square taper crank arms, digging through stuff looking for wacky parts for my track bike. I bought the cranks for the rings way back when, then didn't use the rings because I got a 130mm BCD SRM. Just be clear, I'll repeat - not UT, not compact.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 08-31-21, 09:36 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Yeah, all my stuff is 10s square taper triple as well. I thought about going with external BBs but Campagnolo only did Powertorque BBs for triples (required a special $$$ tool) and it's only been since 12 speed has come around that I felt that compact doubles could provide the same range without losing a gear I liked (and I don't have the cash to upgrade to 12s).
Old 08-31-21, 03:24 PM
big john

I'm wondering if the end of the bike part shortage is coming and if some of this stuff would be easier to find. One problem with Campagnolo is there aren't a lot of people who know a lot about it, at least people I know. The crank I have is actually a Fulcrum Racing but they don't make them any more.
I had a standard Chorus but I sold it years ago.
Old 09-01-21, 07:36 AM
topflightpro

I'm wondering if the end of the bike part shortage is coming and if some of this stuff would be easier to find.
From what I hear, no, it's not coming.
Old 09-01-21, 10:20 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
The part shortage will not end in the next couple of years. Period. Current delivery dates on many standard Shimano parts are reading October and November of next year. I am kinda chapped they decided to launch the new groups yesterday with OEM deliveries in October. I get it - you can't stop multi-year design, testing and manufacturing processes because of a pandemic and then sit on the new tech while it slowly gets outclassed by new tech or competitors... but... I take it as a measure of good faith if you can actually have basic chains in stock anywhere before pushing these systems on top end clients,

The over $4k retail price for the new DA group is another punch in the junk.

Seriously I can't stress this enough - if you like riding your bike then source replacement standard wear parts sooner rather than later. If you don't absolutely need it yet then don't over pay for it but if it's in stock at normal price then I suggest grabbing what you could foreseeably need in the next year or two.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-01-21, 10:31 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
I need to get off my ass and get some more chains/tires. I have enough of both at the moment (and am switching to waxing chains, so I have multiples stripped and waxed ready to rotate through), but not having a large stock of spares always makes me nervous. I have enough tubes that I should be ok, but a few more flats than expected and I'm going to start having mismatched valve lengths (not the end of the world as long as I have some that are long enough).

Parts availability seems to go is fits and spurts for me. Building up a parts bin bike to replace the one that got wrecked and I found out my crown race setter was chipped/uneven when it broke the crown race from the headset I had in the parts bin. Took me a long time to find another Record 1" headset (had to go across the pond and pay extra for expedited shipping), only to find everywhere suddenly had those headsets 2 days later. Once it comes it, I'm taking the crown race to a shop to get it fit even though I'm going to get myself a new crown race setter because I'm sure that, if I break it again, everywhere will have sold out again and I'll be SOL. Still, I can use the setter for other builds I have planned for down the road when I have at least one working bike in case I f things up again.

I keep meaning to build up a new rim brake wheelset to go with the new bike build, but I go back and forth about how deep I want to go with the rims. My fear is that I'll finally decide on the rims only to not be able to get spokes anywhere (thinking the Pillar Wing 20 at this point, but will probable take what I can get). I was already surprised when I build up a wheelset earlier this year that spokes from my usual source had taken a big jump in price.

Last edited by himespau; 09-01-21 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-01-21, 10:54 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by himespau
I keep meaning to build up a new rim brake wheelset to go with the new bike build, but I go back and forth about how deep I want to go with the rims. My fear is that I'll finally decide on the rims only to not be able to get spokes anywhere (thinking the Pillar Wing 20 at this point, but will probable take what I can get). I was already surprised when I build up a wheelset earlier this year that spokes from my usual source had taken a big jump in price.
Sapim are backordered into at least next year through any US source. Even the backup locations are empty. I have a few thousand on backorder. I got a release of about 500 yesterday that I can only chalk up to someone else dropping their backorder when their slot came up.

Pillar seems to have wide availability at the moment especially if you source in Taiwan. Honestly I am not a fan of Pillar. Maybe that will change down the road but I haven't changed my mind to date.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-01-21, 01:11 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
With cross comes some fun, but also sadness. It really means after the series, typical meetup season is over. Our weeknight worlds I usually do once a month due to driving distance closes shop. Nobody really does it at all. Cross will close up shop until the usual mini-series in true winter.

With the constant disappointments of the Covid era trying to mentally prepare and decide what I'll do this year. It's already getting dark sooner. Despite being hot as **** outside.

The in-town weeknight ride continues with fewer folks through all year. But the intensity is generally a bit passé. Which is fine. Maybe I'll just have to show up early and do some workout sets, then roll.

But.........for now cross is here. Signed up for all 4 in the series. Two on home turf, two a 25min drive.
Old 09-01-21, 01:29 PM
topflightpro

One shop I go by regularly told me they have had no issue getting frames, but they cannot get the parts to build frames. Even when they order complete bikes, they sometimes arrive with just frames, wheels, bars... The component groups are on backorder.
Old 09-01-21, 04:50 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
With cross comes some fun, but also sadness. It really means after the series, typical meetup season is over. Our weeknight worlds I usually do once a month due to driving distance closes shop. Nobody really does it at all. Cross will close up shop until the usual mini-series in true winter.

With the constant disappointments of the Covid era trying to mentally prepare and decide what I'll do this year. It's already getting dark sooner. Despite being hot as **** outside.

The in-town weeknight ride continues with fewer folks through all year. But the intensity is generally a bit passé. Which is fine. Maybe I'll just have to show up early and do some workout sets, then roll.

But.........for now cross is here. Signed up for all 4 in the series. Two on home turf, two a 25min drive.
We switch our Tuesday night road hammerfest ride to a night path ride. We have enough path system in the area it ends up being about 34 miles on mixed materials (pavement, gravel, dirt). We make the change because the light disappears or is setting while we ride West on really busy roads - making us invisible. I had a friend die that way so I don't want to ride that way. We ride with lights and it has moments of spiciness and times for recovery and handling. It keeps a good base going through the cross season and in the longest section we take turns attacking each other and countering.

For us around Chicago it becomes some of the best riding all year. Night riding is just plain fun. The paths are nearly empty. Soon the leaves will change and we will get the occasional sprinkle or snow that will turn the whole thing into a deeply meditative ride that just centers the week. We started it last night for this season and it was the best ride we have done all year. Such a blast.

Good luck with the cross stuff. It's this area's favorite time of year. Our official series here has cancelled but all of us races except for one is still planning on happening. Between us and Wisconsin we will have a very busy schedule. Nationals in December is in town as well. Our path ride goes within a couple miles of the nationals venue.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
One shop I go by regularly told me they have had no issue getting frames, but they cannot get the parts to build frames. Even when they order complete bikes, they sometimes arrive with just frames, wheels, bars... The component groups are on backorder.
...and they will be for quite some time. Honestly almost all component delivery dates in Shimano's current system show October and November of next year. Thing is those are open for backorder so any order placed now counts off that inventory...meaning if you (as a shop) don't know if you are going to need a pile of rotors next October now then byt the time you realize you want them you will be ordering the rotors that will be showing up in April 2023.

I am not kidding. It really is this bad. Honestly I see this almost harkening in the push back to rim brakes and resurgence of 10 speed. Time for the retro road movement to awaken.

Likes For Psimet2001:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.