Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

clincher tire direction of rotation

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-22-21, 05:42 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts

Lately I am finding a tire rotation arrow on even my road tires. Some are difficult to read as with the black on black with the Specialized tires and some are nearly impossible to read as with the Continental Grand Prix 4-season tires. If is is important I would have thought that the tire manufacturers would make it easy to read the notation and see the direction of the arrow. Does anyone know about the importance of the direction of rotation on a non-tubular road bike tire?
Old 09-22-21, 05:49 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I have experimented with tire direction in the past with the GP4000, Super Sport, and Ultra Sport and found that it made absolutely zero difference in the rain or dry as far as grip goes. It also made zero difference in rolling resistance and noise.
I also experimented with the Conti 700x38 City Ride and found it made zero difference in rolling resistance and grip in rain or dry. One difference that was noticed was noise, but that was it. Not sure why there are rotation marks on tires with seemingly little to no tread other than to legitimize the "sipping" tread design, although it seems to not matter in the least.
Old 09-22-21, 05:52 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
...it's mostly about the tread design, and wet weather. Not sure it makes a lot of difference, but the tread is designed to shed water off to the sides, in theory. So you want those wavy things pointing backward as the tyre rotates. It does definitely make a difference on car tires.

Old 09-22-21, 06:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I'm sure it's there on slick road tires because people needed to know which way to put them on.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-22-21, 06:30 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
it made absolutely zero difference in the rain or dry as far as grip goes. It also made zero difference in rolling resistance and noise.
Makes no difference with tubulars either.
Old 09-22-21, 06:52 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
I've mounted my GP4000 tyres the "wrong" way around by accident before. Rode many miles. Makes zero difference.

I'd speculate that the directional arrow is there so people don't ask which way to mount the tyre, and also so the tyre looks good in photos with logos or sidewall patterns lined up. #marketing
Old 09-22-21, 07:07 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 159 Posts
I have a tubular mounted the wrong way, and I didn’t even notice until I had had a couple rides on it.
Old 09-22-21, 09:58 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
Pretty much irrelevant, to a point as a professional mechanic I prefer to have some rotation direction indicator on all tires because I'm paranoid about missing one, even on a tire that doesn't need it, because it's something that could be "wrong" for the customer. If there isn't one, I just have to methodically inspect the entire tire surface.
Likes For cpach:
Old 09-23-21, 06:00 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
The GP5000 tires have the annoying "shark fins", a supposed "tread" on the sidewalls. Some riders care if the fins are pointing in the right direction. It's a style thing, but doesn't affect riding.
Old 09-23-21, 07:29 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If you don't ride down twisty trails at 50 mph or otherwise near the edge of performance the tires are designed for, then probably not a big deal. If for some reason they wear out sooner, well, then you'll know. Or at least have some anecdotal experience to support believing one way or the other.

If a tire has a rotational arrow, I mount it as the arrow indicates. If I don't see it and later notice the tire is on backwards, then I change it. Not so much that I'm worried about safety and performance concerns it might cause, but just because it bugs me knowing that arrow is pointing the wrong way.
Likes For Iride01: