Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Whoever said that it was easy to wrap your own bars owes me something.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 01:21 PM
fujirider
Pronounced: Foo-Chee

Bikes: Fuji Newest 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know what, but something is owed.

I attempted to wrap my bars last night. I used the Park Tools website as a guide. I did what it said and after several re-wraps they looked kinda nice.

Then came the tricky parts.

1. How can you get a clean tape job on the wrap end closest to the stem? I couldn't figure out how to cut the tape so that I didn't have 1.5 inches of electrical tape holding the wrap on the end.

2. Inserting the bar ends...I know that you are supposed to leave a little tape off of the end to tuck into the open part of the bar. Well I did that but when I tried to put the bar end on, the tape wasn't cooperating. The bar end finally started to go on but then the tape started to pull off of the end of the bar.

Does anyone have ANY tips or tricks to do this job??
Old 08-29-07, 01:27 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
1. You need to cut the wrap at an angle to get the straight edge. Second, when you put the finish tape on, keep it flush with the end of the wrap - don't overlap it onto the bars. The point of the finish tape is to keep the tape from unwinding, not attach it to the bars. This makes for a much cleaner finish.

2. At the bar ends, you need to leave more than a little wrap off to stuff inside - like an extra complete loop. The proper "stuffing" process assures a clean and solid finish.

Good luck.
Old 08-29-07, 01:30 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
It takes a bit of experience, but you cut the end near the stem on a taper, then you only need the width of the finishing tape to hold it in place. The taper should end under the bar, as should the finishing tape ends. Tip: use electrical tape, then cover it with the finishing tape. Finishing tapes rarely work that well.

As for the bar ends, some bars are a larger diameter and the end doesn't fit snug, even with the tape stuffed in. Wrap electrical tape around the insert of the bar end to make it a tight fit.

My first couple of times looked like poo, but you get to the point you can do it in your sleep.

Old 08-29-07, 01:43 PM
cuski
Chunky Programmer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first wrap job was finished in 1 hr and it came out perfect. Also, based on the parktool website instructions. Be patient, do a trial run first. If you have another bike for reference - or pics of your previous wrap - it also helps.
Old 08-29-07, 01:44 PM
bianchiboy71
Celestial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually get the bar end plugs in as soon as I start.
I put my finger in the bar end and do one revolution of tape around my finger first then a couple on the bar then put the plug in.

At the other end keep winding until you're too close to the stem then fix the end of the bar tape down with insulation tape.
Run a sharp blade around the circumference of the bar where you want your bar tape to finish. Remove the excess and seal with a couple of winds of insulation tape.
Old 08-29-07, 01:44 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
He's complaining about the ends. I always thought the tricky part was around the brake levers.

To wrap near the stem, like people said, cut it off at an angle. What you are trying for is to continue the spiral, but cut the edge closest to the stem at an angle so the wrap ends with no spiral. And use electrical tape; everyone does. I just bought a new bike and even the bike shop does this.

At the end of the bar, start the wrap with a complete wrap around the bar with a bit overhanging the end. Pull it tight as you are wrapping it around so the edge of the tape off the end of the bar curls inward under the tension. After you have made the full wrap around (this is to hold the end of the tape in place to avoid exactly what you've experienced), then start the spiral up the bar. If it is a tight squeeze to get the endcap on, use a mallot and gently tap the plug in. If it is loose, like the Doc said, use a wrap of electrical tape around the insert of the plug.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Likes For Brian Ratliff:
Old 08-29-07, 01:47 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
At last, a bike weenie more mechanically challenged than Pcad.

Hallelujah. Thank you Sisters.
Likes For patentcad:
Old 08-29-07, 01:51 PM
acape

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't stuff the tape into the ends of the bar. Instead, I employ a trick I learned somewhere here on BF:

Before touching the bar tape, I do a few wraps of electrical tape sticky side out at the ends of the bars. Then I just start my bar tape wrap flush with the end of the bars. The electrical tape holds it in place. Then, depending on your bars and the plugs you use, you may need to wrap the plugs with a little tape to get them to stay in the ends.
Likes For acape:
Old 08-29-07, 01:52 PM
fujirider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
At last, a bike weenie more mechanically challenged than Pcad.

Hallelujah. Thank you Sisters.
What's funny is that I have rebuilt rear hubs before but I can't grasp this bar wrapping task.
Old 08-29-07, 01:54 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
oh, and these make excellent bar ends:

Old 08-29-07, 01:55 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
^^^
Where did you get those? Do they automatically turn on or is there a button somewhere?
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 08-29-07, 02:15 PM
njm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
^^^
Where did you get those? Do they automatically turn on or is there a button somewhere?
I looked at these -- pushing the plastic LED "lens" turns it on/off, if that makes sense.

They're available at Performance Bike here for $13.
Old 08-29-07, 02:26 PM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njm
I looked at these -- pushing the plastic LED "lens" turns it on/off, if that makes sense.

They're available at Performance Bike here for $13.
They work really well. They give a little profile light too which is nice.

Here is how I finish my wraps:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=229900&page=2 (Posts 44 and 45 have insturctions and pictures.)

I think it is infinitely more attractive and more comfortable than tape.
Old 08-29-07, 02:38 PM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just re-wrapped my bars last night. Using tape without adhedsive backing is a big plus. You can wrap and re-wrap as many times as you like.

Just take your time. It does seem to be a puzzle at first, but once you've done one side successfully, it gets much easier. The parktool site is a decent guide.
Old 08-29-07, 02:39 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
i did not know that Cypress did whippets in the shower, but that doesn't sound like such a bad idea.
Old 08-29-07, 02:43 PM
Son of the Dark One

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fujirider

I don't know what, but something is owed.

I attempted to wrap my bars last night. I used the Park Tools website as a guide. I did what it said and after several re-wraps they looked kinda nice.

Then came the tricky parts.

1. How can you get a clean tape job on the wrap end closest to the stem? I couldn't figure out how to cut the tape so that I didn't have 1.5 inches of electrical tape holding the wrap on the end.

2. Inserting the bar ends...I know that you are supposed to leave a little tape off of the end to tuck into the open part of the bar. Well I did that but when I tried to put the bar end on, the tape wasn't cooperating. The bar end finally started to go on but then the tape started to pull off of the end of the bar.

Don't wrap your bars while drunk.
Likes For 666:
Old 08-29-07, 02:52 PM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay

I love these.

It's a decent enough light, cheap, and you ALWAYS have a backup to your other lights or in case you get caught out after dark without lights.

For the price, it's a no-brainer for me and on all my bikes.
Old 08-29-07, 06:17 PM
SlowSpinner
Yes it is a paradox

Bikes: Trek, Orbea,Specilized

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My quads are so big I don't think the people behind me could see the bar end lights.
Likes For SlowSpinner:
Old 08-29-07, 06:42 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some things I've learned:
- keep a little tension on the tape as you wrap, it helps keep it in place.
- as you wrap, pick a point on the tape to overlap, and stay with it (like over-lap half-way, or bring the adhesive strip just over the underlying layer, etc.)
- when usng electrical tape to finish the end near the stem, keep it taut/under tension for the first wrap or two, then let it loose on the last wrap. It won't pull off and leave gooey adhesive to hold onto.

All these things are not my ideas, just gathered via research.

It's really not too hard if you take your time and be consistent. Have fun!
Old 08-29-07, 07:13 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by acape
I don't stuff the tape into the ends of the bar. Instead, I employ a trick I learned somewhere here on BF:

Before touching the bar tape, I do a few wraps of electrical tape sticky side out at the ends of the bars. Then I just start my bar tape wrap flush with the end of the bars. The electrical tape holds it in place. Then, depending on your bars and the plugs you use, you may need to wrap the plugs with a little tape to get them to stay in the ends.
I didn't have much luck with the reversed electrical tape. I'll have to try the finger in the bar end trick next time.

I've used Specialized tape, it's stretchy and has a silicone gripper strip down the middle instead of adhesive. It's easy to unwrap and rewrap.
Old 08-29-07, 07:14 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Wrapping bars is way easier than wrapping Christmas presents. It is so easy that a Killer Penguin can do it.
Old 08-29-07, 09:11 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay

I have them - they rattle a bit on rough road, but they work nicely. Good to have at dusk, or if you end up going through a tunnel or under a dark underpass and need something to punch up the visibility.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 08-30-07, 06:47 AM
fujirider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice and help everyone. I re-wrapped them last night using your advice and they came out really nice.
Old 08-30-07, 10:14 AM
chevy42083
steel lover

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bar wrapping really just takes practice... each time there are things that I plan to do differently the next time.

For one, I heard about removing the brake levers, and leaving just the clamp with the protruding bolt (vintage non brifter levers... not sure what others look like)... this allows the tape to be wrapped without it curving up onto the brake lever... saves tape, and bulkiness). After you are done wrapping, you will not see the clamp of the brakes, just a bolt protruding through a seam in the tape. Then reattach the brake lever bodies.
Old 08-30-07, 10:40 AM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fujirider

1. If you have black bar tape it doesn't really matter if you have a little extra electrical tape. With colored tape it gets tricky to make it look clean. I always cut my tape off so that the end is underneath the bar and then use about 2 wraps with electrical tape. I like the idea of wrapping beyond where you want the tape to end and using a blade to cut it back but I'd be afraid that I'd score my carbon bars.

2. Leave about 1/2" or slightly less of tape all around the bar off the end of the bar when you start and make sure that you wrap it pretty tight so that it doesn't start to pull off when you tuck the plug in.

Last edited by SDRider; 08-30-07 at 10:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.