Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fitness and alcohol consumption

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-04-21, 07:09 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts

https://www.outsideonline.com/health...ohol-research/

While the study was focused on runners I can see a relationship to cyclying as it pertains to alcohol consumption. I'am a moderate kind of guy and a couple of beers is part of a full happy life. I don't think I get any dispensation for a hard day on the bike but if it was celebrating some hard won goal well yeah. So the question is do hard efforts offset excessive consumption. Or perhaps the really hard efforts are so infrequent that it does not matter. I need a drink.

"Among heavy-drinking men (though not women), the fittest were the least likely to exhibit signs of dependence. This fits with the idea that their exercise habits are filling some of the psychological space that alcohol might otherwise fill on its own."
Likes For popeye:
Old 09-04-21, 07:21 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I’m a wine binge drinker, no lie.
Old 09-04-21, 08:00 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
I have cut back from moderate, regular, drinking to the occasional drink because I’m 65 years old with five decades of endurance sports on my leathery old heart and I don’t want to go into a-fib and have a stroke. Big efforts on the bike only make me want to hydrate, eat, and sleep. Nothing makes me want alcohol more than a hard day (or a few days and nights) of sailing.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-04-21, 08:26 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
I could prob bike better if I drank less. Tho I do enjoying microdosing psilocybin before rides to keep me from getting bored. I've always been fit as far as strength and conditioning goes but my build isn't primo for cycling. Booze is just carbs and poison its not that bad.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 09-04-21, 09:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts

Why Fitter People Drink More Alcohol

This may be true for an overall group, but it sure seems like an odd concept to accept at a singular level.

I stopped drinking 2ish years ago...maybe 3? I can't remember when. Regardless of when, I am healthier and in better cycling condition than before. It isnt even close.
...but I also religiously track all calories in and out which clearly has a significant impact on the net result.

It's interesting a conclusion can be made with any sort of certainty, given how dynamic each person's lifestyle and choice are.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-04-21, 10:03 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
The one year I was sober while racing cars I basically smoked everybody.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 09-05-21, 04:25 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
As I sit here wondering if yesterday’s 3 drinks is going to screw my plans for a 75 mile mixed terrain ride today I am comforted reading that I fall in the light drinker category (2-4 drinks per week). I sometimes stress over the fact that I enjoy alcohol when I do but I take comfort in knowing that I’m too concerned about weight gain and addiction to drink any more.
Old 09-05-21, 04:29 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
it all comes down to what you rationalize/realize as performance on any given ride/day...or don't. repeat/modify as necessary.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-05-21, 09:32 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
It's not all bad, alky is a great muscle relaxer. Perhaps that's why it is popular with athletes.
Old 09-05-21, 11:33 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I am 75. In college I was a football (QB) and baseball (SS) player. I was serious and I did not drink except for the Saturday post-game frat party. These days I am good for 3-5 oz of whiskey every night. Often with a cigar as I watch the world go by from my porch. Now I'm serious about enjoying my life.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-06-21, 05:52 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
when I was younger, I drank a lot of alcohol with friends. Then, as I got older, not so much. Recently, I've been drinking beer once a month when I go visit my brother. When I get in the mood, I buy a 12 pack at the convenient store, just for fun, and listen to Post Malone songs.

Old 09-06-21, 03:24 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye

"Among heavy-drinking men (though not women), the fittest were the least likely to exhibit signs of dependence. This fits with the idea that their exercise habits are filling some of the psychological space that alcohol might otherwise fill on its own."
I’ve got room in my life for both drinking and cycling.
Old 09-06-21, 04:14 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I’ve got room in my life for both drinking and cycling.
Yup. I have space for other sporting activities, too.

The survey doesn’t appear to mention the social aspect of both athletic activities, and alcohol. Most of the times I’ve drank to excess in my adult years have been with teammates, often after games/training. It’s probably no coincidence that I’m currently the heaviest I’ve ever been, after team/group sports were effectively banned for a year.
Likes For Leinster: