Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

LHT Rear Deraileur Hangar fixed or bolted on ?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 11-04-19, 10:30 AM
jambon

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi ,

Quick Question. I can't make this out from online images; Is the rear deraileur hangar on a LHT part of the frame or is it bolted in position ?

Thanks ,

J
Old 11-04-19, 10:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
The hanger was part of the 2004 LHT frame I had.

They have changed their frames a few times, so I can't comment on newer ones.
Old 11-04-19, 11:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
My 2011 is integrated.
Old 11-04-19, 12:15 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
The current disk trucker on their website sure looks like it's part of the frame as far as I can tell. Crazy. Even cheap box store bikes often have replaceable hangars these days...
Old 11-04-19, 12:47 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
There is not much need for replacable rear derailleur hangers on a steel frame. Unlike aluminum frames, the hanger on a steel frame can be bent back into alignment. It is my understanding with aluminum frames and breaking the deraileur hangers is that the hanger is designed to fail before causing damage to the main frame. I've only had it happen once when my chain broke causing the rear derailleur to go into the spokes. The hanger did what it was supposed to do and cleanly broke off.

We have three LHTs in our family, the newest is about 2010, and all have integrated rear derailleur hangers.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-04-19 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 01:05 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
Hi ...
As Doug and others have stated, the derailleur hanger on steel frames is part of the frame, and not bolt-on/replaceable because they can be bent back into proper position in the unlikely event of damage. If you bend an aluminum derailleur hanger and try to straighten it, it may break/snap off, which is why Al frames nowadays always have a replaceable derailleur hanger.

Technically speaking, on steel frames the derailleur hanger is part of the driveside dropout, which is welded to the stays and thus part of the frame. Here are some good images of Surly LHT (your browser may permit additional image enlargement).

Last edited by seeker333; 11-04-19 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 01:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
As Doug and others have stated, the derailleur hanger on steel frames is part of the frame, and not bolt-on/replaceable because they can be bent back into proper position in the unlikely event of damage.
I nearly destroyed the hanger of my first LHT. It got bent when I fell onto the bike in my house. Wet floor. Super heavy messenger bag. Some adult beverages involved. Yadda. Yadda. Yadda. That was during the winter. Bike was still rideable. But with crappy weather, I didn't take it out much. Decided to wait until spring to get it fixed. Totally forgot. Took the bike out one nice spring morning and decided to ride up a steep hill in the lowest gear to see just how low it felt. (I had done mostly flat riding until then.)

The minute I shifted into the granny I heard the disturbing sound of my RD aspolding and knew exactly what I had done: Shifted the RD cage into the spokes. The cage disintegrated and the body, along with the hanger, had been twisted up. I had to skateboard and then walk home. Fortunately, I was maybe 3 miles from my house. Amazingly, the LBS where I had bought the bike was able to straighten the hanger, and the hole was no so ovalized that it would not accept the new RD screw.
Old 11-04-19, 01:53 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Disagree with the "not much need" statement, based on personal experience.

There are modern production steel frames now that have replaceable hangers and personally I will never again buy one with a fixed hanger.

The only caveat is this was on a gravel bike and I thrash my gear pretty soundly. On a road bike or touring bike it might not be such a risk.
Old 11-04-19, 08:58 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I had a Disc Trucker repainted & neglected to tap out the derailleur hanger threads & damaged some of them installing the derailleur (looked square & didn't apply excessive force). Luckily after visit to LBS it still worked good enough, otherwise would be a more difficult repair.
Old 11-04-19, 09:28 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Surly have been making the LHT and its disk iteration for some time now.

I'm sure if they thought it was a bad idea they would have offered up a removable one by now.

With what I think is for the most part, worldwide distribution (they have sold excretement-loads of them), its suggests terminal frame issues aren't too common.
Likes For rifraf:
Old 11-05-19, 01:38 PM
3speed

My steel frame bike has a removable hanger. Steel frame or not, there's no reason not to have a removable hanger, as far as I know, other than cost. I don't think there are any drawbacks to a replaceable hanger. There are drawbacks to an integrated one. They're not always fixable when they get bent badly. Threads can still get stripped, pulled out when the derailer tries to free itself in a crash, etc.

Originally Posted by rifraf
I'm sure if they thought it was a bad idea they would have offered up a removable one by now.
That's that's really giving the benefit of the doubt and pretending they aren't a corporation. Surly, (grumpily, as you might guess by their name) does plenty of things that they defend as "correct" without actually being right. So does every company. It's called profit. I'm not even arguing right or wrong on the derailer thing. I'm just saying that the fact that they haven't changed it has Nothing to do with whether or not they think it would be better to have it integrated or removable. It's a lot cheaper to have it integrated.
Old 11-05-19, 08:44 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Truckers are fairly expensive for a production steel frame & since touring bikes are vulnerable to damage during transport, for instance, the replaceable hanger would be cheap insurance IMO. Bilenky says $150+ to braze on new der hanger.
Old 11-05-19, 09:08 PM
3speed

That's the thing, though. They're fairly expensive for what they are. So they make a nice profit off of each one sold. That helps you take up the slack on the ones that get damaged during shipping, and is cheaper on the production line and less labor cost.