Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain jumping when stop pedalling (after first service)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-21, 08:10 AM
booksandbikes17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi - relative newbie to bikes here.

My bike went it for it's first service last weekend, and on it's first ride out I noticed that the chain seems to be going slack when I stop pedalling.

I've tried replicating it at home, but cannot post the video as I have not made enough posts. 😪 Also when I move the pedals backward, it doesn't sound smooth, it sounds a bit 'scrapey' like there is grit in there.

Edited to add: When I stop pedalling the cassette stops moving, which I think is normal?

Any idea what is happening here? From what I have googled, it is a problem with the freehub but it was working fine before I took it in to be serviced. I didn't think they touched the freehub on a first service anyway.....I thought they just adjusted cable tension, gears and brakes etc?? The bike is only a few months old, and regularly cleaned and lubed.

Any advice appreciated. I know I will probably have to bring it back to the same place, but a bit hesitant as it didn't have this problem before it went in there.

Thanks
Ulrika

Last edited by booksandbikes17; 09-26-21 at 08:12 AM. Reason: More info
Old 09-26-21, 09:50 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Well it should be easy enough to determine if the free-hub is dragging. Just take the wheel off the bike and give it a spin.

If they did remove the free hub, the issue could be that they did not properly seat a seal when putting it back on and that is causing extra drag.
Old 09-26-21, 12:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
If I have issues with anything that someone else did, I almost always go back to them and let them resolve it.

If they don't, then I'll know a little more about whether I'd ever want to use them again.
Likes For Iride01: