Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Am I not worthy?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Am I not worthy?

Old 12-13-18, 01:44 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Am I not worthy?

I have toured numerous times. Never more than a week and I have not conquered continents. I love to ride, I love to be independent and I love earning the right to enjoy a view/sight/panorama because I sweated, grunted and burned my way to get there.
I also like to watch other tourers, particularly on Youtube. Their trips throughout different parts of the planet. Camping, Warm Showers, B&B, it does not matter. However, When I see that many of these tourers have particular "non-habits", I feel inadequate. I speak of the vegan-tourers, the tea-totaler-tourers, the sleeping-on-the-ground without shelter types.

Yes, I am beer drinking, omnivore. At the end of a long day of riding, I want a cold one with a great steak. No, I am not a svelte rider. 225 lbs with some healthy love handles, but still, I love to ride.
Should I feel inadequate because of my dietary vices? or should I pity the fool who sleeps in a non-breathable sack (because it weighs 1/2 lb) with a cold bowl of beans after a 100 km ride?
Everyone to their own, but do these people accomplish more because they have renounced the "evils" of humanity?
-Would I be able to finish the ultimate tour?
-Is it personal satisfaction, or is it bragging rights?
-Is it physical conditioning or the desire to arrive?
Would I be able to tour with a rider who eats a salad with mineral water while I am pounding back a good cabernet and chewing on a porterhouse?
What say you?

BTW, no need to lecture me about my insecurities, if they are real, at this point you won't be able to extinguish them.

Old 12-13-18, 02:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
O.K. I'll bite. (Pun intended.)

If you can't find anything better to pound in NE Italy than a cabernet, I'd say you have more important things to worry about.
Old 12-13-18, 02:34 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
No, because many of us do our tours, maybe talk about it on here or in person with friends, and go on with our lives. Most people don't have a lifestyle (and in many cases, a brand if not an outright product) they are trying to peddle, and as such, evangelizing others via YouTube simply isn't a priority. You'd never know my wife has been on a couple Euro bike tours, if I didn't talk about it for her.

And what @indyfabz said.
Old 12-13-18, 02:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Cabin Fever?

Not.even 1st day of winter yet,that is still 8 days away..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-17-18 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 03:46 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
My touring life is too embarrassing to be viewed on YouTube.

I generally buy a six pack for the evening camping. (hey, a six pack in america cost about the same as three individual beers)
I defecate in the woods without digging a hole

I don't train for any tour.....ever.
And on top of everything i don't wear bicycle specific clothing (except for a helmet)
I've been doing it this way for 30 years

You are worthy (or both of us aren't)
Old 12-13-18, 03:49 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

If you can't find anything better to pound in NE Italy than a cabernet, I'd say you have more important things to worry about.
Drinking beer in Italy does make it seem like the OP may not be quite "tour worthy."
Old 12-13-18, 04:16 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Same goes for Porterhouse steak. In Italy? Veal maybe.
Old 12-13-18, 04:44 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Yes, I am beer drinking, omnivore. At the end of a long day of riding, I want a cold one with a great steak. ...
Yeah, you are not worthy.

Old 12-13-18, 04:48 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Im too old now to be concerned about the very small percentage of riders who are totally hard core and have never compared myself to harder, faster, stronger riders--- now or nearly 30 years ago when I started trying out this bike travelling thing and realized that I am very average in ability.
Lets face it, the vast majority of folks who do bike touring are regular folks, who need to sleep well, eat well and do reasonable distances per day.
Having a good time is the whole idea, so thats the only thing that matters.

there, does that make you feel better? If you appreciate my advice, please send the Mondials over.....
Old 12-13-18, 06:35 PM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
djb hit the nail on the head .
Old 12-13-18, 07:07 PM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My line of thinking is, if your favorite part of bike touring is luxury coffee, restaurants, warm beds, why bother with the tour? Why not stay in town and eat at restaurants, drink expensive coffee, and sleep at home, or in a hotel? You'd be happier. The point of bike touring (and hiking), to me, is to simplify life and come closer to understanding how little you need, not how much.

But there are others that think bike touring is supposed to be fun (and it is!), and to them fun means beer, restaurants, luxury coffee, etc. If you're not having fun, why go? Which is...almost the exact same question I have.

It's the same line of thinking, but with opposite conclusions. Draw your own.
Old 12-13-18, 07:22 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Own your lifestyle or change it - but don't drag others into it in such a passive aggressive manner. No judging, only stating the fact that your whole post is one big insecure backhanded attack on people who make different choices than you.

Fwiw: Non drinking, vegetarian, physically active, low comfort tourer. Never felt the need to ask if I was as worthy as any other random people I see on the interwebs.

Just do your thing.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 12-13-18 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 08:01 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts

Old 12-13-18, 08:49 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Beer is good for lunch too! Do you have Bloody Mary's in Italy? Nice way to start the day sometimes, good with brunch.
Old 12-13-18, 10:17 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BlarneyHammer
My line of thinking is, if your favorite part of bike touring is luxury coffee, restaurants, warm beds, why bother with the tour? Why not stay in town and eat at restaurants, drink expensive coffee, and sleep at home, or in a hotel? You'd be happier. The point of bike touring (and hiking), to me, is to simplify life and come closer to understanding how little you need, not how much.

But there are others that think bike touring is supposed to be fun (and it is!), and to them fun means beer, restaurants, luxury coffee, etc. If you're not having fun, why go? Which is...almost the exact same question I have.

It's the same line of thinking, but with opposite conclusions. Draw your own.
Yep. TO me, I ask the folks who value nothing but utter simplicity and like stealth camping in the woods why even bother with the bike, just go hike in the woods and make it even more simple and close to nature. But, its what makes them happy and doesn't affect me, so I hope they have a good time doing it!

Honestly, I'm the top line, and I enjoy it because it takes vacations I was more or less already enjoying and adds cycling to them, with the bonus of seeing lands and towns I'd normally blow through on a bus or train or car.
Old 12-13-18, 10:54 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by BlarneyHammer
Touring did make me realize "how little you need".
It was astonishing.
But now that I'm over it I like expensive coffee and cheap beer on tour.
Old 12-13-18, 10:57 PM
MarcusT

Don't dis the cab, they make some excellent vintages here.
Old 12-13-18, 10:58 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Not.even 1st day of winter yet,that is still 8 days away..
It's the darkness
Old 12-13-18, 11:01 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by alan s
Same goes for Porterhouse steak. In Italy? Veal maybe.
Google "la fiorentina" steak
Old 12-13-18, 11:05 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by djb
Im too old now to be concerned about the very small percentage of riders who are totally hard core and have never compared myself to harder, faster, stronger riders--- now or nearly 30 years ago when I started trying out this bike travelling thing and realized that I am very average in ability.
Lets face it, the vast majority of folks who do bike touring are regular folks, who need to sleep well, eat well and do reasonable distances per day.
Having a good time is the whole idea, so thats the only thing that matters.

there, does that make you feel better? If you appreciate my advice, please send the Mondials over.....
Kind of makes me feel better. After all I can still enjoy the luxuries even when I don't ride, just with a little guilt (very little).

The tires are in the mail
Old 12-13-18, 11:10 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Own your lifestyle or change it - but don't drag others into it in such a passive aggressive manner. No judging, only stating the fact that your whole post is one big insecure backhanded attack on people who make different choices than you.

Just do your thing.
Really? I thought this post was all about me
BTW, I think you missed the previous BTW
Old 12-13-18, 11:32 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
No it's about creating a false sense of judgement between two styles of touring that only exists in your mind. Try describing how YOU like to tour without the drama.

As someone in the "other" category you are not so subtly trying to run down in a backhandwd way I don't appreciate the dis. That's the only thing not worthy - of a mature adult.
Old 12-13-18, 11:33 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Really? I thought this post was all about me
BTW, I think you missed the previous BTW
He's really OK. Trust me on that.

His reference has been more about some who post on BFs with derision of long established members who see no reason to comply with certain aspects of cycling development. It is at the point now where some just why we bother posting anything all.
Old 12-13-18, 11:35 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
No it's about creating a false sense of judgement between two styles of touring that only exists in your mind. Try describing how YOU like to tour without the drama.

As someone in the "other" category you are not so subtly trying to run down in a backhandwd way I don't appreciate the dis. That's the only thing not worthy - of a mature adult.
Apologies, if you feel dissed.
Again, it's about me
Old 12-14-18, 03:49 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I have toured numerous times. Never more than a week and I have not conquered continents. I love to ride, I love to be independent and I love earning the right to enjoy a view/sight/panorama because I sweated, grunted and burned my way to get there.
I also like to watch other tourers, particularly on Youtube. Their trips throughout different parts of the planet. Camping, Warm Showers, B&B, it does not matter. However, When I see that many of these tourers have particular "non-habits", I feel inadequate. I speak of the vegan-tourers, the tea-totaler-tourers, the sleeping-on-the-ground without shelter types.

Yes, I am beer drinking, omnivore. At the end of a long day of riding, I want a cold one with a great steak. No, I am not a svelte rider. 225 lbs with some healthy love handles, but still, I love to ride.
Should I feel inadequate because of my dietary vices? or should I pity the fool who sleeps in a non-breathable sack (because it weighs 1/2 lb) with a cold bowl of beans after a 100 km ride?
Everyone to their own, but do these people accomplish more because they have renounced the "evils" of humanity?
-Would I be able to finish the ultimate tour?
-Is it personal satisfaction, or is it bragging rights?
-Is it physical conditioning or the desire to arrive?
Would I be able to tour with a rider who eats a salad with mineral water while I am pounding back a good cabernet and chewing on a porterhouse?
What say you?

BTW, no need to lecture me about my insecurities, if they are real, at this point you won't be able to extinguish them.

Live your own life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.