Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Trained with a coach and FTP dropped, significantly.

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-17, 09:58 PM
GMJ
Would you just look at it

Bikes: good ones.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Hey all,

I was wondering what the best course of action would be. Fall 2015 I took on my first coach to really try and get serious with racing since I was starting to travel for some of the bigger track events and wanted to get further in road too.

Long story short, my numbers have gotten worse and I'm wondering what the collective experience has been and when is a rider justified in dropping a coach. I realize it's the winter but such a dramatic drop has got me kinda freaked out.

Dec 2015 5min Peak Power - 402w
Feb 2017 5min Peak Power - 342w

Dec 2015 20min Peak Power - 311w
Feb 2017 20min Peak Power - 260w

I've slimmed down and I used to work a manual labor job, which made me physically stronger but this kind of drop is pretty drastic.
Old 02-05-17, 10:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Not enough info to advise you any. For example, power aside, how's your speed and enduance?

But to answer the specific question about firing (or quitting) a coach, that's whenever YOU feel it's the right course of action for you. Coaches serve their clients, not the other way around.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-05-17, 10:26 PM
GMJ

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I had some of my best results, which is really confusing, considering that I should be much slower. I'm not sure if this was just from experience or what.

I've also considered the possibility that I just got older and ****tier but I'm only 25. This may had been my fault but I followed the plan pretty closely.
Old 02-05-17, 10:26 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Have you mentioned your concerns to your coach? Has your W/kg dropped too? How about intangibles? Has he worked with you on tactics? Improved your positioning on the bike? Are your improved results just experience that would have come without him?

Not arguing that you shouldn't drop him by any means, just that numbers are good for e-wang, but maybe not much else. I'd tell him that you're concerned with your numbers and mention that you're surprised that your power numbers going down have happened at the same time as your results are improving. Then maybe get into asking if he has an idea of why your numbers are going down because you're doing more structured workouts than you had when your numbers are higher (if you can do it nonconfrontationally so he doesn't get on the defensive and you blow up your relationship in case there is a simple explanation). It could be there isn't a good explanation and he doesn't know what he's doing, but you would be better able to judge that from a conversation with him than some strangers over the internet who've never met either of you or observed your workouts.

Last edited by himespau; 02-05-17 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-05-17, 10:29 PM
GMJ

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, definitely. Tells me not to be worried since it is winter and that is valid but we're both pretty stumped as to why I should have gotten slower.

I went back to school and work part time now from working full time, so I don't get nearly as much volume, which might be part of it too.
Old 02-05-17, 10:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by GMJ
I had some of my best results, which is really confusing, considering that I should be much slower. I'm not sure if this was just from experience or what.

I've also considered the possibility that I just got older and ****tier but I'm only 25. This may had been my fault but I followed the plan pretty closely.
At 25 age is definitely not a factor. As mentioned, maybe you need a dialog with the coach before you decide anything.

One thing to consider if you're getting faster, while less powerful is that these are not directly related. You mentioned slimming down, which brings to mind an old analogy --- which is more powerful, a race horse or a draft horse? Which is faster? And which do you want to train to be like?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-05-17, 11:11 PM
howellhandmade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The decrease from December to February seems proportional. If you have lost enough weight, the decrease from 15 to 17 could be a result and you could still be faster. Have you done your own reading so that you are confident and believe in your coach's methods? If so, focus on the process, not the outcome.
Old 02-06-17, 08:18 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Power down, weight down. How is the w/kg? If speed and/or results were getting better I would be happy.

The answer is to talk to your coach. If you're unhappy you can leave any time, you have no obligation to him (unless you signed a year contract or something.) Just tell him you're not sure the program is working and ask him why you're seeing the numbers you're seeing.

Talking seems to be a lost art.
Old 02-06-17, 12:18 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
watts don't win races <repeat as often as necessary>
speed wins races.

other than talking w/ you coach (which it sounds like you've done), check with your w/kg, your VAM, and all the metrics that are actually related to getting across the line first.
Old 02-06-17, 12:21 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by GMJ
Hey all,

I was wondering what the best course of action would be. Fall 2015 I took on my first coach to really try and get serious with racing since I was starting to travel for some of the bigger track events and wanted to get further in road too.

Long story short, my numbers have gotten worse and I'm wondering what the collective experience has been and when is a rider justified in dropping a coach. I realize it's the winter but such a dramatic drop has got me kinda freaked out.

Dec 2015 5min Peak Power - 402w
Feb 2017 5min Peak Power - 342w

Dec 2015 20min Peak Power - 311w
Feb 2017 20min Peak Power - 260w

I've slimmed down and I used to work a manual labor job, which made me physically stronger but this kind of drop is pretty drastic.
What about results? Are they better or worse?

my race videos
Old 02-06-17, 04:04 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by GMJ
I took on my first coach to really try and get serious with racing since I was starting to travel for some of the bigger track events and wanted to get further in road too.
Originally Posted by GMJ
I had some of my best results, ...
Sounds like your coach delivered exactly what you asked for. That's about the best that can be said of a coach. Expressing what your goals are is your job, not his.
Old 02-06-17, 05:44 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by GMJ

Maybe your pm is messed up.

At the end of the day, it's the results that matter. No one cares what watts it took to get there.
Old 02-06-17, 05:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I don't have enough information to answer your question about firing your coach, but for what it's worth I would trade watts for results any day of the week.
Old 02-06-17, 10:21 PM
Ygduf
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Maybe your pm is messed up.

At the end of the day, it's the results that matter. No one cares what watts it took to get there.

I was scrolling and scrolling hoping to be in before the "calibrate your meter" post.
Old 02-06-17, 11:18 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
It is always good to fire your coach every few years.
1 year is a bit soon.
Old 02-07-17, 07:34 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I don't have enough information to answer your question about firing your coach, but for what it's worth I would trade watts for results any day of the week.
This is my thought as well.
Old 02-07-17, 10:09 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
December vs Feb is significant insofar as what you're up to training wise. Assuming you're doing roughly similar stuff, figure you're 1.5-2 cycles deep into base at this point versus being pretty fresh and/or coming off fun fall riding in December. That makes a difference. And your results don't suck. What was your FTP in like September when you still had race fitness?

Also like everyone else asked, what do your w/kg look like since you lost weight?
Old 02-07-17, 12:39 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's still Feb and today it's 80 degrees, can't complain, commute this AM, and PM some intervals most likely
3x6 @115%
Old 02-07-17, 12:53 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
It is always good to fire your coach every few years.
1 year is a bit soon.
that's a bit glib. this isn't European football, after all, where a manager who brings home a major trophy will still get canned
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
watts don't win races <repeat as often as necessary>
speed wins races.

other than talking w/ you coach (which it sounds like you've done), check with your w/kg, your VAM, and all the metrics that are actually related to getting across the line first.
and another one: elevation.

Did the OP live a mile above sea level when he started? If he lived at sea level then and is living a mile up now, there's going to be some differences.
Old 02-07-17, 01:12 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by echappist
that's a bit glib. this isn't European football, after all, where a manager who brings home a major trophy will still get canned
Using "fire" was glib. But transitioning is important.
Different coaches fit different levels of riders.
Old 02-07-17, 01:17 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Using "fire" was glib. But transitioning is important.
Different coaches fit different levels of riders.
it wasn't the firing part but changing for the sake of changing, which is quite the rage on the soccer pitches. The Jose Mourihno carousel comes to mind.

But i can def see you point on that when a rider's level has changed over the years.
Old 02-07-17, 01:21 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
But i can def see you point on that when a rider's level has changed over the years.
And if there hasn't been significant change over five years, then it would also be time to consider a new approach under a new coach.
Old 02-07-17, 01:48 PM
Doge

Kinda off topic/on topic.
Coach #1 is a friend and outstanding strength coach (former world champion body builder) and well known and successful crit rider. He was local and my 14 year old (then) son would train with him and ride with him. It was the perfect match.
My son moved from the beach to the mountains and the new focus will be track. Nothing about coach #1 is less than excellent, it is just that focus and location have changed.
Old 02-07-17, 03:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts

Did the OP live a mile above sea level when he started? If he lived at sea level then and is living a mile up now, there's going to be some differences.
@GMJ used to live in the south, Atlanta IIRC. George did you move to Denver in the last 6 months? That would explain a lot...
Old 02-07-17, 05:13 PM
GMJ

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
December vs Feb is significant insofar as what you're up to training wise. Assuming you're doing roughly similar stuff, figure you're 1.5-2 cycles deep into base at this point versus being pretty fresh and/or coming off fun fall riding in December. That makes a difference. And your results don't suck. What was your FTP in like September when you still had race fitness?

Also like everyone else asked, what do your w/kg look like since you lost weight?
Watts per kg went down, but slightly. I've lost roughly 4.5 kilos.

I lived in St. Louis first and then moved to Denver. I arrived in winter '14, so I had already acclimated by then.

Originally Posted by asgelle
And if there hasn't been significant change over five years, then it would also be time to consider a new approach under a new coach.
I haven't raced for five years, so I'm not in a position to fairly evaluate by that measure.

Originally Posted by TMonk
@GMJ used to live in the south, Atlanta IIRC. George did you move to Denver in the last 6 months? That would explain a lot...
Haha that's funny that you remember me. It's been a while.

I also did my 20min test on a climb and blew up out the gun. Testing another round tonight and doing it on a trainer.

I feel better just reading the comments. Since the only people I actively talk to about training are in the same training group, I didn't feel it was right to raise my concerns like I had done here. I didn't get a resounding yes to drop the coach, which is all I need to see that I just need to chill-out and put a more macro lens on the situation. Peaking mid-to-late summer for track nationals, so I got time.

Thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.