Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Santa Ana River Trail-Less safe now ?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Santa Ana River Trail-Less safe now ?

Old 02-14-18, 04:27 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
30 day free motel. I wonder how that will work. One person gets a room for 30 days and lets half a dozen others stay too, when that 30 days runs out maybe they do it again with somebody else's voucher.
I wonder if the vouchers are transferrable and what the value is on the market? If vouchers are connected to an identifiable recipient, what if the recipient doesn't have a proof-positive ID?

Would the County pay for the clean-up of those motels?
Old 02-15-18, 09:41 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
I wonder if the vouchers are transferrable and what the value is on the market? If vouchers are connected to an identifiable recipient, what if the recipient doesn't have a proof-positive ID?

Would the County pay for the clean-up of those motels?
Transferable... like sell a 30 day motel voucher for 50 cents on the dollar... and buy about $1,500 worth of dope.....
Just hit the lotto........
Old 02-15-18, 10:24 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Transferable... like sell a 30 day motel voucher for 50 cents on the dollar... and buy about $1,500 worth of dope.....
Just hit the lotto........
According to OC Register articles the vouchers are weekly, renewable for up to 30 days. But motels have their own policies of course, one guy couldn't get in because his California ID card was expired. Obviously an expiration date doesn't change who someone is, I'm guessing whatever motel that was isn't too keen on having a bunch of new "guests" from the river. And once these people are in motels do they all of a sudden have tenants "rights" where a lengthy eviction process must be followed if they don't move out?

These are all potential problems, but I still give the judge credit for forcing a quick resolution to the SART situation rather than just issuing an injunction tying everyone's hands. He's trying to move things forward on the SART, but he can't solve the whole homeless problem himself.
Old 02-15-18, 10:30 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif

And once these people are in motels do they all of a sudden have tenants "rights" where a lengthy eviction process must be followed if they don't move out?

These are all potential problems, but I still give the judge credit for forcing a quick resolution to the SART situation rather than just issuing an injunction tying everyone's hands. He's trying to move things forward on the SART, but he can't solve the whole homeless problem himself.
Motel proprietors operate by different laws-- in the absence of payment the proprietor calls the police and they pick up the persons belongings and deposit them on the sidewalk... no unlawful detainer required.
Old 02-15-18, 11:45 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Motel proprietors operate by different laws-- in the absence of payment the proprietor calls the police and they pick up the persons belongings and deposit them on the sidewalk... no unlawful detainer required.
Yes except that there are a whole slew of homeless SJWs with lawyers who might insert themselves into a routine proceeding to stop it. If I were a motel proprietor, I'd be worried about this.
Old 02-15-18, 11:50 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
400 30 day vouchers = about $800,000. No?
I used to travel more than now, but I stopped staying at Motel 6 because all they required was a drivers license to get a room, and one crack addict would have a DL, and then let half a dozen others into same room.
So at least a Best Western needs a credit card from you to get a room.... no crack addicts there.
How would you like to stay in a room with 15 year old daughter with crack addicts next to you, going in and out of room all night? Wondering around in the parking lot.
Old 02-15-18, 08:22 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 985 Posts
400 30 day vouchers = about $800,000. No?
I used to travel more than now, but I stopped staying at Motel 6 because all they required was a drivers license to get a room, and one crack addict would have a DL, and then let half a dozen others into same room.
So at least a Best Western needs a credit card from you to get a room.... no crack addicts there.
How would you like to stay in a room with 15 year old daughter with crack addicts next to you, going in and out of room all night? Wondering around in the parking lot.
Math correction: 400 vouchers x 30 nights x $100 per night = $1,200,000

I thought my idea was pretty conservative, putting them in housing for 6 months and keeping on them with intensive oversight to get a job, get out of the expensive Los Angeles area, just get some direction in their life. Carter gives them 30 days, which I don't think is long enough to solve anyone's issues. They'll either end up back on the street or they'll get another (then another, then another . . . ) 30 days of vouchers.
Old 02-15-18, 08:37 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
The whole thing could've been avoided had the OCSD enforced the no camping ordinances from the git-go.
Jon
Old 02-15-18, 08:57 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
On my last few rides down to Bolsa Chica there seems to be an increase in the amount of homeless hanging around. Some of them may have been transplants from the SART encampments.
Old 02-15-18, 08:57 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Jon T
The whole thing could've been avoided had the OCSD enforced the no camping ordinances from the git-go.
Jon
An unintended homeless encampment but shows how cheaply providing for the homeless can be when regulations are thrown out the window... not even a porta potty. But then, things probably could be a lot cheaper still if society simply provided free alcohol and drugs. As a society, we want to do more than many of the recipients are willing to accept if it means buying into the system and living by the rules we live by-- which, is pretty much why... I don't mind throwing my money at the problem (because it makes me feel better that we tried) but, I don't expect any of it to make a dimes worth of difference.
Old 02-16-18, 07:42 AM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
On my last few rides down to Bolsa Chica there seems to be an increase in the amount of homeless hanging around. Some of them may have been transplants from the SART encampments.
Do you mean Bolsa Chica and PCH? Or Bolsa Chica near Edinger?

If its Edinger, then that is at the U.S. Ammunition bunkers, right? There's lots of land there, must be acres and acres.
Old 02-16-18, 08:46 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Do you mean Bolsa Chica and PCH? Or Bolsa Chica near Edinger?

If its Edinger, then that is at the U.S. Ammunition bunkers, right? There's lots of land there, must be acres and acres.
They're not going to be setting up camp on the Seal Beach Naval Weapons station - the Navy would take care of that situation immediately! Or, since TmT lives in Los Alamitos, (s)he means the Sunset Beach/northern Bolsa Chica State Beach area, where Warner meets PCH. It does seem like the number of homeless in that area has increased in the last few years. Sunset Beach is a strange place, with dirt poor welfare folks living in 80 year-old ramshackle 500 sq ft bungalows next door to big multi-million dollar beach homes.
Old 02-16-18, 09:07 AM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by skidder
They're not going to be setting up camp on the Seal Beach Naval Weapons station - the Navy would take care of that situation immediately! Or, since TmT lives in Los Alamitos, (s)he means the Sunset Beach/northern Bolsa Chica State Beach area, where Warner meets PCH. It does seem like the number of homeless in that area has increased in the last few years. Sunset Beach is a strange place, with dirt poor welfare folks living in 80 year-old ramshackle 500 sq ft bungalows next door to big multi-million dollar beach homes.
One actress, Sandra Bullock used to live in Sunset Beach.
Old 02-16-18, 09:39 AM
TakingMyTime

I've been seeing an increase in the homeless around PCH and Warner. This would be the southern most section of Bolsa Chica. They've been congregating around the southern most restrooms. There was actually a Parks Dept truck there dispersing the crowd the other day.

For the record, from Seal Beach going north... Surfside - Sunset Beach - Bolsa Chica - Huntington
Old 02-16-18, 11:15 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I've been seeing an increase in the homeless around PCH and Warner. This would be the southern most section of Bolsa Chica. They've been congregating around the southern most restrooms. There was actually a Parks Dept truck there dispersing the crowd the other day.

For the record, from Seal Beach going north... Surfside - Sunset Beach - Bolsa Chica - Huntington
For the record, Huntington is SOUTH of Seal Beach.
Old 02-16-18, 03:48 PM
Garfield Cat

North becomes South?

Maybe its upside down, like the Diana Ross lyrics:

Upside down
Boy, you turn me
Inside out
And round and round
Upside down
Boy, you turn me
Inside out
And round and round
Old 02-16-18, 04:15 PM
chevrolegs

Bikes: Santa Cruz Bronson, Look 464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just rode it the other day and seems like the majority of the homeless are no longer in the Santa Ana and Fountain Valley part of the river bed. The Anaheim portion by the stadium still has a lot, but not as many as it did a couple months ago.
Old 02-16-18, 04:45 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
PRECISELY! Their inaction is going to cost us, the taxpaying public, a fortune that didn't need to be spent.

Boot 10 people from the trail, nobody cares. Boot 2,000 and suddenly the SJWs have a cause celebre.

I'm pretty sure I'll be riding north on SART from the beach to Tustin tomorrow around mid-day. I wonder how it will be.
Old 02-16-18, 05:12 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

That's the Bolsa Chica afternoon Group, same guys same time of day.

The homeless are appearing all along the PCH beach path. They sleep on the beach side of the brick wall through HB, on the sand through dog beach, hang out at the restrooms all the way to Warner. I see them at least 3 days every week during the morning and afternoon commute......I have noticed that they're are to increasing over the past few months.
Old 02-16-18, 05:57 PM
McBTC

Now I get it... Laguna Beach has a non-smoking ordinance. You're not allowed to smoke outdoors. Obviously, it's aimed at those who want to make the beach their home. My guess is the city is banking on the idea that the ACLU won't sue the city again based on the rights of the homeless to smoke cigarettes outdoors.
Old 02-16-18, 07:09 PM
TakingMyTime

D'oh! No wonder I get lost so much.
Old 02-16-18, 08:42 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You lost my tourism dollars. I tour. I'll never do this trail, looks like it sucks. Big time.

Not trying to offend anyone, I'm an old guy with money to spend. I enjoy trails through populated places, especially with breweries.

I'll restate: not trying to piss off the great local riders. Just hope someone in your city/county/state government reads this.

Trail got breweries? Love beer. Gots $$ to spend. I'll go elsewhere. From MO. I can travel wherever I want.
Old 02-17-18, 09:10 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by jonc123
You lost my tourism dollars. I tour. I'll never do this trail, looks like it sucks. Big time.

Not trying to offend anyone, I'm an old guy with money to spend. I enjoy trails through populated places, especially with breweries.

I'll restate: not trying to piss off the great local riders. Just hope someone in your city/county/state government reads this.

Trail got breweries? Love beer. Gots $$ to spend. I'll go elsewhere. From MO. I can travel wherever I want.
Its not that bad in the Orange County, CA area. The homeless are only in certain areas, and they aren't in large groups (except that section of the SART trail next to Angel Stadium which is being cleared out). The bigger problem is just this is an urban environment so lots of cars, people, traffic of all kinds.

And now for geography: Starting at the HB Pier and going north on PCH you go by the Bolsa Chica State Beach/Bolsa Chica wetlands, the intersection of PCH and Warner, Sunset Beach (actually a section of the City of Huntington Beach), Surfside (actually part of Seal Beach), over the Alamitos Bay Bridge and through the Seal beach Naval Weapons Center, the corner of PCH and Seal Beach Blvd, through Seal Beach, then over the San Gabriel River Channel into the City of Long Beach.
Old 02-17-18, 04:51 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Alright! I rode through SART today from Huntington Beach all the way to Tustin. Fortunately the trail was open today, but the barriers are ready to go up on Tuesday.

My observation is that there are dramatically fewer "camps" than before but still a ton of campers. And also a ton of trash and debris. Today's special feature - lots of UHaul trucks near the trail, a couple government vans impeding easy passage and over by the bathrooms opposite Angel Stadium there were probably 10-20 cars ON THE TRAIL. Lots of dogooders walking 6 abreast on the trail... c'mon people.

I am really looking forward to the eventual end of the "cleanup". It was amusing to note that at every entrance to the trail, there are signs prohibiting loitering, camping, you name it.
@jonc123 - this isn't really a tourism trail, this is just a great place to ride away from traffic and stop signs (when it's free from all the crap on it now). If you want to do beer tourism, center google maps on Vista California and type in "brewery". Besides which, riding your bike in Oceanside, Carslbad etc. is just awesome anyway.
Old 02-17-18, 06:00 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the update TrojanHorse. What barricades are you talking about that will be going up? They are going to block the trail off during the cleanup operation?

Thinking about commuting Lincoln->beach once this cleanup is done....taken a couple years off from once a week commuting due to the homeless camps (riding through streams of urine on the ground isn't a good way to start the day).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.