Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy 10sp Ergo shifter rebuild

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-21, 01:23 PM
Paniolo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

On my right side Campy 10 speed Ergo shifter the finger shift lever (under the brake lever) when upshifting to the nest bigger cog on the cassette would occasionally jam. I could free it by either using the thumb shifter to move to a smaller cog then back up and it would work fine. Progressively got more frequent, and above method worked less often so I could usually free it by manually pulling on the cable. Assumed it the G springs had broken and was jamming the mechanism. Finally got around to tearing down and putting new G springs in this weekend. But the old G springs and all other internal components had no obvious breakage or visible issues. Since I had them on hand, I replaced the G Springs, the G spring carrier and the thumb button return spring and reassembled the shifter.

Reassembled everything and it shifted fine for over 100 miles but last night the issue started reoccurring. Any suggestions on what is causing this?

btw - I used minimal grease in the reassembly. A small dab on the G Springs to hold them in place and another small dab on the inside of the thumb return spring where it nests in the carrier.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Paniolo; 09-22-21 at 01:28 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-22-21, 03:03 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Is the hood getting twisted and ending up in the opening on the bottom of the body? Make sure the tab on bottom of the hood is in the slot on the bottom of the shifter. You'll generally have cut a little sliver of bar tape off to open up that slot.
Old 09-23-21, 09:58 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Interesting, all I can offer is I once used a sticky lube Shimano SP-41 and had some trouble until replaced with light lithium, please post when you get it figured out.
Old 09-23-21, 12:06 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 904 Times in 383 Posts
When I've rebuilt my ergos, I used park grease on everything. Had no issues.