Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10-speed shifter with 9-speed rear derailleur, 9-speed cassette

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-21, 09:17 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts

10-speed Deore M6000 shifter is available at a good price.

Will it work with 9-speed MTB rear derailleur & 9-speed cassette (both Shimano)?
Will using SRAM or Microshift help?
Old 09-25-21, 09:20 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
No and no. Shifter has to match the cassette.
Old 09-25-21, 12:01 PM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Yeah. The shift indexes of a 9 speed are different to a 10 speed. I now have a 9 speed rear derailleur running with a 10 speed shifter and besides not being able to reach the extreme rings, it also doesn't shift the middle rings well. But I'm waiting for a replacement so I'd rather ride with 10 out of 20 gears on my foldie.
Old 09-25-21, 12:39 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Search this link for “alternate cable routing”

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/drivetrain-mixing.shtml
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 09-25-21, 02:52 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
OP: What specific components do you have? What are you trying to make work together?
Old 09-25-21, 07:25 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
The main problem you have is 10 speed mtb shifters pull a lot more cable (3.4mm) to move the RD less distance than traditional 9 speed shifters (2.5mm) pull to move the RD more. Alternate cabling will only give you a maximum of 10 percent change, depending on which way you route it, so even if you routed the cable around the corner and down the block you won't get there.

But if you are intent on mixing components, read this before you throw your money away...

Science Behind the Magic | Drivetrain Compatibility ? Art's SLO Cyclery

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-26-21, 02:16 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
No and no. Shifter has to match the cassette.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Sardines
Yeah. The shift indexes of a 9 speed are different to a 10 speed. I now have a 9 speed rear derailleur running with a 10 speed shifter and besides not being able to reach the extreme rings, it also doesn't shift the middle rings well. But I'm waiting for a replacement so I'd rather ride with 10 out of 20 gears on my foldie.
Thanks

Originally Posted by jccaclimber
Search this link for “alternate cable routing”

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/drivetrain-mixing.shtml
Thanks

Originally Posted by cxwrench
OP: What specific components do you have? What are you trying to make work together?
None. Bike is currently 7-speed. Upgrading front to 3x.
Came across a good deal for a Deore 10-speed shifter and wondered if it could be used with 9-speed components. 10-speed derailleur and cassette are relatively expensive and the additional gear is of little use to me.

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The main problem you have is 10 speed mtb shifters pull a lot more cable (3.4mm) to move the RD less distance than traditional 9 speed shifters (2.5mm) pull to move the RD more. Alternate cabling will only give you a maximum of 10 percent change, depending on which way you route it, so even if you routed the cable around the corner and down the block you won't get there.

But if you are intent on mixing components, read this before you throw your money away...

Science Behind the Magic | Drivetrain Compatibility ? Art's SLO Cyclery

John
Thanks. Useful link.
Old 09-27-21, 08:54 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by anga
Thanks

None. Bike is currently 7-speed. Upgrading front to 3x.
Came across a good deal for a Deore 10-speed shifter and wondered if it could be used with 9-speed components. 10-speed derailleur and cassette are relatively expensive and the additional gear is of little use to me.

I did this upgrade on a bike and at first I used 9 of 10 cogs with 10sp spacing on a 7sp freehub and that worked pretty well but that was with a matching rear derailleur. But after a very short time I decided to rebuild the wheel with a 10sp compatible freehub. My 10sp Deore shifter was Dynasys, which used an entirely different pull ratio than the prior stuff, but I thought I saw at some point that they went back to more standard pull ratios. In any case though it will be different than 9sp.

I just looked at my upgrade spreadsheet. The Deore M591 shifters cost $24, the XT M786 derailleur was $60 and the HG-62 cassette was $30. Not exactly break the bank expensive, but I also remember scouring the internet for a month looking for bargains. I don't know if these particular parts are still available but when I bought them they were current, and note they are all from different lines but Shimano was all cross compatible at that point in time. This was 7 years ago and this bike was my every day commuter and it still runs like it is brand new!
Old 09-27-21, 09:41 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
From my experience, speed upgrade are made to add an additional cog, or two, and be able to keep the same gapping, or to keep the same range, but improve the gapping.

With a 3x setup, you can probably find the range with fewer cogs if you intend to use all 3 chainrings on a typical ride. If your intend is to have a setup where you are basically riding a 2x with the inner ring being an occasional bailout that is not used much, them more cogs can be beneficial.

A 7 speed freehub limits your options. Basically a 7 speed setup or an 8 of 9, or 9 of 10. There is a thread on BF where some members have been able to fit a 10 speed cassette on a 7 speed freehub by hanging the 1st and 10th position off each end and using a longer threaded lockring.

Regardless, you should first determine where your bike fits in long term. If it is going to be replaced in foreseeable future, maybe just stick with what you have and wait it out. If you want to use it long term, the expense factor is not as important, but you’ll first need to assess your freehub before just buying parts.

John
Old 09-27-21, 08:46 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
9 speed shimano compatible rear shifters are really pretty commonplace, so getting the right part is kind of a non problem.