Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What does it mean to be a good 'Bike Handler'

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-20, 09:49 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts

I see this term a fair amount, but not sure what it means. Obviously staying upright is an important component of cycling, but it goes beyond that. I'm curious (genuinely) by what makes someone a good bike handler (and what makes a person get better at it - it's not like just putting in the miles).
Old 12-04-20, 10:28 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Comfortable riding in different positions--drops, hoods, standing, sprinting off saddle, sprint in hoods, descending, riding with one hand no hands, road awareness...just a few that come to mind.

More advanced skills--bunny hopping, sliding/drifting on gravel, recovering from wheel contact, taking good lines. MTB skills a bit different animal. I have pretty good road handling skills, but get me on a single track and I realize just how much I don't know how to do, or don't have the confidence/guts to do it.

Edit: I would also add riding in close quarters in a group, holding your line, riding on wet roads, on snow

Last edited by mcours2006; 12-04-20 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-04-20, 10:52 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I think it might be as simple as you mentioned, being able to stay upright under various conditions. I have noticed that guys who truly have this ability are able to do it whether riding road, track or dirt. There is a rider in the Seattle area who was extremely talented on the road. First time I saw him on the track, I could tell he was going to be very competitive. Years later now, he has several Rainbow Jerseys from some of the velodrome mass start events. Truly gifted riders, you can just tell.
Old 12-04-20, 11:26 AM
crowbike

Bikes: 2023 Cervelo Soloist 2007 Specialized Tricross 2017 Colnago CRS 2001 Schwinn Homegrown

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 22 Posts
Regardless of your handling skills, the most important thing is to ride within your abilities.
Old 12-04-20, 11:32 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
mcours2006 nailed it. For a standout example, watch a few YouTubes of Sagan.

The guys with the mtn bike background do seem to start ahead of the curve. But we need to be trained by roadies - to hold a line, ride smoothy, not bunnyhop stuff but call it out...

A couple years ago on big (60+) fast group ride, the rider in front of me braked quickly. I darted right... to avoid the collision - off the shoulder, through the drainage ditch (luckily not a hard V), across a front yard, across a gravel driveway, across part of the next yard... back onto the road. Three guys (pros) hanging around off the back, laughed their assess off and pulled me back to the pack. One the guys commented "Mountain biker, huh?"
Old 12-04-20, 11:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Like a lot of terms, it depends on the context the person using it is speaking of.

Let's not pigeon hole this term to something that has us looking it up on our cell phones and boasting our greatness when we point out to another that they used it incorrectly.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-04-20, 02:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I think it might be as simple as you mentioned, being able to stay upright under various conditions.
I noticed that I tend to pass people on twisty descents on pavement. I think I'm middle of the pack for bike handling skills, maybe a little naive about trusting myself and my gear too much. But I think handling means more than just not crashing, it means being able to make the bike do what you want.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-04-20, 03:25 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Being able to hold a steady line while drafting/reaching for a water bottle/jamming out of the saddle/checking behind/etc.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-04-20, 03:32 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
To me it's knowing what you need/want to do with your bike and being able to do it.
Old 12-04-20, 04:25 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by crowbike
Regardless of your handling skills, the most important thing is to ride within your abilities.
I disagree. If this were the case, then you'd never get any better than the day you first rode a bike at 4 mph. Riding "slightly" above your abilities, or your comfort zone, is how you grow and get better. Even if you have to fall, crash, bonk, or get dropped. You learn more from your mistakes, than from your successes.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 12-04-20, 04:29 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Comfortable riding in different positions--drops, hoods, standing, sprinting off saddle, sprint in hoods, descending, riding with one hand no hands, road awareness...just a few that come to mind.

More advanced skills--bunny hopping, sliding/drifting on gravel, recovering from wheel contact, taking good lines. MTB skills a bit different animal. I have pretty good road handling skills, but get me on a single track and I realize just how much I don't know how to do, or don't have the confidence/guts to do it.

Edit: I would also add riding in close quarters in a group, holding your line, riding on wet roads, on snow
Knowing how to fall/bail is also a skill worth noting.
Likes For ryan_rides:
Old 12-04-20, 05:52 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
Sure, but it's not a skill that one practices on a regular basis.

Having fallen a few times myself while riding on snow and ice, I've learned that when it does happens, and it happens pretty quickly, I just hang on to my handlebar and keep clipped in. Seems to work better than flailing arms and legs in an attempt to brace the impact.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 12-04-20, 06:49 PM
roth rothar

Bikes: Raleigh Technium, Cannodale SR600,Trek 520, Specialized Rock Hopper, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
This guy seems to know a thing or two:
Old 12-04-20, 06:55 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Sure, but it's not a skill that one practices on a regular basis. Having fallen a few times myself while riding on snow and ice, I've learned that when it does happens, and it happens pretty quickly, I just hang on to my handlebar and keep clipped in. Seems to work better than flailing arms and legs in an attempt to brace the impact.
​​​​​​​I get ready for cross country ski season by lining the floor with pillows, falling awkwardly, then trying to get up by doing a pushup with my legs twisted into a pretzel. What I've learned from practicing is that pride is overrated.
Old 12-04-20, 07:16 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Yeah but who wants to practice that?
Old 12-05-20, 12:23 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,597 Times in 2,905 Posts
Always thought good handling was being able to head check or do the farmer blow and not swerve.

Actually it’s being able to move and respond fluidly when riding with a group when pace lining or doing echelon or riding in a bunch. Not to mention avoiding road hazards at the last second with a quick maneuver.

Old 12-05-20, 07:35 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Sometimes things happen so fast it seems like a fluke and not skill. Case in point last week I was descending a mountain road at 30 mph and did not see a rock in the shadows and clipped it with my rear 25mm touring tire. My back end kicked out a several inches to my left and my rear tire lost road contact for a brief second but I regained my balance. It was not skill but gravity and inertia that kept me from going down. Bigger rock and I am likely going down hard. Can't say I am a skilled cyclist but I have had similar instances over the years where I stayed upright when I could have easily had a serious crash.
Old 12-05-20, 10:07 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Not to mention avoiding road hazards at the last second with a quick maneuver.
Even better is to learn to ride with your vision on the horizon and use your peripheral vision for close items. Too many riders stare at the wheel in front of them or the road 6 ft ahead. Good vision eliminates or at least reduces the need for sudden maneuvers.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 12-05-20, 10:23 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
I see this term a fair amount, but not sure what it means. Obviously staying upright is an important component of cycling, but it goes beyond that. I'm curious (genuinely) by what makes someone a good bike handler (and what makes a person get better at it - it's not like just putting in the miles).
If you seriously want to know what it means you should find a pro rider and ask him/her as only they would really know.
Old 12-05-20, 10:40 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Resiliance
Nimbleness
Control
Adaptability

Consider someone who can clear an obstacle course, although slowly, clumsily, in the way and impeding others - versus someone who can clear the same course flowing smoothly, quickly, powerfully, ala parkour.

Now imagine the bicycle versions of those same two scenarios.

The ability to react and respond to unpredictable events and surprises with composure and finesse.

Some people when they need something have to stop, get off the bike, get half undressed, fumble around, get back on the bike.

Other people take off their jacket, roll it, pocket it, pulling out the clif bar and eating it, all without missing a pedal stroke or wobbling in the least, elbow to elbow with their mates, maybe even reacting to a hole and hopping the bike over it one handed and surprised.

Last edited by nycphotography; 12-05-20 at 10:45 AM.
Likes For nycphotography:
Old 12-05-20, 11:10 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 12-05-20, 11:34 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I agree with most already mentioned here. I'm always riding in traffic and sometimes it can be hectic in very heavy traffic without a shoulder/bike lane. I do consider myself a very good bike handler after >30-years of riding. One of the most important things one must do to become a good bike handler is to always be looking out for and anticipating the unforeseen, i.e. be a Defensive Rider.

When I'm riding, my eyes are all over the place, including in my mirror. I can spot a potential Right Hook, when someone is coming up from behind me and planning to make a right turn in front of me without a turn signal; it doesn't happen often, but often enough where I'm pretty good at spotting those drivers.

Another important thing to becoming a good bike handler is to always critique your close calls and/or things you've done that were stupid. You must be brutally honest with yourself and be willing to admit when something you've done was a mistake, regardless if it's a minor mistake or a huge boneheaded mistake. Pilots are always critiquing their actions, we cyclists should adopt that same mindset, after all, we do have the most to lose.

It's funny how Man's law is usually in direct contradiction to Nature's law. That's one of my weaknesses. I've been hit by cars four times. In a couple of them, as I reflect back, I think I could have totally avoided those collisions, but since I was in the Right WRT Man's law, I was kind of boneheaded and took evasive action a little too late, which was helpful in preventing a very bad thing, but there was still a collision. Hopefully next time I won't be so hardheaded and try and assert my legal right of way, because Nature's law says get out of the way. In our paradigm, Might doesn't make Right -- but it does in Nature's paradigm
Likes For work4bike:
Old 12-05-20, 01:41 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Yeah but who wants to practice that?
I believe we can program ourselves to take appropriate action, like holding onto the bars and staying clipped, as mcours2006 mentioned above. The first time I went down on the road, I did just as he did, because I'd learned that's what you do. Pressing my helmet into the road surface was a reaction to road rash prevention, probably not a pre-learned behavior.
Old 12-05-20, 02:04 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I get ready for cross country ski season by lining the floor with pillows, falling awkwardly, then trying to get up by doing a pushup with my legs twisted into a pretzel. What I've learned from practicing is that pride is overrated.
Interesting. For DH off-season I used a slide board. I believe the one I have is 8' or 10', though the stops are adjustable; for DH GS training you definitely want plenty of 'hold time' and a hard push. I no longer race DH GS though, face planting a salted, rock hard trenched-up course hurts too much, and all it takes is for a ski tip to be off by 1/2" on the wrong side of a gate. I just do the dollar runs at ski areas for fun, they're not steep enough and the gates are too close and courses too short and technical to pick up any real speed. Still use the slide board on occasion, it's kinda relaxing actually. Easy to roll up and put away over winter. Used one for 30 years ever since I was a teenager and played ice hockey. (I preferred DH skiing, but didn't live anywhere near a mountain.)
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 12-05-20, 02:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Sometimes things happen so fast it seems like a fluke and not skill. Case in point last week I was descending a mountain road at 30 mph and did not see a rock in the shadows and clipped it with my rear 25mm touring tire. My back end kicked out a several inches to my left and my rear tire lost road contact for a brief second but I regained my balance. It was not skill but gravity and inertia that kept me from going down. Bigger rock and I am likely going down hard. Can't say I am a skilled cyclist but I have had similar instances over the years where I stayed upright when I could have easily had a serious crash.
You didn't realize it, but you flicked your front wheel in the direction of the skid, just like you'd do in a car. The first time I had a serious fishtail with our tandem on a slick road, I recovered after maybe 3 excursions, even though I'd never done that before. Driving and motorcycling near the limits of adhesion are good practice. I think those skills translate. I've had other similar rock and flat tire incidents, all recovered.

The time I dropped it, I was doing a fast descent on the shoulder when I saw a ped all dressed in black ahead me, maybe 100 yds. There was a 2" lip between the shoulder and the road. My bunny hop wasn't timed right and I think my rear wheel caught the lip. Not Sagan..

Speaking of bunny hopping and bike handling. Years ago I was doing the Mt. Baker road climb. The Forest Service was installing culverts under the road, maybe 20 or so, with several hundred yards between them. They'd taken out maybe 15' of pavement and left deep loose gravel at each one, to be repaved later. I was descending and slowing way down for each gravel section, when I was passed by some young racer boys who were bunny hopping the gravel at speed. So I started doing the same thing, chasing them. It was fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.