Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

High-end summer jersey brands?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-31-18, 06:27 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

I'm looking for some high quality summer jerseys and would welcome suggestions on what brands to look at.

I'd like to avoid the super stretchy, high lycra content corporate sponsor look and some of the garish patterns out there today. My preference is understated colorways and articulated patterns for proper fit.

Assos, Castelli, Capo, De Marchi, 7Mesh, Rapha... What other high-end brands are out there?

I've purchased a De Marchi Legarra and a 7Mesh G2. They are very nice.

The Rapha Pro Team Flyweight has a ridiculous "RAPHA" moniker on the sleeve.

Castelli and Capo don't have anything which really thrills me right now.

The Assos Fortoni and ss.grandprixjersey_evo8 are under consideration. Anyone have these? Are they true to size or should I size up.

What about Chpt III? The Forcibi is looks great but I don't suppose these will be on sale any time soon.

What other brands are out there?

-Tim-
Old 05-31-18, 08:39 AM
eric1971

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
A few that come to mind:

MAAP
Black Sheep
VOID
Pactimo (no personal experience)
Search and State
Old 05-31-18, 09:54 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I love my Pactimo. Understated, but tight as hell, great moisture transfer and no flapping. I can only wear it without embarrassment when I'm in my thin phase, which fortunately is in summer. Has to be tight to get the moisture transfer.
Old 05-31-18, 01:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Pactimo is good?

Some of their designs... yikes!
Old 05-31-18, 02:05 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Ale', MAAP (Rapha like expensive) Assos are three I am familiar with. Assos SS Cento is my favorite. I'm right between small and med. so I went with the med. Wonderful fit, no flapping and not uncomfortably tight.
Old 05-31-18, 05:09 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Dannyshane.com fabric is sublime. I have returned all the flyweight Rapha stuff because it doesn't come close.
Old 05-31-18, 05:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm looking for some high quality summer jerseys and would welcome suggestions on what brands to look at.

I'd like to avoid the super stretchy, high lycra content corporate sponsor look and some of the garish patterns out there today. My preference is understated colorways and articulated patterns for proper fit.

Assos, Castelli, Capo, De Marchi, 7Mesh, Rapha... What other high-end brands are out there?

I've purchased a De Marchi Legarra and a 7Mesh G2. They are very nice.

The Rapha Pro Team Flyweight has a ridiculous "RAPHA" moniker on the sleeve.

Castelli and Capo don't have anything which really thrills me right now.

The Assos Fortoni and ss.grandprixjersey_evo8 are under consideration. Anyone have these? Are they true to size or should I size up.

What about Chpt III? The Forcibi is looks great but I don't suppose these will be on sale any time soon.

What other brands are out there?

-Tim-
For more variety, I like to browse what's available overseas. I find the All4Cycling website has a lot more variety and non name-brand stuff than you find in the US. For you.. maybe look thru the PedalEd brand offerings?
https://www.all4cycling.com/shop/sho...ml?language=en
Old 05-31-18, 05:42 PM
Blaise88

Bikes: All City Mr Pink & Surly Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velocio lightweight jerseys are beautifully made and come in understated colors.
Old 05-31-18, 05:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Have you looked at Voler?
Old 05-31-18, 10:05 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by ddub
Ale', MAAP (Rapha like expensive) Assos are three I am familiar with. Assos SS Cento is my favorite. I'm right between small and med. so I went with the med. Wonderful fit, no flapping and not uncomfortably tight.
Is the SS Cento a summer jersey? I live in the deep south, Georgia USA and what some advertise as summer jerseys will cook you alive here.

Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
Dannyshane.com fabric is sublime. I have returned all the flyweight Rapha stuff because it doesn't come close.
See, this is what I'm talking about. I like these adjectives. Can you recommend a specific garment for summer?

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
dhb is Wiggle's house brand and IMO is competitive with other high end brand jerseys and bibs.
I assumed dhb was a lower end house brand and will give them a look.

Originally Posted by Blaise88
Velocio lightweight jerseys are beautifully made and come in understated colors.
This is nice and some of their designs are compelling. The Radiator jersey uses Polartec Delta. I have been wanting to try out a garment made with this. I am a huge fan of Polartec textiles and this brand definitely has my attention. Thank you!

Originally Posted by caloso
Have you looked at Voler?
I have not but I will. Can you recommend a summer jersey?

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-31-18 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-31-18, 10:14 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Caliber line from Voler looks like it might be what you are looking for. https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1T100PC
Old 05-31-18, 10:34 PM
chip1

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own both Voler and Danny Shane jerseys which I feel are top notch. Consider Danny Shane if you dig the design and are conscious about being eco-friendly with the materials they use, although I never felt the bamboo ash fabric being particularly cool in hot weather. They also fit racier than most brands IMO, with sleeves and neck being noticeably tighter than all of my other jerseys.

As for Voler I have the Black Label jersey in white which is one of my go-to summer jerseys, but like most white jerseys it's a little too see-through for my liking. I see this year's model doesn't have white, perhaps for this reason. Still made in US though!
Old 05-31-18, 10:43 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Caliber line from Voler looks like it might be what you are looking for. https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1T100PC
I just received this jersey from Voler and I am pleased with the quality. It is light weight mesh material, nice zipper, cut for typical beanpole biker body shape. It's a bit see through if that bothers you: https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1T200PN. It's a lot better than the few choices I found in the women's section at Performance. I like the meshlike jersey material for summer weather. The tight woven poly jerseys (I don't like the feel of Twin Six I've seen locally) don't breath as well.
Old 05-31-18, 11:06 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I'm really liking the Velocio Radiator jersey.
Old 05-31-18, 11:07 PM
MagicHour

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Assos ss cento and equipe are both summer weight, both have a snug race fit. I have the latest ss cento and if you hold the back up to the light it is pretty see through, they say you should wear a base layer with it. I haven’t actually had a chance to ride in this one yet, between the random weather and my work schedule unfortunately.
The voler caliber kit I have is nice too, obviously not as richly appointed as the Assos stuff but still very nice, breathable soft fabric also with a race fit, but the fabric has some stretch to it o doesn’t feel constrictive.

For sizing reference I’m 5’11” / 157# and wear a Medium in all the above-so true to size for me.
Old 06-01-18, 03:47 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
See, this is what I'm talking about. I like these adjectives. Can you recommend a specific garment for summer?
All jerseys have the same cut, I wear a Large in Rapha and that translates into a Large in Danny Shane. The designs are highly personal, but I have several. The Gex Performance Jersey in Tornado Red is a favourite of mine:

https://dannyshane.com/collections/c...ormance-jersey
Old 06-01-18, 09:10 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I own Danny Shane and rapha flyweight jerseys and the rapha works better in heat.
Old 06-01-18, 10:44 AM
Blaise88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm really liking the Velocio Radiator jersey.
I just placed an order for one! Velocio’s ES jersey is already one of my favorites, so I think this will be perfect for really hot days. I am also eyeing their Ultralight Bibs (the Fly Bibs are the most comfortable and practical bibs I’ve worn).
Old 06-01-18, 12:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I just placed an order for one! Velocio’s ES jersey is already one of my favorites, so I think this will be perfect for really hot days. I am also eyeing their Ultralight Bibs (the Fly Bibs are the most comfortable and practical bibs I’ve worn).
I'm racing tomorrow. If I make my goal time then I will treat myself to one of these.

Polartec fabrics are amazing.
Old 06-01-18, 12:30 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ss.grandprixjersey_evo8
was this named by the IT department?
Old 06-01-18, 12:30 PM
Blaise88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm racing tomorrow. If I make my goal time then I will treat myself to one of these.

Polartec fabrics are amazing.
Good luck!
Old 06-01-18, 01:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

While I love the idea of the mesh jerseys out there for summer heat, how do you all deal with sun protection? As you can pretty much see a lot thru these types of jerseys, it seems by default that the sun is likewise going right thru them. So, you can lather on sunscreen underneath, but is there any concern of staining and discoloration of the nice jersey from doing so? Are there materials or brands or the methods used to dye jerseys their colors that are known to be problematic or safe?
Alternatively, you could wear a base layer underneath, which might negatively impact the cooling effect that the jersey touts (and would be fairly visible thru the jersey as well)? I've typically stuck to lightest weight jerseys I can find that don't have mesh panels, but is this necessary?
Old 06-01-18, 02:28 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
You may not like the Rapha wording on the sleeve, fair enough.

But the coolest jerseys I own are the Rapha Souplesse Lightweight jerseys. I have three older ones with no logo and one of last year’s model which does say Rapha on the arm. Otherwise however they are just solid colored jerseys. I personally want bright colors (for visibility), so two are hot pink, one is teal. The only understated one is purple.

The fabric is ultra light and very breathable. The sleeves are made of a mesh but you can’t tell from a distance. Typical practical features: zipper pocket for a little cash, three rear pockets, full front zipper.

I get it that Rapha is the kit that people love to hate. But in triple digit temps, I’m not wearing any other jersey, period.
Old 06-01-18, 02:38 PM
Blaise88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
While I love the idea of the mesh jerseys out there for summer heat, how do you all deal with sun protection? As you can pretty much see a lot thru these types of jerseys, it seems by default that the sun is likewise going right thru them. So, you can lather on sunscreen underneath, but is there any concern of staining and discoloration of the nice jersey from doing so? Are there materials or brands or the methods used to dye jerseys their colors that are known to be problematic or safe?
Alternatively, you could wear a base layer underneath, which might negatively impact the cooling effect that the jersey touts (and would be fairly visible thru the jersey as well)? I've typically stuck to lightest weight jerseys I can find that don't have mesh panels, but is this necessary?
That’s a good question. I usually apply sunblock about 15 minutes before getting dressed (Neutrogena, I believe) and haven’t had issues with discoloration. This will be my first mesh jersey, though.
Old 06-01-18, 02:42 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts

That’s a good question. I usually apply sunblock about 15 minutes before getting dressed (Neutrogena, I believe) and haven’t had issues with discoloration. This will be my first mesh jersey, though.
I rarely wear sunblock, which I understand is stupid, but I hate the stuff.

Ive never been burned through the mesh on my jersey sleeves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.