Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer solo rides to group rides, and why?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you prefer solo rides to group rides, and why?

Old 03-12-21, 02:17 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Solo for various reasons. I love the outdoors with the sights, sounds and smells. I also prefer trails over roads but which are mostly not suitable for fast group rides. And I also often stop and take pictures. For me cycling is not so much about the sport but mental recreation. I love to cruise along and discover new trails or routes and the scenery along the way. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. And on weekends I am often on the bike for a whole day.
Likes For Harhir:
Old 03-12-21, 02:41 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Well said. Treating a bike ride as an explorational tour and not a regimented contest is where it is at for me.

Originally Posted by Harhir
Solo for various reasons. I love the outdoors with the sights, sounds and smells. I also prefer trails over roads but which are mostly not suitable for fast group rides. And I also often stop and take pictures. For me cycling is not so much about the sport but mental recreation. I love to cruise along and discover new trails or routes and the scenery along the way. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. And on weekends I am often on the bike for a whole day.
Old 03-12-21, 03:14 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Well said. Treating a bike ride as an explorational tour and not a regimented contest is where it is at for me.
Are you under the impression that every ride with someone else is a race?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-12-21, 03:50 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
To me, being in a tight pack where you are moving down the road faster, with less effort, than you can by yourself is one of the magical experiences of cycling.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

When everyone in the group is working together and riding well, as you say, it's magic. But if one person starts riding like a squirrel, the magic disappears pretty quickly. That's when I sit up and let them go, sadly.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-12-21, 05:43 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
You already know the answer. It depends.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Are you under the impression that every ride with someone else is a race?
Old 03-12-21, 10:25 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

When everyone in the group is working together and riding well, as you say, it's magic. But if one person starts riding like a squirrel, the magic disappears pretty quickly. That's when I sit up and let them go, sadly.
Probably one of the reasons that when I do ride in a group, which isn't that often, I like to be either in the front just behind the ride leader or in the very back. Each is fine. I probably prefer being in the back. Less problems.
Old 03-13-21, 01:49 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
definitely prefer being alone out there. it's my time and more or less my therapy. love it SOLO
Old 03-15-21, 08:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
The best group rides were the rides I did with my sons, and now my grand sons. To get my sons interested in cycling, most of our early rides were to the ice cream store. It did get them interested in cycling, and two of them raced some. Now my family has at least 12 bikes of many different types.
Old 03-15-21, 01:57 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I prefer riding in a group. I almost always ride solo. I'm another one who wants to go faster than my local club's slowest group, but I can't ride as fast as the next group, and they have a no-drop rule.

30-40 years ago, I rode with a group that was open to anyone, but it was up to each of us to keep up. I was SO proud of myself the first time I got to the restaurant in time for lunch.
Likes For philbob57: